joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Observation

JoshM

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6" snow + 1/2" sleet in North Raleigh. We are supposed to get another inch or two tomorrow but honestly this has been such a great storm I would be totally fine with what we have as long as the rain doesn't wash too much of it away. It really overperformed for us, which I don't ever remember happening. I feel REALLY badly for everyone in the Triad/Upstate SC. When you are told many, many , many times that you should get at least 10 to 12 inches and you get half of that it must be a real bummer. I hope you guys get nailed by the deformation band tomorrow.

True enough, but it isn't unexpected for that to happen.

Radar trends are starting to look a little better for here.  We can probably do some good pinging for a few hours.

You should do well the next 6-7 hours with sleet, probably not what you wanted but it will be a skating rink tomorrow, then we need to figure out where that ULL is tracking tomorrow and that it closes off at the right time

Haven't taken a ruler out to measure, but I'd say I had about 3" of snow, 1" ip, and a glaze of fzra all compacted into about 3".  I guess I should be happy with that considering the last couple winters here.  Although to be modeled in the jackpot zone and end up in the screw zone makes me want to :gun_bandana:   I will def keep this storm in the back of my mind in the future and remember the warm nose that edges in during a large storm like this, not to mention the moisture robbing convection.  If only we could have gone with the original big overrunning event I think we could have jackpoted in the Upstate.  It was impressive seeing this much sleet, prob some of the most I have ever seen with a storm.  I'm not hold out much hope for the deformation band, but you never know.  Maybe I'll wake up to a nice surprise.

Phil - can you explain more about the inverted trough and strong wedge in terms of how it impacted precip amounts?

Sure... so there are favored regions of confluence that are produced when you have a wedge occurring in the presence of a rapidly intensifying cyclone at the surface and aloft. The wedge naturally forces an inverted trough along TN where downsloping produces lee cyclogenesis. As the upper-level cyclone ramps up, the heights start to crash and force lift, and the first place the lift is favored is where this confluence axis sets up just to the west of the inverted trough produced by this downsloping flow. When temperatures are cold enough, you get some decent snow events this way. Earlier today most of these locations were getting rain, but as the CAA started to ramp up behind on the edge of this inverted trough, everyone transitioned over to snow. Unfortunately if not your not in the deformation band, you might find yourself in the "dry slot" which commonly occurs between the deformation band and the WAA induced snowfall in the front end of the vent. Since the confluence favored the band further west due to the inverted trough... the deformation band set up further west than expected, something that wasn't necessarily well forecasted by the models. 

Thanks for the info!  I'm probably done with snow then.... as far as accumulations.

I wouldn't say done... but you probably won't get under the very heaviest rates of the deformation band, but maybe side-swiped as it goes by. 

269948_622587471104645_2091126056_a.jpg

precip in west NC should redevelop overnight . ‪#‎tnwx‬ eastern is in for slamming all night. Quite a bit more to come. some 18" totals likely

Not trusting any model right now on that upper low in Northern Alabama. It has nearly stalled. Means big snow ‪#‎etnwx‬ ‪#‎tnwx‬ ‪#‎wncwx‬ all night

Thanks, but I don't like that huge dry slot to our SW

the radar will beging to orient north to south as we go through the night. it will fill in again over nga/sc and western NC. how heavy this band is i can't tell you, but the dynamics will be solid as the trough continues to sharpen and 5h low cuts off. We have had storms in the past totally dependent on this portion of the storm. i feel pretty confident an additional 3-6 is possible tomorrow morning over the foothills/n piedmont

Phil don't seem to positive on the Deformation band in NC? says it's in TN. Thoughts?

I mean you can see the hole starting to appear in the WNC mountains... the strong band over TN isn't pivoting yet and we need this to shift more N/S to really get in on the action in WNC.

codnexlab.NEXRAD.GSP.N0Q.20140213.425.04

the radar will beging to orient north to south as we go through the night. it will fill in again over nga/sc and western NC. how heavy this band is i can't tell you, but the dynamics will be solid as the trough continues to sharpen and 5h low cuts off. We have had storms in the past totally dependent on this portion of the storm. i feel pretty confident an additional 3-6 is possible tomorrow morning over the foothills/n piedmont

How much you up to? I had 7 but sleeted last 3 hours or so. :axe:

Sure... so there are favored regions of confluence that are produced when you have a wedge occurring in the presence of a rapidly intensifying cyclone at the surface and aloft. The wedge naturally forces an inverted trough along TN where downsloping produces lee cyclogenesis. As the upper-level cyclone ramps up, the heights start to crash and force lift, and the first place the lift is favored is where this confluence axis sets up just to the west of the inverted trough produced by this downsloping flow. When temperatures are cold enough, you get some decent snow events this way. Earlier today most of these locations were getting rain, but as the CAA started to ramp up behind on the edge of this inverted trough, everyone transitioned over to snow. Unfortunately if not your not in the deformation band, you might find yourself in the "dry slot" which commonly occurs between the deformation band and the WAA induced snowfall in the front end of the vent. Since the confluence favored the band further west due to the inverted trough... the deformation band set up further west than expected, something that wasn't necessarily well forecasted by the models. 

Thanks for the explanation

You should do well the next 6-7 hours with sleet, probably not what you wanted but it will be a skating rink tomorrow, then we need to figure out where that ULL is tracking tomorrow and that it closes off at the right time

I've accepted the pingers for the rest of the night.  I'll take them in stride.  It's better than nothing and I've got 6" on the ground, so there's really nothing to complain about.  The roads are a total disaster (having IP rather than SN probably made them worse, in fact) and it looks like a four-day weekend is on tap.  If we really go crazy with the sleet, we might be able to make it to 7" or 8".  8" would be a nice benchmark as I haven't gotten that much snow since January 2002.

Either way, we verified our Winter Storm Warning for 6-10".

The ULL definitely interests me tomorrow.  As HKY_WX says, we've had storms totally dependent on this portion of the storm in the past (ex: 1/17/13, IIRC?).  The HRRR definitely paints a pretty picture.  It's a wild card, but I think we'd all be very excited about the possibility if we didn't already get a major winter storm the day prior.  I'm looking forward to it.

Sledding will be fantastic for the kids for 2-3 days at this point. So for those wanting more, you are really deciding on whether you want to be functional by Saturday or Monday. I need my kids back in school and my boat in the water. This has been awesome, i will hit the hills tomorrow, but i have enough at 6.5" of combo snow. This stuff wont melt!

Archived