• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2014 Observations

jaxjagman

Madison, AL ended up with about four inches of snow. Temp was 33F until well after midnight, paerhaps even later, so the snow buildup never got too deep. Another degree or two warmer and we would have ended up with eight inches of snow the way it was coming down. Some people were losing power in areas with more snow, so I am very happy that the temps stayed warm. 

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow...going out with a bang....pretty hard snow right now in Kingsport.

Yeah, this band has given me an additional 2-1/2" since 10am. I'm hoping it can squeeze out another 1-3/4" to reach 10" for the total, but if it quits right now, I'm perfectly content with 8-1/4" for the final total. Can't be greedy! Great finale to an awesome winter storm.

Just very light flurries now. I don't think we'll get much more in the way of accumulations, so I took a final measurement. I'm 8 miles south of Bristol, near the south fork of the Holston River, in Sullivan County.

8-1/4 inches was my average around the house (deck, vehicles, ground). Here's a few photos:

Feb12-13storm_total.jpg

Feb12-13storm_total2.jpg

Surprisingly large temperature differences around the area. Crossville and Knoxville are 33 and 32 respectively. Middlesboro is also 33. I am sitting at 21 degrees right now. Oak Ridge is 26. I guess it must be deeper snow cover. I still have 4 inches on the ground. I guess Oak Ridge has some too since they got 7-9 inches.

Down to 20, hopefully it clouds up quickly this morning and holds temps down as much as possible today. Would love to see snow fall on top of snow on the ground that I have. If it's not sunny this afternoon I should be able to keep the snow cover. The 3-4 on the ground now is frozen rock solid due to it's high moisture content and the melting in the sun yesterday, combined with the frigid temps tonight.

Rain has started here, we're at 37 degrees. Which is much lower than every surrounding reporting station. MRX is still all in for this one, JKL backed way off though. We'll see. 2500 feet or so often seems to be the dividing line here when I see MRX saying 3500 in the Smokies. 

There won't by any accumulation issues here like they speak of in the AFD, if it snows, it will be falling on top of snow, as only the places that get all day sun have melted down to ground, mostly everything is still well covered by several inches of snow. I made a video on my way home that I'm uploading now, by my high speed internet is slower than most (no cable here), so it'll be a bit before it uploads.

Probably going to be another clipper  bust for MRX barring something very odd going down. It's been Bizzaro world for them, whatever they say will happen, almost the opposite does. I can't see anyone getting more than 1/2 inch of snow at this point outside the highest peaks of the Smokies where it may be snowing already.

Archived