• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Burns' Big Banter Bonanza

NCsandhills

Yeah those really low numbers are shocking and what caught my attention the quickest. I said earlier i would be angry if the forecast was for up to a foot and only got 4. but if the forecast was for 8 to 12 and I got 0, every body better watch out and get the hell away from me for a few days...or weeks lol To say I would be angry is an understatement as big as that bust.I feel bad for anyone that is a weather geek living there  getting  screwed that horribly.

What is especially bad is that area appeared to have the best chance of staying all snow  in south carolina since that  area was supposed to be the coldest place in the upstate aloft. Just go back and look at the nam/gfs 850mb temps over the extreme northwest part of the upstate over on twister.  It really blows my mind totals were that low.

So I don't blame gsp or any forecaster for it because quite frankly the models never showed such low totals, have plenty of cold air with any changeover/mixing not happening until later vs everyone else.

Lol yeah. I don't even see how that happens. Then other parts of the county got 5 inches.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the golden rule for winter weather across the SE, particularly it seems in central NC and SC....you want it to start early and hard...because eventually climo will take over and turn you to IP or ZR 99% of the time with a good QPF system.  The big ones always have a powerful warm nose that overperforms the models....

Lol this is the discussion from Jacksonville this morning. I believe we were the only to get the wintry precip.

SLIGHT CHANCE OF FLURRIES, SLEET OR SPRINKLES NORTH OF WAYCROSS

DURING THE MID TO LATE MORNING HOURS...

.UPDATE...

FINAL TWIST IN THIS LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM IS MID LEVEL DISTURBANCE

(VORTICITY MAX) SWINGING THROUGH THE BASE OF THE MID LEVEL TROF

ACROSS CENTRAL GEORGIA WHICH IS CURRENTLY PRODUCING SNOW SHOWERS

ACROSS CENTRAL GEORGIA. THIS IS ROTATING E/SE AND WILL POSSIBLY

CLIP PORTIONS OF INLAND SE GA NORTH OF WAYCROSS DURING THE MID TO

LATE MORNING HOURS. A BRIEF BUT POSSIBLY INTENSE PERIOD OF SNOW

FLURRIES, SLEET PELLETS AND SPRINKLES MAY OCCUR IN THIS AREA AND

HAVE UPDATED THE GRIDS TO REFLECT THIS.

Lol this is the discussion from Jacksonville this morning. I believe we were the only to get the wintry precip.

SLIGHT CHANCE OF FLURRIES, SLEET OR SPRINKLES NORTH OF WAYCROSS

DURING THE MID TO LATE MORNING HOURS...

.UPDATE...

FINAL TWIST IN THIS LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM IS MID LEVEL DISTURBANCE

(VORTICITY MAX) SWINGING THROUGH THE BASE OF THE MID LEVEL TROF

ACROSS CENTRAL GEORGIA WHICH IS CURRENTLY PRODUCING SNOW SHOWERS

ACROSS CENTRAL GEORGIA. THIS IS ROTATING E/SE AND WILL POSSIBLY

CLIP PORTIONS OF INLAND SE GA NORTH OF WAYCROSS DURING THE MID TO

LATE MORNING HOURS. A BRIEF BUT POSSIBLY INTENSE PERIOD OF SNOW

FLURRIES, SLEET PELLETS AND SPRINKLES MAY OCCUR IN THIS AREA AND

HAVE UPDATED THE GRIDS TO REFLECT THIS.

How do you have an intense period of snow flurries? :lol:

BTW, if I got 1" of snow after being forecasted to get 8-12", I'd be melting down and losing it.  :axe:

I wasn't the 0, but I'm maybe 10 miles from there! It hurts with what the models were showing! The bonus snow of 4 inches on Tuesday , was probably the only reason I didn't snap! It snowed ALL day Tuesday from 5 am til 4 pm non stop of varying intensities and huge flakes most of the time! Only bad part, temp was 36

The two NW most counties are Oconee and Pickens. Then Greenville to the East. That zero is right over Berea. The worst thing Is that the line spreading across these counties with three or less are in the heart of the area north of 85,the very part that was to get anywhere from 6-18 inches depending on who you were listening to. I am in that zone. You can see why we are so crushed.

Now I'm ready for summer time thunderstorms since you mentioned it.

How much snow did you get anyway?

