• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Potential storm February 12-13 2014

famartin

Ah ok. I'm actually in Collegeville PA (Central Montomery County) right now. So I'm less worried about mixing... Nevertheless, I'm optimistic about this one. Looks to me like a qpf bomb with limited mixing issues for NW of I-95. I think that 20 miles on either side of I-95 is going to be the battleground for serious mixing issues. I'm buying into the amped solution. I don't think this comes much more west, but I think that the CMC and EURO have had an excellent handle on this system and have been very consistent. The NAM and GFS have been all over the place, I especially don't get all the love for the NAM on this system. I think those wishing for a coastal crusher for this storm are grasping for straws... We shall see.

I'm in Spring Mount, and on those models we both go to non-snow for a while IF the 12z GGEM and Euro are correct.  Both are warmer and west of where they were at 0z (in which we were pretty much all snow).

Personally, I'm not sure whether the wamer and west representations on their 12z runs are correct.  I'm hoping that the reality is somewhere between the 12z GGEM/Euro and the 12z NAM.  It'll be interesting to see what tonight's 0z runs look like.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah ok. I'm actually in Collegeville PA (Central Montomery County) right now. So I'm less worried about mixing... Nevertheless, I'm optimistic about this one. Looks to me like a qpf bomb with limited mixing issues for NW of I-95. I think that 20 miles on either side of I-95 is going to be the battleground for serious mixing issues. I'm buying into the amped solution. I don't think this comes much more west, but I think that the CMC and EURO have had an excellent handle on this system and have been very consistent. The NAM and GFS have been all over the place, I especially don't get all the love for the NAM on this system. I think those wishing for a coastal crusher for this storm are grasping for straws... We shall see.

I lived in Royersford for a bit....about 8-10 miles W up Rt 422 from you. It just about always changed over when Philly reports rain. May take an hour or two but eventually...ping ping then rain.

I'm in Spring Mount, and on those models we both go to non-snow for a while IF the 12z GGEM and Euro are correct.  Both are warmer and west of where they were at 0z (in which we were pretty much all snow).

Personally, I'm not sure whether the wamer and west representations on their 12z runs are correct.  I'm hoping that the reality is somewhere between the 12z GGEM/Euro and the 12z NAM.  It'll be interesting to see what tonight's 0z runs look like.

Right, it's definitely less ideal than 0z. And yeah if you do a blend, then we are golden. I know that the NWS is going with a track 30 miles east of the low placement on the EURO/GGEM, I know some people argue for that correction due to the SSTs.

I lived in Royersford for a bit....about 8-10 miles W up Rt 422 from you. It just about always changed over when Philly reports rain. May take an hour or two but eventually...ping ping then rain.

True. But given the potential heavy rates with this storm, it might make a difference, and there's a chance the rain/snow line doesn't make it to us. If the west trend continues than even our area is in trouble. 

Those of us who live within 20 miles of I-95 (and those further southeast of course) are very aware of (and sensitive to) what can happen when a coastal storm is too close to the coast (as in right on the coast), to our south, between say Virginia Beach and Ocean City, MD. It usually means rain here.

If the latest Euro verifies, track wise, our best hope near Philly is for good accumulation on the front end and hopefully a bonus on the back end. This is why there is a lower excitement level for some when the models show the storm track trending westward from what was ideal for this area toward what is great for Harrisburg to Scranton. 

The 0z Euro was a pretty good model run for many in this forum. Now some of us are looking at possibly less snow and more rain. Of course there will be IMBY analysis, especially for those who enjoy snow. It's the way of things.

The good part is that we should all get some snow, and things (model runs and weather) can change obviously.

And it is reassuring when Ray is sticking to 6 to 12" for Trenton :o.

Having said all that, I've been made to feel silly in the past trying to predict the weather, so mostly I'm taking a wait and see attitude.

The NWS snow forecast map appears to show Western Chester County and portions of Northern Montgomery County in a 10" to 14" zone. I see in the forecast discussion they are discounting ZR as a precip type and going with IP (good news in this area where my trees are still encrusted in ice)

The NWS snow forecast map appears to show Western Chester County and portions of Northern Montgomery County in a 10" to 14" zone. I see in the forecast discussion they are discounting ZR as a precip type and going with IP (good news in this area where my trees are still encrusted in ice)

In the discussion it said they were pretty much taking out the freezing rain, but that heavy wet snow with winds up to 20-30 mph Thursday morning could be a problem. I agree about the freezing rain, even if the ZR last week did do a lot of trimming.

From several other forums, it shows a 988 MB low in the Chesapeake Bay at 48 hrs. Well west of the 12z GGEM.

Thanks. We surely don't want it there, yikes. Still hoping for some heavy front end snow whatever the track. What's causing all the westward movement in the models? I know things have slowed down, what would need to happen to keep the low off the coast a bit?

This is going to be bad for us.   Still too much ice and snow on the tree limbs.   This wet snow plastered to the limbs along with wind

is going to do more damage.

Agreed Iceman - I am having my generator serviced tomorrow (plus having him rewire so I get heat now on the 1st floor instead of the 2nd....little oversight on my part when building house). They mentioned they are getting swamped with calls with people wanting to be sure their generator is in shape.

Paul

This is going to be bad for us.   Still too much ice and snow on the tree limbs.   This wet snow plastered to the limbs along with wind

is going to do more damage.

Plan of the Day

NOUS42 KNHC 101620

REPRPD

WEATHER RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHTS

CARCAH, NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER, MIAMI, FL.

1120 AM EST MON 10 FEBRUARY 2014

SUBJECT: WINTER STORM PLAN OF THE DAY (WSPOD)

VALID 11/1100Z TO 12/1100Z FEBRUARY 2014

WSPOD NUMBER.....13-073

I. ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS

1. FLIGHT 0NE -- TEAL 71--

A. A66/ DROP 9(28.2N 93.8W)/ 12/0000Z

B. AFXXX 05WSA TRACK66

C. 11/2000Z

D. 10 DROPS ON TRACK AS PUBLISHED

E. AS HIGH AS POSSIBLE/ 12/0200Z

2. OUTLOOK FOR SUCCEEDING DAY:

A. A62/ DROP 7(34.0N 72.3W)/ 13/0000Z

$$