joxey
Burns' Big Banter Bonanza

NCsandhills

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Harv311

Did you see the HRRR?  OMG.

Im with you dude. ITs pinging in w-s but that band is going to save my week. Let it snow let it snow :snowing:

Poor Nate Johnson.  He seems like a smart guy and a learned met.  But he gets stuck talking about traffic on WRAL.

Nate is indeed a very smart guy, PhD from State and all. He's going to have to go somewhere else to get much air time, I'm afraid. Those WRAL guys stick around for years and years, so it's hard to see him improving his position in the pecking order there. Unless he is exceedingly patient.

ETA: Mix of very fine IP and ZR in Apex, same as it's been for the last hour or so.

Looks like my part of the county is right at the freezing mark. At least that will limit ice accrual.

I'm trying to figure out what's going to happen with temps overnight. Will that line stall out over the Triangle? The path of the 925mb low would imply that it shouldn't get too much further west. Then again, with ZR, I can't imagine we'll stay in the 20s for long even here.

I'm trying to figure out what's going to happen with temps overnight. Will that line stall out over the Triangle? The path of the 925mb low would imply that it shouldn't get too much further west. Then again, with ZR, I can't imagine we'll stay in the 20s for long even here.

I would imagine they would slowly rise in most locales that are getting ZR. Without reinforcement, they should be able to approach the freezing mark. If we get under the deform band tomorrow with a period of heavy snow, they should fall back to or below freezing, if they are above.

Well, boys and girls, Atlanta is done with this one. Historic? Not even close. Busted!

Yeah, moisture is pretty sparse back torwards ATL and west! Robert posted something about ull that just crushed Birmingham with 6 inch an hour rates, was going to go through ATL , Chattanooga , Athens, GSP , and up into NC. Said it would be heavy snow with that!? I think it goes N of that and misses me , per track on current radar!?

Well, boys and girls, Atlanta is done with this one. Historic? Not even close. Busted!

Agreed.  I'm sure there are a lot of media wishing they had not so frequently used the words "historic", "catastrophic", etc.

I am very glad we didn't have all that much ice in Georgia, to be sure.  But the forecast def busted.

Yikes, the HRRR has central Wake County at 31F at it's highest, the western part of Wake Co. is at 30F, Durham's Max is 29F.  The HRRR did have us over freezing but has slowly dropped the temps each run for over night.  This frzn could get ugly, hopefully we go to rain for a little bit because the HRRR has another 0.8-1" of QPF over us through 6am tomorrow.   

Yikes, the HRRR has central Wake County at 31F at it's highest, the western part of Wake Co. is at 30F, Durham's Max is 29F.  The HRRR did have us over freezing but has slowly dropped the temps each run for over night.  This frzn could get ugly, hopefully we go to rain for a little bit because the HRRR has another 0.8-1" of QPF over us through 6am tomorrow.   

RAH just put out a quick discussion. They think the temps will stabilize about where they are now for the remainder of the night -- winds are going from NE to N.

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...

-- Changed Discussion --

AS OF 1005 PM WEDNESDAY... VERY DANGEROUS WINTER STORM TO CONTINUE...AND A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR ALL OF CENTRAL NC THROUGH 6 PM THU. THE P-TYPE TRANSITION ZONE...DRIVEN BY A 50 KT SOUTHEASTERLY LLJ AND ASSOCIATED PRONOUNCED WARM NOSE ALOFT PER MHX AND CHS RAOB DATA...HAS MARCHED STEADILY INTO THE NORTHERN PIEDMONT THIS EVENING. WHILE PRECIPITATION RATES HAVE DIMINISHED SINCE THE INITIAL SURGE OF INTENSE WAA/ISENTROPIC UPGLIDE AND ASSOCIATED BURST OF EARLIER HEAVY SNOW...INTENSE FRONTOGENESIS AND DYNAMIC FORCING FOR ASCENT AHEAD OF A SOUTHERN STREAM WAVE OVER AL/MS WILL RESULT IN RENEWED PRECIPITATION INTENSITY DOWNSTREAM ACROSS THE CAROLINAS TONIGHT. WHILE TEMPERATURES HAVE WARMED TO AROUND FREEZING INTO THE I-95 CORRIDOR...TEMPS WILL BE HARD PRESSED TO RISE MUCH MORE GIVEN THE PROPENSITY OF THE SURFACE WINDS TO BACK AROUND TO A MORE NORTHERLY COMPONENT AS THE CONSOLIDATING SURFACE LOW LIFTS UP THE COAST OF THE CAROLINAS BETWEEN 06-12Z. GIVEN THE LATEST OBSERVATIONAL TRENDS OF A CHANGEOVER TO OR MIXING WITH...FREEZING RAIN AS FAR NORTHWEST AS THE TRIAD...IT APPEARS THE PROBABILITY OF SLEET PREDOMINATING AND LIMITING ICE ACCRUAL HAS DIMINISHED. AS SUCH...WE EXPECT PERHAPS ANOTHER INCH OR TWO OF FROZEN OVER THE FAR NORTHERN AND NW PIEDMONT...WITH A HIGHER IMPACT CONCERN OF ICE ACCRUAL OF TWO TO FOUR TENTHS OF AN INCH...WITH NEAR ONE HALF INCH POSSIBLE IN A NARROW AXIS WITHIN 15 MILES EITHER SIDE OF AN ALBEMARLE TO CHAPEL HILL LINE. POWER OUTAGES WILL CONSEQUENTLY BECOME AN INCREASING CONCERN THROUGH EARLY THU...EXACERBATED BY NE TO N SURFACE WINDS THAT WILL AT TIMES GUST BETWEEN 20 AND 30 MPH. IN FACT...THERE WAS A RECENT REPORT OF A 36 MPH WIND AT WINSTON SALEM LAST HOUR. WIND CHILLS WILL DIP INTO THE TEENS...TO PERHAPS HIGH SINGLE DIGITS DURING TIMES OF TEH STRONGER WINDS. TRAVEL...NOT SURPRISINGLY IS VERY STRONGLY DISCOURAGED.

-- End Changed Discussion --

RAH just put out a quick discussion. They think the temps will stabilize about where they are now for the remainder of the night -- winds are going from NE to N.

What a disaster this could be.  Would be nice if the event ended right now, have power can go sledding tomorrow.

I would imagine they would slowly rise in most locales that are getting ZR. Without reinforcement, they should be able to approach the freezing mark. If we get under the deform band tomorrow with a period of heavy snow, they should fall back to or below freezing, if they are above.

How much snow did you get CR and did it come down hard?

Archived