Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
kvskelton

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I fell asleep but wake up to find the Canadian and Euro strongly on board. Here is the clown map for the CMC/GEM:

nagyqu7a.jpg

After the 0z suite we have the CMC/Euro/UKMET showing the same general solution with the GFS an outlier on the low side and the NAM as an outlier on the high side. I like where we are at but there is still time for changes.

John, the Forecast Discussion for Memphis and Nashville aren't buying this snow at all. They say models are in agreement it will be at the TN border and I don't see how that's possible. MRX comes the closest to buying it, but that was written in the early afternoon. Nashville and Memphis seem to be going with the GFS, but saying models agree. That makes no sense to me.

I've not read them, but I can't imagine they are from this morning and are saying that. Was that yesterday's AFD?

John, the Forecast Discussion for Memphis and Nashville aren't buying this snow at all. They say models are in agreement it will be at the TN border and I don't see how that's possible. MRX comes the closest to buying it, but that was written in the early afternoon. Nashville and Memphis seem to be going with the GFS, but saying models agree. That makes no sense to me.

Actually, the NAM was much warmer that run and there's a good bit of precip lost to rain for places south of 40. North of 40 and West of 81, not as much QPF fell as at 00z, 40 and South gets more rain. East of 81 gets hammered with big snow still.

Totals are basically 2 inches around the highland rim, 4 inches on the Southern Plateau, then rapidly increasing totals across the Valley towards the NE mountains from 2 to 14 inches.

I suspect some of this is due to the precip going from arriving early in the morning and starting as snow to arriving around 1-2 in the afternoon.

Yeah, it was maybe 11ish central time, so I may have been assuming the "latest models" included the GFS, but they say for the 2nd system it starts on the TN border.

The SE Forum guys say the NAM is way too warm normally, (I have no idea if true, but GaWx is pretty good as far as I can tell) so maybe those temps won't be as warm. I'd be happy with 3.5-4 inches right now.

Thanks, John. We know the Smokies should get more than that.

Still no disco, but my forecast updated with 20/30 percent chances of rain/snow. JKL has higher precip chances 50 miles north of me than MRX currently advertises. I'd guess they're being their normal self and holding out as long as they can before issuing any products or upping precip chances. Can't really blame them, everytime they issue decent chances it seems to fail. Like the current 50 percent chance of snow we've had going overnight and into today. Upstream radar has been a wasteland all night but they updated and carried it over into the new forecast for today.

It's where we wanted it. We want it to go from the Gulf Coast, to South Georgia and across the Carolina coastal plain if possible. Off shore = less snow potential for the Tennessee Valley. We want it far enough west to hit us with precip, while keeping us cold enough for snow.

Carvers - from caseyWXwatcher -

Wow euro eps mean has low pressure centered over the NC coast at hr84, definitely not offshore either.

Is that where you wanted the low? Or is that too late to help East TN? I hope it's ok to copy a post from there if I give credit.

John, that may have come in slower, but it's snowing hard in the beginning. TYS total went up to 7.8 snow on Cobb Data.

You want to check that I have the right info? ktys 06z Nam

That's crushing Knoxville with snow the first few hours, isn't it? I think that's a couple of inches higher than last time Stovepipe posted it.

=oops, sorry John. I had gotten scared I'd broken a rule and deleted that.

Here's the Cobb Data link I used in case I messed it up and someone can check me in the morning.

http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/cobb/cobb.php?model=namm&site=ktys

You can see their maps, but its BARELY inside the coast. Someone said the Greenville/Spartanburg office says it's going through the piedmont and I nearly never found it, but it's in their discussion here:

THE SFC REFLECTION DEVELOPING OVER THE DEEP S AHEAD OF THE TROUGH WILL TRANSITION TO THE IMMEDIATE CAROLINA COAST WED NIGHT...WHILE THE ASSOCIATED 850 MB LOW CENTER WILL LIKELY TRACK THROUGH THE PIEDMONT. THIS WILL PUT THE FORECAST AREA ON THE FAVORABLE NW SIDE OF THE LOW FOR A PERIOD OF HEAVIER PRECIPITATION LATE WED/WED NIGHT.

Link to discussion. I hope this is the same/correct low.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=GSP&product=AFD&issuedby=GSP&format=txt&version=1

From JKL.

SENSIBLE WEATHER WILL FEATURE A CONTINUATION OF OUR WINTRY THREATS

THAT WE HAVE ENDURED FOR MUCH OF THE PAST MONTH AND A HALF. AFTER A
QUIET AND COLD NIGHT...WEDNESDAY WILL SEE MOISTURE SEEPING NORTH FROM
THE GULF OF MEXICO UP THROUGH THE TENNESSEE VALLEY. A LOW TAKES SHAPE
OVER THE DEEP SOUTH AND STARTS TO TRACK INTO THE SOUTHERN
APPALACHIANS LATER IN THE DAY. THIS WILL SPREAD A COMMA HEAD OF PCPN
INTO SOUTHERN KENTUCKY AND OVER THE SOUTHERN HALF OF THE JKL CWA.
WITH THE COLD AIR IN PLACE...THIS MOISTURE WILL FALL AS MAINLY
SNOW...HEAVY AND WET...THROUGH THE CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN APPALACHIANS.

Wow....MRX seems to be going with an "ignore all models" blend.

THE MAIN
EVENT APPEARS TO BE TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY WHEN A STRONGER
SHORT WAVE BUILDS ACROSS THE SOUTHEASTERN U.S. THE SYSTEM WILL
GENERATE AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE AT THE SURFACE ACROSS THE
NORTHWESTERN GULF OF MEXICO BY TUESDAY EVENING. AS THE LOW MOVES
NORTHEAST INTO ALABAMA AND GEORGIA LOW LEVEL MOISTURE FROM THE GULF
WILL OVERSPREAD THE SOUTHERN APPALACHIAN REGION. TEMPERATURES SHOULD
BE COLD ENOUGH FOR ACCUMULATING SNOW ACROSS THE APPALACHIAN
MOUNTAINS WHERE ONE TO THREE INCHES OF SNOW MAY FALL BY DAYBREAK
WEDNESDAY. ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATION WEDNESDAY INTO WEDNESDAY NIGHT
COULD BRING TOTALS TO AROUND 3 TO 5 INCHES IN THE MOUNTAINS WITH
LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS ABOVE 5000 FEET. LIGHT SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS