• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    roger7189
    Newest Member
    roger7189
WeatherFox

February 3, 2014 Snowstorm Observations

Snow is underway here in Metuchen with a light coating on the ground already, as temps have dropped to 33F at the surface, allowing accumulations to occur. I seriously hope this helps people let go of the myth that snow will have a hard time accumulating after a warm day, as snow will accumulate, even at marginal temps, if the rate is high enough, plus the surface temp cools to freezing quite quickly with falling snow. Going to be a tough morning commute with 1-2" per hour rates through much of rush hour. NWS finally upgraded Somerset and Hunterdon to WSWarnings, by the way.  Let's hope the 4-8" predictions verify...

28 in highlnd lakes. Looks to be around 1/2 inch of new snow

I think Sussex county sees 4-7" NW-SE. Wednesday looks very interesting and next Sunday / Monday is drool worthy at this point!

Weather,politics the old saying it is all local ain't that the truth.Northern Queens it maybe rained for 30 min. max been awake since 3  ya know that exciting superbowl ,snow storms get the juices flowing  never gets old.

Sounds like you made good time.SI has its charms; the area near the zoo is quite pleasant.

Road just wet , 3 mins to VZ  from here , so its a straight shot with no traffic . Any obs down in MC would be appreciated . Headed to city

thanks, Good luck to you all .

Guest Pamela

Just woke up...heavy snow Port Jefferson...at least 1/2 inch on ground...caught me by surprise...roads snow covered.

Note 6z NAM with 12 - 16 inches for parts of Long Island / 30 - 40 cm.  Moderate snow continuing in Port Jefferson.

post-747-0-33254500-1391425256_thumb.gif

Note 6z NAM with 12 - 16 inches for parts of Long Island / 30 - 40 cm.  Moderate snow continuing in Port Jefferson.

That includes southern Queens & S.I as well William. Rock & Roll!

snow rain mix here in West Babylon..this is going to cut down on the snow totals on the south shore I think

Look on the bright side, were getting more precip than the north shore!

Down to 31 in Colts Neck , Have to think the R/S line made down there .

32 in Dyker Park Mod to Heavy  snow , everything starting to get covered .

The 'nw' trend on all these storms this year right through the event has been increadible....

Began with that storm in January 2000.

Central Park now 33° with liquid storm total of .24"  Guessing about an 1" on the snowboard.  With at least .50 liquid equivalent still to come at 10 to 1 ratio, storm total snowfall around 6" looks good.  If the 1" NAM verifies high end of 9" in Central Park.