joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 12-13 Storm: Title TBD

stormtracker

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bob, what are your thoughts right now on GFS v. Euro solutions? Pretty big spread.

Until the gfs stops bouncing you have to heavily weight the euro and its ensembles. They have been a rock for what seems like forever.

Big and rapidly deepening coastals will always have a mind of their own during the process so going verbatim on any solution isnt the way to go.

I think we should rely on past history for sensible outcomes. Snow - mix - snow. Gfs isn't as amped and strong as the euro so it's east. If the gfs keeps coming in stronger then the track will come closer.

Until the gfs stops bouncing you have to heavily weight the euro and it's ensembles. They have been a rock for what seems like forever.

Big and rapidly deepening coastals will always have a mind of their own during the process so going verbatim on any solution isnt the way to go.

I think we should rely on past history for sensible outcomes. Snow - mix - snow. Gfs isn't as amped and strong as the euro so it's east. If the gfs keeps coming in stronger then the track will come closer.

Isn't there a point where the ensembles become less useful, this close to zero hour? This one starts on wednesday.

Isn't there a point where the ensembles become less useful, this close to zero hour? This one starts on wednesday.

Euro ensembles run at a higher resolution and the important part of the track was 84 hours on the 0z run. 12z will still be useful but then ops are prob the only thing to worry about from tonight on.

This is mostly just weenie banter so you are forewarned, but I like where we're at. If the EURO is a tiny bit too amped and the GFS is a little bit too flat and we get a blend of the two the needle will be threaded and we'll get a major snowstorm. If the EURO is right we still get a good front-end thump and some mixing and maybe even some backend. If the GFS is right we get a moderate snowstorm with no mixing. Pretty great spot to be in overall.

I think you'd end up with a blend of the grid-point NAM and the spectral GFS. Probably heavily weighted towards the NAM. A more practical blend would probably be the ultra high resolution (spectral) ECMWF and the NAM. I'm assuming that's what we'd see if we could see the .5° ECE blend. At least that's where my money is...

I think you'd end up with a blend of the grid-point NAM and the spectral GFS. Probably heavily weighted towards the NAM. A more practical blend would probably be the ultra high resolution (spectral) ECMWF and the NAM. I'm assuming that's what we'd see if we could see the .5° ECE blend. At least that's where my money is...

I need this translated into weenie language that I can understand :D

06z NAM is epic for my area. 

If I could draw it out, that's how it would look. That closed ULL causes some havic with another 3-5 on the backside. 

That 2 inch area is right near ROA to LYH to DAN. 

Epic. 

PURP.

Hoping this doesn't fall prey to the curse of the bulseye/north trend. It probably will lol

Can't believe this is acceptable to people on charge of this stuff that the model is so poor

Yeah I mean it is a frustrating model, but we all pretty much know it has a southeast bias in situations like this one so, it was bound to cave eventually.

1.  We do not even have verification, so thanks for chiming in already on model performance for a future event.

2.  I don't think either of you are experts on data assimilation or numerical weather prediction.

3.  The ECMWF is still the best in the world (by quite a bit I might add), but the UKMO/GGEM/GFS are all good models and not *that* far behind.

4.  Issues regarding resources at NCEP have been discussed time and time again.  Can they do things better?  Of course.  Is it all trash?  Don't be ridiculous.

5.  The GFS is being upgraded again this year to include a resolution increase to ~13 km, modified physical parameterizations, increased resolution in the ensemble part of the DA, and use of better resolution (spacial and temporal) SST initialization.

/rant

1.  We do not even have verification, so thanks for chiming in already on model performance for a future event.

2.  I don't think either of you are experts on data assimilation or numerical weather prediction.

3.  The ECMWF is still the best in the world (by quite a bit I might add), but the UKMO/GGEM/GFS are all good models and not *that* far behind.

4.  Issues regarding resources at NCEP have been discussed time and time again.  Can they do things better?  Of course.  Is it all trash?  Don't be ridiculous.

5.  The GFS is being upgraded again this year to include a resolution increase to ~13 km, modified physical parameterizations, increased resolution in the ensemble part of the DA, and use of better resolution (spacial and temporal) SST initialization.

/rant

Good post.  You come to realize quickly around here that model performance is judged by how much snow it shows.

/rant

Thanks DTK, i cannot believe you think Ji is not an expert on data assimilation. His weather page has more fans than NOAA  :axe: .

/rant

#5 is interesting. Thanks for the info.

Archived