joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential storm February 12-13 2014

famartin

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They bumped me from 6-8 to 8-10 because they know 2 inches would fall as sleet. Crap, this a storm discussion thread. That squall line in Florida is one of the most impressive I've ever seen in a "winter storm."

Yes!  I posted else were that a line of thunderstorms is going to hit Cuba.  Not saying this 93 but a line hit Cuba back than.

I'm really confident that this storm is going to dump a lot of snow on us. My one worry is more in the rgem camp, in that we possibly mix for a larger part of the storm. The gfs being dry means almost nothing to me. It has been a joke with this storm. All the models in general have been too dry with storms this year. Just my two cents.

it's a warm layer causing a lot of sleet and maybe zr not s.kipping.  it seems odd, but i guess it is in play

That's one heck of a warm layer, since it shows no location in the state of Pennsylvania getting more than 10 inches of snow, while DC gets more than a foot and most of southeast NY state does also.  Anyway, it's the 18z RGEM.  We all know that yesterday it showed a 980 MB low just east of Baltimore at hr 54.

That's one heck of a warm layer, since it shows no location in the state of Pennsylvania getting more than 10 inches of snow, while DC gets more than a foot and most of southeast NY state does also.  Anyway, it's the 18z RGEM.  We all know that yesterday it showed a 980 MB low just east of Baltimore at hr 54.

i like using the RGEM this close to the storm, so i dont discount it....but it does seem a little extreme.

When do the next euro models run??

They run 12Z and 0Z.  That's 7AM and 7PM.  Now, that's not when they actually start, that's when the data ingest happens, more or less (there is some data ingested over time but the general idea is that its around 12Z and 0Z).  I imagine it starts to actually "run" a few hours later, but we don't start getting output until nearly 6 hours later.  So, the next Euro data will start coming in around 1AM Eastern time.

Does anybody have any reports from Florida?  I am not saying the above is a repeat of March 93, but it is pretty darn intense for winter.  I am wondering if they had a "storm surge" ahead of this like they did in '93. 

:stun:

546 PM EST WED FEB 12 2014

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 600 PM EST FOR

SOUTHWESTERN HARDEE AND NORTHWESTERN DESOTO COUNTIES...

AT 546 PM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE METEOROLOGISTS CONTINUED TO

DETECT A TORNADO.  THIS TORNADO WAS LOCATED 10 MILES WEST OF

LIMESTONE...OR 15 MILES NORTHWEST OF ARCADIA...MOVING EAST AT 35 MPH.

THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR...

LIMESTONE BY 555 PM EST...

Also, just noticed a report of 1" hail.....and another report of 2 inches of rain in 15 minutes from the same line.

I am still finding it hard to believe that, after the kind of winter the immediate PHL area has had so far this season, a storm like this will hugely underperform in the exact same area relative to the rest of the I-95 corridor (both north and south).  I realize that this outcome is looking more and more likely by the minute, and I totally understand the meteorology behind it... I am just having a hard time swallowing it.  I suspect that I am going to have to see those first reports of pings being heard before I fully accept it. 

I am still finding it hard to believe that, after the kind of winter the immediate PHL area has had so far this season, a storm like this will hugely underperform in the exact same area relative to the rest of the I-95 corridor (both north and south).  I realize that this outcome is looking more and more likely by the minute, and I totally understand the meteorology behind it... I am just having a hard time swallowing it.  I suspect that I am going to have to see those first reports of pings being heard before I fully accept it. 

6-9" is underperforming?  Let the NW suburbs have their day ;)

6-9" is underperforming?  Let the NW suburbs have their day ;)

I just meant relative to DC and NYC.  ...but, yes, it is most definitely a measure of the kind of (amazing) winter it has been at PHL that anybody... in any context... can use the word "underperform" while describing a likely 6"+ snow event.  :thumbsup: 

I just meant relative to DC and NYC.  ...but, yes, it is most definitely a measure of the kind of (amazing) winter it has been at PHL that anybody... in any context... can use the word "underperform" while describing a likely 6"+ snow event.  :thumbsup: 

Patterns repeat...until they don't. It's kind of like saying "It's been red the last ten spins, I can't believe the next one isn't going to come up black." Actually, I think it is the opposite of saying that. But you get the point, things are shifting. The PAC Jet is alive, we aren't dealing with the Arctic airmasses that have dominated for six weeks. It's a whole new ball game with diffluence in Canada, a surface low in the Lakes, and a tighter coastal track. Believe it!

As if it was exactly the same.  However, keep in mind sleet:water ratios are MUCH lower than snow:water ratios.  Typically on the order of 2:1 to 3:1.

As if it was exactly the same.  However, keep in mind sleet:water ratios are MUCH lower than snow:water ratios.  Typically on the order of 2:1 to 3:1.

How about hail if for some strange reason we picked up 1/2" sometime during winter...still same as snow?

Archived