SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Big One - Observation

JoshM

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to call bust in Easley, SC. Ultra fine flakes all day since 8am, not even at 3 inches and now transitioned to all sleet. I have to admit I fell for all of the hype and models for the last 10 days which makes it all that much more disappointing. We would have had more from yeterday's wave had the ground not been so warm. Then the cold gets here and the precip is an epic fail. I'm speechless now. Where did the 8-12 inches go?????

During ~2-3 PM, I got just over 1/2" of new sleet!  Add that to the nearly 1" I had this morning..so ~1.5" total sleet along with perhaps ~0.15" of ice buildup. Actually, it is 1" of sleet on the bottom, then a freezing drizzle caused thin slick layer above that, and then 1/2" of sleet above that from this new sleet. By the way, 1/2" sleet per hour is equivalent to something like 1 1/4" of snow per hour and ~.10-15" of liquid/hour. Not to shabby at all! I roughly estimate that there as of 3 PM there has been 0.75" of liquid equiv. here in Dunwoody since midnight in the form of a little rain (say 0.10"), ~0.25" of ZR/ZL, and 0.35-0.40" of sleet.

Now 28.9. radar shows precip. all of the way back to central Miss even now. I'm not saying that necessarily means continuous precip. til that gets past, but I am saying there will be precip. opportunities at least until it passes. In ATL, the precip. isn't likely to be all over for another 12-16 hours or so, say ~ 5 AM per the 12Z GFS and Euro!

To those in the ATL area complaining about not yet seeing snow, keep in mind that it wasn't even supposed to occur til tonight in the first place when 850's finally fall to 0C and colder. Any snow mixed in already today is just a bonus.

This continues to be a very enjoyable winter storm for me to experience here in Dunwoody.

Perhaps Atlanta or South but Northern 'Burbs the forecast was for snow as soon as early this morning.  Glad you're enjoying it; still consider it a bust from a snow standpoint.

lol @ Raleigh; will people never learn..

During ~2-3 PM, I got just over 1/2" of new sleet!  Add that to the nearly 1" I had this morning..so ~1.5" total sleet along with perhaps ~0.15" of ice buildup. Actually, it is 1" of sleet on the bottom, then a freezing drizzle caused thin slick layer above that, and then 1/2" of sleet above that from this new sleet. By the way, 1/2" sleet per hour is equivalent to something like 1 1/4" of snow per hour and ~.10-15" of liquid/hour. Not to shabby at all! I roughly estimate that there as of 3 PM there has been 0.75" of liquid equiv. here in Dunwoody since midnight in the form of a little rain (say 0.10"), ~0.25" of ZR/ZL, and 0.35-0.40" of sleet.

Now 28.9. radar shows precip. all of the way back to central Miss even now. I'm not saying that necessarily means continuous precip. til that gets past, but I am saying there will be precip. opportunities at least until it passes. In ATL, the precip. isn't likely to be all over for another 12-16 hours or so, say ~ 5 AM per the 12Z GFS and Euro!

To those in the ATL area complaining about not yet seeing snow, keep in mind that it wasn't even supposed to occur til tonight in the first place when 850's finally fall to 0C and colder. Any snow mixed in already today is just a bonus.

This continues to be a very enjoyable winter storm for me to experience here in Dunwoody.

i guess its relative (and i did get snow yesterday) but this has been an awesome storm! heavy snow, pounding sleet a little freezing drizzle.  looks like a glacier in the neighborhood.  amazing how sleet on top of snow can help keep it around a while longer :devilsmiley:

as far as i am concerned this storm is rocking and more to come. now if we happen to change back to snow? just a big time bonus woo hoo :D  we are in the middle of a raging southeast monster winter storm...temps in the mid 20s and precip just coming and coming :snowman:

What the heck is going on up there in Raleigh?  I mean, I know we had our moment down here a couple of weeks ago, but with the way this storm has been forecasted along with the crazy serious wording, how could anyone possibly be surprised up there????  :facepalm:

They kept saying that temps wouldn't be as cold as the storm a couple weeks ago and when it snowed it wouldn't be treacherous and then we hit a low of about 25 last night.  Also the snow started hard and fast. We got nothing yesterday and roads were clear. Jobs wouldn't allow us all to work from home.  Instead people came into work and then they closed work midday.

On the brighter side, I am pushing 5 inches.  The driveway i shoveled when it was around 3" is completely covered and it's all white...no hint of the driveway.

22.6 and snowing like crazy.

Archived