I had a three day total of about 8 inches. Compacted down with sleet yesterday to about 3-4 inches. The 4 inch surprise storm Tuesday , helps ease the pain !? Got about 3 yesterday and today from" the one"

That's the golden rule for winter weather across the SE, particularly it seems in central NC and SC....you want it to start early and hard...because eventually climo will take over and turn you to IP or ZR 99% of the time with a good QPF system.  The big ones always have a powerful warm nose that overperforms the models....

That's what she said.

Well that was fun while it lasted for sure. 3 days in a row with heavy snow. 5" tuesday, 4" yesterday, 0.5-0.75" today....nice 3 day total of ~9.5". i am sated. 

i'm confused though, NWS is saying Fay only got 4.5? Definitely not accurate. I have like 20 photos in various locations in Fay, smallest amount I could find was 3" on the road...all other measurements were 6"+, even have a 14" measurement. I wish all of Tuesday's snow stayed on the ground. Half of it melted. :(

Yeah those really low numbers are shocking and what caught my attention the quickest. I said earlier i would be angry if the forecast was for up to a foot and only got 4. but if the forecast was for 8 to 12 and I got 0, every body better watch out and get the hell away from me for a few days...or weeks lol To say I would be angry is an understatement as big as that bust.I feel bad for anyone that is a weather geek living there  getting  screwed that horribly.

Mine wasn't that bad, but bad enough. Forecast was for 8-12". I never reached 3" on the ground.  I got a quick 2.8" yesterday afternoon. At that point it turned to sleet and sleeted steadily but never really hard for most of the night. The sleet compacted the snow about the same amount as it accumulated so the amount on the ground never increased. today did get some snow from the ULL but there had already been some melting earlier in the morning.  End result, a pretty anemic "historic" storm.

All that said, I still had a blast driving around yesterday at the height of the first round and the sledding this morning was pretty darn good as well.  I had a bunch of neighborhood kids sliding down my extra lot. Had to join them. Didn't break anything. :)

I ended up with 18-19" here about 20mi west of Martinsville (about 45min from Big Frosty).

Last EURO run before the event ended had me at 20.1" of snow.

It snowed heavily from 1:00pm-10:00pm yesterday before changing to sleet after 9" of accumulation. Sleeted all night, mixing with snow after 3:00am or so.

Then all snow arrived again from the ULL and absolutely destroyed us from 9:00am-4:00pm with the heaviest rates/biggest flakes/highest winds of the event.

Ended with 18-20" depending on where you measure, and we have some 4-foot drifts.

Overall, I thought the sleet would be a killer for this storm, but with the intense ULL snows today, it more than made up for it.

Robert nailed it here with his 10-15" with locally higher totals.

DT also verified with his gutsy 16-20" call.

EURO verified with its 13-20" run-to-run totals.

This was definitely the best, most intense winter storm I vividly remember for my area (I'm 25, so I was only 4 in March '93) Can't say that I'm ready for spring just yet, but I'm very happy with this winter. Only two events, but topped the 20" mark either way. :)

I don't think we even saw a flake from that one.  The storm the jaded Greg Fishel and the rest of us snow lovers in the Triangle.

That's bad. I was in NNE Raleigh at the time and we got maybe a quarter inch from the edge. It was so painful watching that edge slowly back over us and struggle, only to fall apart. All the while, the mets kept saying bands would start filling in any time now. In retrospect, they had to be pretty stupid to forecast that. I guess they were trigger happy after the January 2000 debacle.

I went for a jebwalk... big mistake.

Got wet and dirty because somebody thought it would be a good idea bring a rear wheel drive Benz down an unplowed gravel road. It was still snowing and got popped in the thigh with a couple pieces of rock. Last time I help somebody with a rear wheel drive. Don't mind helping... but damn I over exerted myself. 

That's bad. I was in NNE Raleigh at the time and we got maybe a quarter inch from the edge. It was so painful watching that edge slowly back over us and struggle, only to fall apart. All the while, the mets kept saying bands would start filling in any time now. In retrospect, they had to be pretty stupid to forecast that. I guess they were trigger happy after the January 2000 debacle.

I think the models were pretty adamant on a phase in time to explode the precip over central/eastern NC. Of course, it happened too late. I was in Cary and saw the lightest of flurries. I remember WRAL saying just what you said...that the upper level support would generates precip over the area anytime. It would start to fill in and fall apart. Worst storm ever right after the best storm ever.

Archived