Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Big One - Observation

JoshM

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Closing in on 6 inches here. Heavy snow still falling. Local emergency management stating that snowfall rates of 2 inches per hour is on it's way for the next couple hours. Man if we can get that batch from Birmingham to roll through here then no doubt I'll finish in double digits.

I see what you mean. Wish it was happening overhead here. I keep watching it...does it look like it's filling back in in far NE Alabama? One thing I don't really understand is how that whole mass will rotate enough to give the Atlanta area some more snow. The Atlanta local TV mets have been saying for a couple of hours now that it's going to do this, but it appears to be moving too quickly off to the NE.

Would've been nice for sure; can't really tell what's going to happen; have been watching it since it developed.  It honestly looked like a large t-storm that now has an outflow boundary on the E/SE side.  Pretty wild for them..  Who knows for us.

Town of DOBSON,NC

***URGENT***

The Town Manager and Mayor have issued a proclamation declaring a Municipal State of Emergency for the Town of Dobson. Current projections estimate snowfall totals that could reach 16 inches locally by Thursday evening. As a result, the Town has imposed a mandatory curfew for vehicular traffic within the Town limits effective at 6:00 pm tonight (2/12/14) until lifted by the Mayor or Town Manager. No person shall travel upon any street, alley, or roadway or upon any other public property while this provision of the municipal State of Emergency Proclamation is in effect. Violators can be charged with a misdemeanor under town code and NCGS 14-4. 

The following are exempt from this provision: law enforcement officers; firefighters and other public employees; doctors, nurses, employees of hospitals and other medical facilities; on-duty military personnel, whether state or federal; on-duty employees of public utilities, public transportation companies and newspaper, magazine, radio broadcasting and television broadcasting corporations operated for profit; and such other classes of persons as may be essential to the preservation of public order and immediately necessary to serve the safety, health and welfare needs of the people within the town. 

This provision is to ensure the safety of our residents and to mitigate the strain on public safety resources. Stranded vehicles and those involved in accidents cause a major strain on resources. In addition, vehicles that collide with power poles cause major outages. This proclamation serves to alleviate some of these concerns. Please abide by this proclamation and stay home, stay warm, and stay safe. We love our residents too much to see something terrible happen to any one!!!

My God. Reports of 6" per hour rates in Birmingham  :o

Just what I've looked up the last few minutes appears the vorticity max is almost a snow thunderstorm kicker; acts almost like a t-storm except with snow.  If we could get one over us that would make this storm.  Would love to hear more about them from somebody who can explain it.

Took a walk around my neighborhood south of Raleigh, and noticed icicles forming on streetlights and uncleared cars, but it's not bad yet.  A slight sheen to the trees, but no sagging.  Seemed like I felt some rain in the sleet, but it was hard to tell.  By the time I got back to the house a few minutes ago, I thought I saw some more precip getting blown around, even though it wasn't that windy.  Either really tiny pellets or tiny flakes.

Archived