SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 13-14 potential snow storm

Mikehobbyst

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That northern stream kicker is really ruining what would have otherwise been an epic bomb. Looks like the low stops intensifying around hr 78.

H5 is closed off south of Long Island at 84 hours, the CCB developed northward as I expected it would based on the 72-78 hour panel. I don't think anything was "ruined".

This run shows a signature cold conveyor belt developing from DC and moving north to NYC and eventually Southern New England with intense dynamics and the potential for very heavy snow. The NAM is indicating 3-6 hour QPF totals in excess of 0.75" within the banding.

I'm seeing the surface freezing line running right a long 95. Looks warm SE of 95. At least from my interpretations.

It doesn't really matter...the column is likely saturated at that point and most people are ripping heavy snow and pasting. Look at the precipitation rates within the CCB and draw your own conclusions as to what's going on there.

H5 is closed off south of Long Island at 84 hours, the CCB developed northward as I expected it would based on the 72-78 hour panel. I don't think anything was "ruined".

This run shows a signature cold conveyor belt developing from DC and moving north to NYC and eventually Southern New England with intense dynamics and the potential for very heavy snow. The NAM is indicating 3-6 hour QPF totals in excess of 0.75" within the banding.

The freezing line hugs right near the coast throughout. Really good run for our area.

Yes, I missed that it closed back off at hour 84 after opening up the previous panel.

If the kicker is too strong, it could cause the H500 low to open up and knock down the CCB. It's looking like a sharp cutoff on the NW edge, wherever that ends up.

It's going to be a really interesting northwestern edge that's for sure. The mid level winds are really pressing on the development of the cold conveyor belt/associated precipitation. But if the models are correct, this could be some of the heaviest snow we have seen in this area in a while. The modeled lift and dynamics are extremely impressive within the banding and although the snow growth and accumulation rates may not be "perfect" based on the thermal profiles, there is going to be some epic paste-snow in these bands should they develop.

The mid level setup on the models right now argues for a deformation band from DC to PHL and then moving northeastward to NJ/NYC/LI. But that can change. For now..it looks really impressive.

f84.gif

Archived