SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Big One - Forecast & Discussion

Wow

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its rare to post a forecast but this one i just cant pass up: for those upstream dont fret.  my forecast has snow heavy at times, accumulation 8-12 today. that is unreal

edited to add:

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php

if those heavy echos north and west of atl can hold together and not get eaten up by the wedge some pretty heavy snow could be in n ga and the upstate later this morning.

looks like its shifting to the north, lets hope the cad erosion of the moisture stops soon haha

GSP has done a great job updating the snowfall map. Here is the new one. Minor adjustment is the time stamp of 6:45am

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...
AS OF 645 AM...FCST IS ON TRACK...EXCEPT FOR A LITTLE SLOWER ONSET
OF SNOW THAN EXPECTED ACRS THE UPSTATE. NO CHANGES WERE MADE ON THIS
UPDATE EXCEPT FOR NEW AVIATION GRIDS FOR THE 12Z TAFS.

STSStormTotalSnow.png

CAE's discussion.......ouch  :(

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...
COLD AIR DAMMING CONTINUES TO STRENGTHEN ACROSS THE REGION.
STRONG SURFACE RIDGE EXTENDING FROM THE MID ATLANTIC STATES
SOUTHWEST ACROSS THE CAROLINAS.

LOW PRESSURE DEVELOPING OVER THE NORTH CENTRAL GULF OF MEXICO THIS
MORNING WILL TRACK NORTHEAST ACROSS FLORIDA TODAY AND THEN UP
ALONG THE CAROLINA COAST AND DEEPENING OVERNIGHT INTO THURSDAY. WV
LOOP SHOWS WELL DEFINED S/W MOVING TOWARD THE LOWER MS RIVER
VALLEY THIS MORNING AND NRN STREAM S/W TRYING TO PHASE WITH SRN
STREAM ENERGY.

88D REGIONAL COMPOSITE SHOWS A LARGE AREA OF PRECIPITATION
STRETCHING FROM MS/AL ACROSS GA AND INTO CENTRAL/SOUTHERN SC THIS
MORNING. ISENTROPIC LIFT WAS INCREASING THIS MORNING AND EXPECT
PRECIPITATION TO INCREASE IN COVERAGE OVER THE NEXT FEW HOURS
COVERING THE REMAINDER OF THE CWA. REPORTS INDICATE MAINLY
FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET ALONG THE I-20 CORRIDOR WITH A MIXTURE OF
SNOW/SLEET NORTH OF THIS LINE. TEMPERATURES THIS MORNING RANGE
FROM THE UPPER 20S AROUND LANCASTER AND CHESTERFIELD COUNTIES TO
THE LOWER 30S ACROSS THE CSRA. STILL EXPECT SNOW ACROSS THE NORTH
MIDLANDS...1 TO 2 INCHES SNOW ACCUMULATION AROUND DAYBREAK. ICING
HAS ALREADY BEGAN TO BECOME SIGNIFICANT ACROSS THE CENTRAL AND
SOUTH MIDLANDS/CSRA AND CONDITIONS WILL ONLY DETERIORATE DURING THE
DAY AND NIGHT.

THROUGH THE DAY...THE SOUTHERN AND NORTHERN STREAM UPPER IMPULSES
WILL PHASE TOGETHER AND MOVE THROUGH OUR REGION. MODELS TRY TO
INDICATE THAT SOME OF THE WARMER AIR MOVING OFF THE ATLANTIC ATOP
THE VERY COLD AIR AT THE SURFACE WILL TRY TO WARM THE SURFACE
LAYER TO JUST ABOVE FREEZING ACROSS THE EASTERN COUNTIES LATER
TODAY. HOWEVER...LI FIELDS INDICATES THAT STRONG COLD AIR DAMMING
WILL REMAIN ENTRENCHED ACROSS THE CWA THROUGH THE EVENT. ANY
UNCERTAINTIES WITH RESPECT TO SPECIFICS APPEARS TO HAVE LITTLE
CHANGE ON THE IMPACT THE SYSTEM WILL HAVE ON THE REGION. IT
APPEARS THAT TOTAL PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS APPROACHING 2 INCHES IN
SOME LOCATIONS WILL MAKE CONDITIONS VERY DANGEROUS. MUCH OF THIS
PRECIPITATION...EXCEPT FOR SOME PERIODS OF SLEET EARLY IN THE
EVENT...WILL FALL AS FREEZING RAIN. THIS WILL PRODUCE A MAJOR ICE
STORM...WITH HIGH IMPACTS...FOR A GOOD PORTION OF THE FORECAST
AREA.

