joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Observation

JoshM

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the northward jog of the snow/sleet line has stopped for now in the Triad.  I'm on the wrong side of it, but maybe we can move that sucker south/east again.

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=RAX-N0C-1-48

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=FCX-N0C-0-24#

Yep, Davidson County is all yellow now. I assume that is sleet? Will we see any of that precip. south of us move through tonight?

Champagne snow and sleet on that first walk around the neighborhood in West Mecklenburg. Interesting enough, no crust and hardly any compaction with all the sleet we had, almost like it's just been pixie dust and graupel the whole time these past 4 hours instead of pure sleet, adding up to not a whole lot of nothing. Not a hint of freezing drizzle/rain here. Patiently waiting up see where the changeover sets up.

Champagne snow and sleet on that first walk around the neighborhood in West Mecklenburg. Interesting enough, no crust and hardly any compaction with all the sleet we had, almost like it's just been pixie dust and graupel the whole time these past 4 hours instead of pure sleet, adding up to not a whole lot of nothing. Not a hint of freezing drizzle/rain here. Patiently waiting up see where the changeover sets up.

Yep same here. It's been sleeting but outside on the snow you can't tell. Heavy sleet here a few miles south of uptown. 

Moderate snow here now (about 10 miles south of Gainesville, Ga.  Finally changed over around 7:30 PM.  Nice decent sized flakes coming down......if it does this off and on throughout the night we'll probably pick up another several inches or so.  Honestly, it's probably a good thing it's supposed to warm up pretty quick after this......if we entered another cold spell after this it probably wouldn't melt for almost a week with the freezing rain, then sleet, then snow in layers!

Ive been keeping an eye on Clemson's webcams.

http://www.clemson.edu/webcams/

I have, too.  My parents in Clemson said that it had gone from freezing rain back to sleet at 6:30 PM and it appears that the sleet is piling up pretty good there right now.  I'll be interested to see when it goes back to snow.  Folks in the area please send in your reports!

They only had about 2" of snow this morning, so this storm is going to be a big disappointment if they can't get a few inches of snow overnight.

That is correct NeGa and dual pole radar is about the same concept.

50/50 snow / sleet after 4 hours of ZR! Maybe we can get a couple more inches of something out of this to lessen the sting of failure.

thanks!  and i agree on that. my power just went out but fortunately is back yay!  i was surprised cos after the zr i was back to all sleet.  there is .15-.20 maybe?  glaze over everything and ice cycles had started forming lol

at this point a couple of more inches to wrap this storm up would be more than welcome

I have, too.  My parents in Clemson said that it had gone from freezing rain back to sleet at 6:30 PM and it appears that the sleet is piling up pretty good there right now.  I'll be interested to see when it goes back to snow.  Folks in the area please send in your reports!

They only had about 2" of snow this morning, so this storm is going to be a big disappointment if they can't get a few inches of snow overnight.

I’m in Clemson

We’ve gotten 1.8 inches of snow, followed by an inch of IP and a glaze of ice on tree’s. I’m expecting it to switch back to snow at any moment!

Interesting watching the radar loop for the AL snow; almost like a Thunderstorm raining itself out.

I see what you mean. Wish it was happening overhead here. I keep watching it...does it look like it's filling back in in far NE Alabama? One thing I don't really understand is how that whole mass will rotate enough to give the Atlanta area some more snow. The Atlanta local TV mets have been saying for a couple of hours now that it's going to do this, but it appears to be moving too quickly off to the NE.

LOL this storm is so fickle....or I've got a dry slot over my house! Nothing going on here in my part of the county anymore. Thank goodness for the picture postcard snows yesterday.

This has been a very very strange storm.  IDK where you are, but the eastern half of Cherokee County has been dry as a bone most of the day, other than occasionally spitting sleet a couple times midafternoon.  It's apparently (given all the texts my friends and relatives are sending me) now snowing cats and dogs in Cobb to the south and the WEST half of Cherokee, and east of here in places like Forsyth - but the east half of Cherokee is, again, still dry.  I watched a big spot of snowy precip on radar that inundated Smyrna half an hour ago (photo proof texted to me from a friend, lol) just dissolve into nothing as it headed northeast towards us a few minutes ago.  It's the weirdest thing ever, because usually this part of the county gets some of the highest totals around.  And yet today, there's been solid pecip (of varying kinds) in all compass directions but here.

Very weird.  Gonna end this little boondoggle with about 1.5" of sleet that was laid down before 9am this morning, a glaze of ice that was laid down by 3am this morning, and little else.

The three hour snow thing yesterday was a lot more fun, even though it melted in an hour. :)

I have, too. My parents in Clemson said that it had gone from freezing rain back to sleet at 6:30 PM and it appears that the sleet is piling up pretty good there right now. I'll be interested to see when it goes back to snow. Folks in the area please send in your reports!

Here in Simpsonville , we are all sleet. Just had a downpour of sleet and pellets were as big as I have ever seen! Does this mean its about to go to snow? Temp 26.3

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
CIVIL EMERGENCY MESSAGE
ALABAMA EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY CLANTON ALABAMA
RELAYED BY NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BIRMINGHAM AL
712 PM CST WED FEB 12 2014

THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS TRANSMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF THE
COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCIES IN MARION...WINSTON...
BLOUNT...ETOWAH...LAMAR...FAYETTE...WALKER...JEFFERSON...AND
ST. CLAIR COUNTIES.

NUMEROUS ROADWAYS...BOTH MAJOR THROUGH FARES AND LESSER TRAVELED
ROADWAYS...ARE EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS AND IN SOME CASES IMPASSABLE.
THESE CONDITIONS WILL PERSIST THROUGH THE OVERNIGHT HOURS. THESE
COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCIES REQUEST THAT TRAVEL BE
LIMITED TO EMERGENCIES ONLY FOR YOUR SAFETY AND THE SAFETY OF
FIRST RESPONDERS.

$$

Archived