Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential storm February 12-13 2014

famartin

HI Ray,

Quick question what is the appropriate conversion for sleet as snow/sleet accumulation based on forecast qpf? Trying to figure based on the Wxsim changing to or mixing with IP for a while during the storm....how do you calculate that?

Thx

Paul

If it wasn't for the warm interlude, it would be.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading reports out of the MA forum that the latest NAM run is colder for them....then I'm reading reports out of the NYC forum that its warmer for them.  Not sure how it plays out for PHL but assuming both forums are right how does that happen?  Meaning how can the model get colder for MA at the mid-levels but warmer further north?  What type of 850 track is that? 

Reading reports out of the MA forum that the latest NAM run is colder for them....then I'm reading reports out of the NYC forum that its warmer for them. Not sure how it plays out for PHL but assuming both forums are right how does that happen? Meaning how can the model get colder for MA at the mid-levels but warmer further north? What type of 850 track is that?

Yeah I saw that, HM mentions the possibility CSI for DC. My guess more rain for us....

Edit HM didn't say thunder snow....

Reading reports out of the MA forum that the latest NAM run is colder for them....then I'm reading reports out of the NYC forum that its warmer for them.  Not sure how it plays out for PHL but assuming both forums are right how does that happen?  Meaning how can the model get colder for MA at the mid-levels but warmer further north?  What type of 850 track is that? 

Could be because DC is further west. I remeber durning one of the ice storms in '94, we were getting clocked down here with temps in the mid 20's while Boston was a driving rainstorm with temps in the 50's.

Just saw the clown maps for the NAM though and our entire area is under the 12-16" crayon color so who knows.

HI Ray,

Quick question what is the appropriate conversion for sleet as snow/sleet accumulation based on forecast qpf? Trying to figure based on the Wxsim changing to or mixing with IP for a while during the storm....how do you calculate that?

Thx

Paul

I'm guessing you mean "ratio".  Usually the sleet:water ratio is pretty low.  3:1 maybe.  I think I heard it can even be 2:1.

Just saw a snow accumulation map in the NYC forum for the 18z RGEM. Looks like it has the storm almost completely skipping our region after hitting the DC area hard and then hitting far northern NJ up into New England nicely.

Saw that. It has a sneaky warm layer and gives us a decent amount of sleet. I don't really buy that we get as much sleet as it thinks, but some other models have been hinting at it too.

Just saw a snow accumulation map in the NYC forum for the 18z RGEM.  Looks like it has the storm almost completely skipping our region after hitting the DC area hard and then hitting far northern NJ up into New England nicely.

it's a warm layer causing a lot of sleet and maybe zr not s.kipping.  it seems odd, but i guess it is in play

Archived