joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential storm February 12-13 2014

famartin

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I think how quickly we flip to sleet/rain and how much, if anything, we get on the backside will determine if this storm is memorable in the right way for PHL.  NAM spits out like 1.0-1.2" of precip by 10am tomorrow......IF we could somehow manage to keep that all snow then we'd be golden no matter what happens the rest of the day.  But my guess is we flip somewhere around 8am.

The back end is the wild card, there MAY be some mesoscale bands in that CCB that get a huge addition to their snowfall totals if that 500mb low is stronger and more west

It's good to see all the models coming to a consensus - with the exception of the GFS, of course, which is still lost about the front end dump scenario.

The GFS actually got wetter at 6z for the front end dump, I think its catching up quite well personally. Obviously the NAM will always be wetter in these situations with big time VVs it likes to go crazy

Clown map for 12Z NAM

When a NAM clown map doesn't show double digit snowfall within a 100 miles of PHL, it is definitely time to temper expectations. Just the same, given how often PHL has found a way to bullseye just about every time it snows this winter it is hard to accept that this one just might be a normal, run-of-the-mill, Philadelphia snowstorm with a few inch thump up front, some slop and rain in the middle, and a few flakes at the end.     

Looks like 30mm at philly here from the rgem.

I have an embarassing tendency to look stupid when converting to English Standard units, but that is only a bit more than one inch, right?

EDIT:  It seems I got the conversion right, but the 30 mm was liquid equivalent so, assuming 10:1, that would be more like a 12" accumulation.  Like I said, I have a tendency to look stupid when I do this.  lol.   

Archived