• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and The Fringes - February 2014 Part II

Zac, one thing to keep in mind is that region of Kentucky is notorious for zr events. Something about the typography creates a magnet for zr no where else sees. It's a document,enter thing someone posted on the old board, it was crazy.

So while they are seeing a lot of zr you can't verbatim extrapolate that eastward as the thermal and typo differences are fairly profound.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously. Mid Atlantic Weather, Storms, and Anomalies first raised this possibility a couple days ago wh he said he would not be surprised if there wasn't a "single tree left standing or person with power."

Really? They should see my uncle's pics of the 2009 ice storm that hit Paducah and western KY. 1.5-1.75" of freezing rain with a steady wind. That completely debranched the majority of trees down there and you could see the effects of that a few years after that. Trees have finally begun to look normal again the last couple times i've been down.

This could be quite a significant ice maker across the south, but it won't be to that level. The storms moving too rapidly for one, and the higher rates/sleet might limit ice accrual a bit. What the storm does have going for it impact wise is that this things gonna be rolling in the dead of night and the snow on the trees already adds to the weight on especially pine trees. I still expect some early snow and/or sleet to burn off some of the QPF. We'll probably see a swath of 0.5", but not sure on higher than that other than for some scattered spots. If this rolls in and starts off as freezing rain right off the bat, CTP will likely consider ice storm warnings and potentially greater than a half inch. But regardless, a half inch of ice will make a mess for sure. That Pre-Thanksgiving storm we had up here was around half an inch and Blair 911 was nonstop all night with road closures and trees/branches down. 

At least in terms of location of the "bands", this does look to be setting up favorably for KUNV-KIPT. A nice stream of steady, moderate-to-heavy precip lined up all the way back to western KY, pointed right at us.

Also, this is about two hours earlier than the HRRR (or about 1.5 hours earlier than the NAM) had the precip starting in KJST and the rest of the area that's now getting precip.

Not to brag... I have 4 monitors on one system. Two 21 inch touch, 15 inch and a 32 inch tv connected via HDMI. 

But then I am geek.

Weather note most schools are closed. 

None of the storms lately have been big enough for me to break out the big guns. Time to crank it up.

1798352_10152299779342009_401456636_n.jp

Archived