• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Snow showers Sat (2/8), light snow Sun (2/9)

Ian

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if the metro areas manage to pull out a 1.5" snow in any one of the three waves between Saturday and Monday morning, the mood would shift to be much more optimistic. People on this board are just much happier when there's snow covering the grass and sidewalks.... and optimistic meaning an educated guess that it wouldn't make sense to cancel winter on 2/6 in a winter that's been "not terrible" so far. 

I think if the metro areas manage to pull out a 1.5" snow in any one of the three waves between Saturday and Monday morning, the mood would shift to be much more optimistic. People on this board are just much happier when there's snow covering the grass and sidewalks.... and optimistic meaning an educated guess that it wouldn't make sense to cancel winter on 2/6 in a winter that's been "not terrible" so far. 

sat looks about as good as it could on both the euro and gfs... bullseye!

post-1615-0-68385800-1391747082_thumb.pn

but yeah.. i dunno. something is wrong here with the mood. maybe because places n/w are doing so much better compared to avg.. we're still well in the game on winter even at lowly dca.

I still have to stick wirh 1-2" because that was my first and final call. I don't want to get all dt and stuff up in here

The vort pass is decent for the first sys.. at least whatever is there. I don't like the low being halfway to bermuda at the time but oh well. Might just evaporate. 

Might actually be worth splitting the threads at this pt.. if someone wants to start one for the second wave.  Of course they could both bust then we have two worthless threads instead of one.

Imo- the most interesting part of this period is that all guidance gives us .2-.3 for the most part but every model does it a different way. If you take the highest total period out of each model we get 4". That's what I'm huggin till further notice.

Yeah, that's been interesting to me too... and we're not all that far out in lead time at this point. The NAM now makes the Sunday morning wave the most important one while the GFS has switched to the Saturday one. The GFS now better matches the 12Z Euro, with the Saturday and Sunday overnight ones being the bigger deal, so we'll see what the 0Z Euro does. The RGEM's 18Z run and 0Z run are pretty different in handling the Saturday one...

The vort pass is decent for the first sys.. at least whatever is there. I don't like the low being halfway to bermuda at the time but oh well. Might just evaporate. 

Might actually be worth splitting the threads at this pt.. if someone wants to start one for the second wave.  Of course they could both bust then we have two worthless threads instead of one.

Well, three waves in 48 hours at this point-- and yes 3 threads would be silly. 

Well, three waves in 48 hours at this point-- and yes 3 threads would be silly.

Risk/reward. If 2 of 3 fail in one thread it's a fail. Doing 3 gives much better odds to having one be a win. And if all 3 win we are only one vort shy of batting the cycle. We are faced with many difficult decisions on amwx. I'm rattled

but yeah.. i dunno. something is wrong here with the mood. maybe because places n/w are doing so much better compared to avg.. we're still well in the game on winter even at lowly dca.

I'm about 4" away from median snow for the past 30 years, as is DCA. Mine is of course a smaller percentage than DCA, but I've definitely not hit seasonal climo total yet. Still, this winter has not sucked in terms of sensible weather IMO:

Snow to sleet to prolonged ZR to start the season, then an under-performing but still accumulating snow (including an inch even at DCA), then a light freezing rain event even in the cities during Sunday morning, then an over-performing overnight snowfall to welcome the New Year, then another freezing rain event that verified on the tail end of the first 'polar vortex intrusion' which caused walkers to fall on their butts, then the biggie of the season so far with 4-8" across the metro areas, then the dusting to 1" light snow that the subforum "willed north" again, then the ice storm/freezing rain event for the area. 

Now we're looking at perhaps more accumulating snow this weekend and the possibility of more next week. This is not going to be an amazingly snowy winter for the metro areas, but it's going to remembered as pretty wintry....

I'm about 4" away from median snow for the past 30 years, as is DCA. Mine is of course a smaller percentage than DCA, but I've definitely not hit seasonal climo total yet. Still, this winter has not sucked in terms of sensible weather IMO:

Snow to sleet to prolonged ZR to start the season, then an under-performing but still accumulating snow (including an inch even at DCA), then a light freezing rain event even in the cities during Sunday morning, then an over-performing overnight snowfall to welcome the New Year, then another freezing rain event that verified on the tail end of the first 'polar vortex intrusion' which caused walkers to fall on their butts, then the biggie of the season so far with 4-8" across the metro areas, then the dusting to 1" light snow that the subforum "willed north" again, then the ice storm/freezing rain event for the area. 

Now we're looking at perhaps more accumulating snow this weekend and the possibility of more next week. This is not going to be an amazingly snowy winter for the metro areas, but it's going to remembered as pretty wintry....

+100000

I am interested (though not hopeful) to see how it all evolves

Yea, it's whacky with this kind of spacing. Would be nice to get the first one with an inch or 2. Everything after gets even more muddy. I like the idea of a wave on the boundary for obvious reasons. Euro is on its own but 3 straight runs of better solutions will raise an eyebrow

Yea, it's whacky with this kind of spacing. Would be nice to get the first one with an inch or 2. Everything after gets even more muddy. I like the idea of a wave on the boundary for obvious reasons. Euro is on its own but 3 straight runs of better solutions will raise an eyebrow

I'm looking forward to my 36 degrees and 0.01"/hr rates....

Archived