Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Big One - Observation

JoshM

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really coming down at the house. I barley out-raced the storm getting home from work. Wife is still in North Raleigh but she is basically at a stand still. Says there are tons of wreaks. Current temp at house has fallen to 21.1 degrees. It could rise by ten degrees and still be below freezing...amazing.

Terrible drive home from work in Morrisville to Cary. Didn't take but 10 minutes for the roads to turn into a sheet of ice. Thankfully I didn't have too many more hills to try and navigate.

Heard Edwards Mill heading toward Crabtree Mall in Raleigh is a real nightmare. Cars can't get down the hill safely after several spun out.

People beginning to ditch their cars in Raleigh all over place. 2005 Sequel!!! Plows are unable to plow now

I thought everyone claimed Atlanta was the only metro with incompetent drivers who don't know how to drive on ice and a government/DOT full of idiots? :)

Well bummer. Sleet already mixing in here in Dilworth. That didn't take too long. Hope we can get back to all snow before the deform band.

It may not be fully sleet. I experienced a less heavy version of this last year under that convective band. It doesn't lay down like sleet at all. It's just a really heavy wet snowflake if that makes sense. The bigger flakes are coming as I have nickle and quarter sized falling now. 

Heaviest snow I've ever seen. It's incredible how fast it's falling. Flakes are getting bigger now too. 

That seems to be a theme of this storm. I saw the largest snow flakes I've ever seen this morning. They were like mini saucer dishes coming down. It was incredible. Interesting how the last storm had that annoying star dust and this one has the giant, make you want to slap your momma, type flakes.

It may not be fully sleet. I experienced a less heavy version of this last year under that convective band. It doesn't lay down like sleet at all. It's just a really heavy wet snowflake if that makes sense. The bigger flakes are coming as I have nickle and quarter sized falling now.

Care to share those sized flakes? You guys to the SE are hoarding them! :P

This what I was thinking..Its not "pinging" or bouncing, so you may be right

I have the same thing here just 2 miles south of the state line. I don't think it's actually IP.

If it's what I have, it's not, just came in from letting the dogs out. Looked just like my pixie dust sized flakes sticking to each other. Now back to actual flakes, look dime-sized. Burger decided to share finally.

I have the same thing here just 2 miles south of the state line. I don't think it's actually IP.

If it's what I have, it's not, just came in from letting the dogs out. Looked just like my pixie dust sized flakes sticking to each other. Now back to actual flakes, look dime-sized. Burger decided to share finally.

What's up, SE crew? :)  Been an AWFULLY long time since I've last posted here, but considering our major system at hand here, I thought I'd start posting here to help with OBS.

Anyway, the snow is really coming down here in southwestern Gaston county!  Flakes went from being very fine to large in a matter of 2 minutes while I went walking out to a nearby Dollar Tree, which was real tough when you're having to face the wind AND the blowing snow!  Temp has fallen to 22° with DP matching it.  Was at 27° with a DP of 18° at 7am before the snow began.

Archived