joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 13-14 potential snow storm

Mikehobbyst

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really wish that low in the PAC NW would go away. It's flattening out the western ridge.

Been saying that for days but I have been told numerous times that it isn't the biggest reason why the ridge flattens. Apparently it's more due to what's going on in the western Pacific.

Again it's nice to see and the major models are all picking it up, but it's still in la la land so odds of this occurring are low. I do like the AO taking a spike negative around the time this storm occurs, as most big storms have occurred with a -AO. 

There's a nice 50-50 feature as the low starts to amplify its way up the coast. But this winter, this is a long way away and will likely change.

EDIT-it slides out as the low amplifies, so it easily verbatim could cut far enough west to give many slop/rain.

It may not be the 30" that a lot of us were hoping for but it's certainly 12"+ for a large area. Still a long way to go here. The low up near Seattle irks me. This could have really amplified if it wasn't for that.

Wouldn't the upper level flow from that low raise the heights? Also, I'm fine with 12"+ of snow. 

Wouldn't the upper level flow from that low raise the heights? Also, I'm fine with 12"+ of snow. 

It's flattening the western ridge right as the southern stream wave is attempting to amplify up the coast. I think it's a lot of the blame for why a lot of ensemble members are showing this slipping OTS.

It's flattening the western ridge right as the southern stream wave is attempting to amplify up the coast. I think it's a lot of the blame for why a lot of ensemble members are showing this slipping OTS.

I'm looking at the Pacific now. Actually, that upper low could conceivably help to pump up a western ridge. I think the flatness results from there being just too much going on, one system after another, in the fast flow. In order for the ridge to build, there has to be enough room. Same for a HECS, there just has not been enough room and I'm not sure there will be. But it will be really interesting to see what the impacts of the ridging near Greenland may be.

WX/PT

Again there's more to it than just the NW Low.

Archived