lol the euro is insane. i made it to hickory for this one. if we really get 16 inches of snow that will be biggest snow of my life. the only reason i was dumb enough to make the drive home last night was thinking this could be something extremely rare. hopefully it is. i just i hope i can get back to raleigh this weekend.

Oh man, good to have you back for this one.  Just like old times now :D

Update on 700mb 10k Foot Temperatures

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/sfctest/new/viewsector.php?sector=17#

Have been steadily warming overnight.

Hopefully will not cause an issue, but the -6c line has moved northward from down in South Carolina to up into NW North Carolina over night.

It's all about the temperature profiles today.   Soundings will rule.

It's a lot more complicated than just the 700mb temperature profile, but a general quick glance indication is that -6 is preferred at that level.

MbjeNKi.png

AFD out of Blackburg  :lol:

The developing winter storm is coming together in classic form. Maps...charts...rules of thumb...Indian lore all point to the same conclusion. The ring around the moon...the rustling Oak leaves...your grandmas aching knee in addition to the computer models which the meteorologists and weather fanatics stare at endlessly...all scream look-out. If you choose to ignore the sensible clues you are just not listening. Local folks will tell you this is where our true winter storms come from...Wisdom at its best.

Notice where the pressure falls are.

I think that is where you will see the low pressure consolidate and move. I think it will be a little east of the ECMWF track.

I agree. The euro track is funny. But just like I was thinking yesterday it will stay offshore. The path of least resistance would be along the trough axis just off shore. You think with the baroclonic zone offshore near the highest sst temps will allow this to go boom .... stronger than the models been indicating?

Notice where the pressure falls are.

I think that is where you will see the low pressure consolidate and move. I think it will be a little east of the ECMWF track.

I don't see it in the SPC analysis. I think any suggestion that the Euro track is too far to the East is premature.

post-9361-0-97499400-1392211894_thumb.jp

I agree. The euro track is funny. But just like I was thinking yesterday it will stay offshore. The path of least resistance would be along the trough axis just off shore. You think with the baroclonic zone offshore near the highest sst temps will allow this to go boom .... stronger than the models been indicating?

Certainly possible. I have been favoring a slightly off shore track the whole time offshore of SC/GA and then across the Outer Banks.

The coastal plain track of the Euro just seemed to far west to me with an established wedge.

Certainly possible. I have been favoring a slightly off shore track the whole time offshore of SC/GA and then across the Outer Banks.

The coastal plain track of the Euro just seemed to far west to me with an established wedge.

FWIW, this am JB said it goes over the Pamlico Sound.

I don't see it in the SPC analysis. I think any suggestion that the Euro track is too far to the East is premature.

Well this is a2 hour change map vs the 3 hour change map on unisys and you can see the -1 there east of SC, which matches up with Unisys map which has a finer contour interval.

I dont think it is premature if you have always thought the Euro track was too far west like I have.

Doesnt mean I will be right of course, but we shall sees

Well this is a2 hour change map vs the 3 hour change map on unisys and you can see the -1 there east of SC, which matches up with Unisys map which has a finer contour interval.

I dont think it is premature if you have always thought the Euro track was too far west like I have.

Does that mean less snow and sleet for Atlanta and rest of GA/SC... looks like precip is ending in AL earlier than progged? Or are we waiting for dynamics and frontogenic forcing to reblossom radar later today>

FWIW, in the Jan 2000 storm, Greg Fishel was on the air talking about this exact same thing...about pressure falls, in the context of where the storm would go. He was correct during that event. I don't know if this situation is comparable to that one exactly, but the physics should still be the same, I would think.

Archived