Newest Member
    joxey
February 4-5 Snow, Ice, Sleet, Rain Obs

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like it.

That's good for all you guys and gals getting freezing rain, but it's bad for me. With it moving out so quickly, the boss man may make me go out trucking this afternoon, and I'm just not really into it after sitting home for a good chunk of my normal shift already.

Just got into the Central Jersey office, haven't seen this much ice accumulation on trees since 94, has to be at least a 1/2".

At least there's power at the office..

If I can add correctly PECO is now reporting over 482k outages, over 100k each in Chester, Montco & Bucks - 55% of the customer base has no power in these counties!

Nice pics Fishinfool.  Those trees are really at their limit- look at the bend!  The ice wasn't nearly so bad hear in North East (MD).  Trees are covered and my pines are bending but most of the snow had fallen off prior to the ice.  Driving home from work yesterday (West Chester) most of the trees up there were still covered.  The office is closed today due to the weather (and probably no power).

Craig Allen just said on 880 AM that he's seeing the warm-up stopping its northward progression and it starting to reverse, as the coastal low takes over (I had mentioned the same in my email an hour ago) and winds shift to the NE, bringing colder air back in.  If he's right about that and I have no reason to doubt him, much of Central Jersey from maybe Trenton to Perth Amboy and points north/west of there up to about 78 may hold onto freezing rain for longer than expected (same for SE PA north of about 276). 

I know I just went outside and it's still just 30F and sleet has mixed back in with the freezing rain, indicating a deeper layer of cold air is now in place near the surface (i.e., implying more cold air has moved back in). 

By the way, my 2" of sleet bring me to 40" for the season.  Woohoo!!

Great post/analysis by Craig Allen, linked below, highlighting that the warm-up is over and colder air is filtering back in, which will likely keep most folks north of maybe a Trenton to Perth Amboy line in the freezing rain/sleet for the next few hours. Just went outside and it's still freezing rain here (no more sleet right now) and 30F with about 0.25" of ice accreted on trees/branches - and a friend of ours just posted pics of a power line down and on fire here in front of their house in Metuchen. Yikes!  It's pretty bad out there with 84 closed between PA and CT, several hundred thousand without power in our region, NE corridor trains suspended, and tons of accidents.  Back edge of the precip should get here in the early afternoon.

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/permalink.php?story_fbid=10152193793942720&id=230609267719

PECO now over 532k outages which makes this the worst winter time disruption on record, Jan 1994 ice storm resulted in 520k outages.

Only saving grace is it's not too windy, ice was definitely an issue in 94 but what exacerbated the problem were the high winds that followed the storm. If we had strong winds today you'd rival the Irene & Sandy outages.

PECO now over 532k outages which makes this the worst winter time disruption on record, Jan 1994 ice storm resulted in 520k outages.

Only saving grace is it's not too windy, ice was definitely an issue in 94 but what exacerbated the problem were the high winds that followed the storm. If we had strong winds today you'd rival the Irene & Sandy outages.

Not sure you can call it the worst, as I'm sure it's a smaller percentage. Probably thousands more properties and accounts added over the last 20yrs.

Brutal here in Middletown. Tried to go to work but too many roads shut down. Forge Road and Gradyville Road are shut down in parts. Route 352 was shut at the intersection of 926 and 926 is shut close to Cheyney Road. Valley Road should be shut down in the area around the old Sleighton School as there is a downed set of wires.

Power has been out since early this morning. Running on generator.

Raining and 34F.

Archived