• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
"Earthquake-like tremors felt in ocean city"

North Balti Zen

I don't know anything about earthquakes other than what I learned when I had to teach Earth science for a couple of years, but in an area along the shore even the smallest quake would cause a stir.  Sandy soil amplifies the shaking so it wouldn't be too surprising that something smaller than a 2.5 would feel like something worse.

A few years back I was on a fishing trip about 15-20 miles off Ocean City, and we were buzzed by a supersonic F-15 (few hundred feet altitude) from Langley AFB in Virginia. It went behind us so I didn't see it; an earsplitting crack like a close lightning strike, I almost dropped my rod overboard.

So I'd vote sonic boom from training offshore.

In the Sun article, there are no aircraft capable of going supersonic at Dover AFB (just big transports) so it's the wrong base to ask.

They just confirmed that it was 2 planes doing exercises that caused the boom.

drove down Rt. 13 from SBY to Bridge Tunnel in Dec 09 and watched the Navy jets doing all sorts of exercises the entire way down

quite a show

almost as good as being on a parking lot roof top in Annapolis a few years back at USNA graduation when they were doing near 90 degree dives from about 15K right over the Academy and downtown Annapolis...that was even better

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/planes/q0060b.shtml

There really not suppose to do it, like I said pilot prolly got a earful...

Sent from my iPhone

But it's not illegal for them to go supersonic over the ocean.  It's not terribly uncommon, and the fact that two flights originating from the same location went supersonic together makes me think it wasn't accidental.

Archived