joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Observation

JoshM

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mother of God, this is by far the heaviest snow I've seen. We're in the pivot point so it just keep wrapping into us over and over.

It's also the most beautiful scene I've ever experienced.  Thank you mother nature.

We'll be in double digits by the afternoon if this keeps up.

How'd the folks in Pickens and Oconee Co, SC do with the snow last night?  The Clemson webcams showed some snow this morning, but it seems like this was a big bust for you guys.  

There's something about the location of those areas relative to the mountains that causes them to miss out on the big snows so often.  It weird: that never seemed to happen there when I was growing up in the 80s but you can almost count on it with every storm now.

We got the usual mountain screw job. It snowed very fine flakes from around 8 am yesterday to 3pm and then turned to sleet continuing most of the night. It was still sleeting when I went to be at 2am. There is probably 4 inches on the ground here in Easley. I know it's better than nothing, but nowhere near the "Once in 25 years" event that was forecast. Hell, we got more on Christmas day in 2010.

We need a model just for this area. I propose something based on the Euro, then subtracting 66% of the precip. We could just make it look prettier and call it the Upstate Model.

Mother of God, this is by far the heaviest snow I've seen. We're in the pivot point so it just keep wrapping into us over and over.

It's also the most beautiful scene I've ever experienced.  Thank you mother nature.

We'll be in double digits by the afternoon if this keeps up.

Nice, I can't stay in the consistent heavy stuff down here so far but that seems to be changing.

10.5" 3 day total

Sweet! More than what I got/have here in NW of town.  Had about an inch on Tuesday that quickly melted, about 3" snow before adding what looked like an inch to inch and a half of sleet on top of that.  As for now I'm probably closing in on two inches of fluff.  So that's around 7-7.5" total for the 3 days, and that might be even a little generous.  Never could cash in on the rates and dendrite size you guys to my SE did Tuesday and yesterday before going to sleet.

How'd the folks in Pickens and Oconee Co, SC do with the snow last night?  The Clemson webcams showed some snow this morning, but it seems like this was a big bust for you guys.  

There's something about the location of those areas relative to the mountains that causes them to miss out on the big snows so often.  It weird: that never seemed to happen there when I was growing up in the 80s but you can almost count on it with every storm now.

Yep,

That’s the story of my life here. I’ve never seen a snow fall bigger than 6 inches and I am 28 years old and lived here my whole life. (I was too young to remember Jan 88.)

We wound up with basically 2 inches of snow, followed by 1 inch of sleet/freezing rain, followed by 1/4 inch of fresh snow this morning.

So a grand total of about 3 inches on the ground... actually less due to snow compaction.   :axe:

Archived