Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Big One - Observation

JoshM

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the radar it's pivoting more NNE to NNW now. 

You're right it looks like that now. 

What radar are you looking at?  Looks like it's headed straight for us, and more building behind it as it comes into view.

I'm referring to the radar in NE GA and NW SC.  Looks kind of sparse.  Hoping it fills in.

Lull is over and sleet has picked up in intensity here in Big Canoe, Ga. north of McElroy Mt. at 1700'.   We went over briefly to freezing drizzle, but now the radar is filling in to the west.    Temp. 27F. 

NE Cherokee County, GA.

Temp:  27

DP:  27

Winds:  gusting E 21

Precip: none of any note since about 9am

So far, we are significantly below forecast precip for the area on an hour by hour basis.  I think that even if it starts living up to the forecasts later, we'll overall end up below total forecast; it would have to exceed/overperform tonight to get us up to the total precip/snowfall maps that were tossed out for here.

I was looking at the NWS page radar. Heaviest precip looked too South.

It's the fine flakes that is frustrating no doubt, 2 hrs and a .10 of an inch to show but just gotta be patient. Considering better dendrite growth is being produced in this storm when you get under a heavier return, I'm not too worried at the moment. Ready to see what this storm can do when it goes BOOM.

Not a problem at all... all these terms can get confusing. In some cases, you can actually get a deformation band that forms along the warm front where WAA and CAA are battling each other, helping to tighten the temperature gradient and form the front (frontogenesis). This case though the frontogenesis is "tilted" since the CAD wedge and associated CAA is strongest around 925 hPa and the WAA associated with the warm front is riding over between 850-700 hPa. So the "deformation" doesn't occur at one specific level you can point to on the map, and it typically results in a pretty widespread area of snowfall as a result. 

We need a "like" feature" for great posts. Awesome information. Thank you again. 

I'm in NW SC (Pickens County) - snowing harder here than it has all day and flakes are getting larger.  Sitting at just under 2".  Radar watching with everyone else, but NWS GSP just revised totals up with 11AM update.  Looks like on model guidance heavier banding will not occur until after 2-3P.

It is soooooo dry here in the triad. Now with the wind picking up I am questioning how much qpf it will take to drop to the surface. This is a frozen booger kind of dry. Temps still dropping too.

Radar returns show the snow level(virga) dropping in the northern sections of NC triad and RDU. Should start seeing flurries here shortly probably another hour or so.

UP stream from you and we are also seeing heavier returns. Vis has went down greatly. 

I'm in NW SC (Pickens County) - snowing harder here than it has all day and flakes are getting larger.  Sitting at just under 2".  Radar watching with everyone else, but NWS GSP just revised totals up with 11AM update.  Looks like on model guidance heavier banding will not occur until after 2-3P.

Archived