From MRX at 11:23AM:

".DISCUSSION...EXTENDED EXPIRATION TIMES IN WINTER STORM WARNING

INTO THURSDAY AFTERNOON. LOW TRACK HUGGING COASTLINE THURSDAY WITH

NEGATIVELY TILTING UPPER TROUGH OVER SOUTHERN APPALACHIANS KEEPS

SNOWFALL GOING A FEW HOURS LONGER ACROSS EASTERN AND MAINLY NE

AREAS ON THURSDAY. RAISED SNOWFALL AMOUNTS SLIGHTLY FOR ADDITIONAL

THURSDAY SNOW. ADJUSTED SNOW AMOUNTS UPWARD TODAY ACROSS SOUTHERN

AREAS THIS AFTERNOON."

Here's a local met's explanation of why temps are 36F and a changeover has not happened yet in north AL: 

https://m.facebook.com/pages/Jeff-Castle-WAFF-48-Meteorologist/157575714314392?id=157575714314392&_rdr

Basically, UAH sent up a weather balloon this morning, and found we have 1500 ft of 36-37F air, so while a chageover will occur, north AL is not expected to get as much as predicted. The map he posted still said 4 inches, but I don't know if this was a new or old map. :(

Keep calm HSV and CHA; this was supposed to happen at lunch time. It will go back to snow early this afternoon in CHA and around mid-afternoon in HSV. I'm going to defer to John about BNA.

Mr. Bob probably explained it better than me; and, lots of other posts have addressed the downslope issue. It is not as bad Maryville north due to the orientation of the Valley. Northeast winds put CHA in the lee of the Smokies; Knox is on the side of that downslop plume, rather than in it. Today the Plateau is playing havoc farther west too. What giveth in NW flow, taketh away with the opposite wind direction. Should go to snow later this afternoon that way, but like I said John probably has better local knowledge than me. I'll focus on the literal Tennessee River Valley.

HSV temps are victim more to the Lower Plateau than the Smokies but comma head looks to push North Alabama back to snow. CHA will switch over before HSV since cold air is deeper here. MRX says it is 6,000 FT thick, which should mitigate too much downslope. Should. Even if it is trying to mix right now, after 18Z more northerly winds should turn the tide in favor of the cold. If I'm wrong, at least we have an inch on the ground.

Knoxville is absolutely golden, deeper cold airmass. You are above freezing right now but your web bulb should settle below 32; remember, it is a moving target. That 6,000 FT deep cold layer should hold just fine up there. TRI be patient; it is coming! Never really believed those modest totals by models 24-36 hours ago. Pattern recognition; TRI will get heavy snow - at least heavier than TYS. 

RGEM (Environment Canada NWP) did in fact hit the precip shield well. It also got that 18Z warming at 850 HSV-CHA. No problem. All NWP have 850 Ts and thicknesses dropping off by mid-afternoon. CHA-HSV will lose a couple tenths QPF on liquid and sleet, but the majority of QPF is scheduled after 21Z. It was always forecast that way; light in the morning and more late afternoon. As I'm typing a new post regarding HSV came in. Thank you UAH for releasing that balloon. Pls consider that too from their local knowledge. Otherwise this winter storm is behaving and going as planned.

I like NWS totals from the WFOs, even things verify on the low side of the ranges. Comma head will create local verification on the high side. Looking good. Enjoy!

Keep calm HSV and CHA; this was supposed to happen at lunch time. It will go back to snow early this afternoon in CHA and around mid-afternoon in HSV. I'm going to defer to John about BNA.

Mr. Bob probably explained it better than me; and, lots of other posts have addressed the downslope issue. It is not as bad Maryville north due to the orientation of the Valley. Northeast winds put CHA in the lee of the Smokies; Knox is on the side of that downslop plume, rather than in it. Today the Plateau is playing havoc farther west too. What giveth in NW flow, taketh away with the opposite wind direction. Should go to snow later this afternoon that way, but like I said John probably has better local knowledge than me. I'll focus on the literal Tennessee River Valley.

HSV temps are victim more to the Lower Plateau than the Smokies but comma head looks to push North Alabama back to snow. CHA will switch over before HSV since cold air is deeper here. MRX says it is 6,000 FT thick, which should mitigate too much downslope. Should. Even if it is trying to mix right now, after 18Z more northerly winds should turn the tide in favor of the cold. If I'm wrong, at least we have an inch on the ground.

Knoxville is absolutely golden, deeper cold airmass. You are above freezing right now but your web bulb should settle below 32; remember, it is a moving target. That 6,000 FT deep cold layer should hold just fine up there. TRI be patient; it is coming! Never really believed those modest totals by models 24-36 hours ago. Pattern recognition; TRI will get heavy snow - at least heavier than TYS. 

RGEM (Environment Canada NWP) did in fact hit the precip shield well. It also got that 18Z warming at 850 HSV-CHA. No problem. All NWP have 850 Ts and thicknesses dropping off by mid-afternoon. CHA-HSV will lose a couple tenths QPF on liquid and sleet, but the majority of QPF is scheduled after 21Z. It was always forecast that way; light in the morning and more late afternoon. As I'm typing a new post regarding HSV came in. Thank you UAH for releasing that balloon. Pls consider that too from their local knowledge. Otherwise this winter storm is behaving and going as planned.

I like NWS totals from the WFOs, even things verify on the low side of the ranges. Comma head will create local verification on the high side. Looking good. Enjoy!

So, Jeff, you feel the models were on the light side 24-36 hrs ago for TRI when you say modest OR do you mean the modest totals forecast for this afternoon were inaccurate?  I am assuming you mean the NAM and GFS...Anyway, great write-up as usual.  All systems go.

The 17z RAP closes this off by 2 CONTOURS at the end of the run at 500mb! This is a perfect position for east TN. I really like how this storm is coming together. Someone will see 1-2" per hour rates in the deform band tonight when it closes off. I willing to say that we could wake up in the morning with snow still falling (if you go to sleep!).

post-6441-0-77610200-1392231950_thumb.jp

also from MRX

We've been getting reports of a mix of rain, snow, and sleet around Chattanooga and Cleveland. The image below shows what that transition area looks like on our radar, taken from early this afternoon. The product is called "correlation coefficient", and tells us whether precipitation is mixed sizes or a uniform size. The white line is the transition area from rain (yellow and orange colors) to snow (purple colors). Your reports help us to better know that what we're seeing on radar is really happening at the ground.

1780617_696962677001774_765521654_n.jpg

Euro discussion from the SE Forum. Some said the low would go off the coast, but Hurricane Tracker, a Met says not so - it'll go up the coastal plain of SC and then through Pamlico, NC. I haven't checked a map yet, but we need him to be right, right?

Pamlico is on the main part of NC, not the Outer Banks, so I assume that helps.

Just have to say that this was not unexpected. Temps were marginal on the models all afternoon leading into the event. Despite the clouds, insolation still does its work. If it precipitated hard enough it could over come but we also knew that was not the case. As the storm really explodes and the low wraps up and our 500 low forms expect the temperatures to drop and everything to go back to snow. There will still be good amounts...perhaps not epic but there should be a good period of heavier snow even in Chatt this evening.

18z HRRR shows a lull after this 1st band comes through but then everything fills back in. This model seems to be handling the radar very well.

I am rolling w/ the RAP.  It is just about the only short-range model that correctly handled the precip in TN today.  There may be a lull between bands, but I would guess the evening unfolds in a RGEM/Euro/RAP way.  Those models have done the heavy lifting this week.  The Euro ruled the roost on this one.  The NAM and GFS have struggled IMO up to this point.

Archived