Total Members
    Most Online
    binbisso
    Newest Member
    binbisso
WeatherFox

February 3, 2014 Snowstorm Observations

Urban heat island in full effect!!!

My commute from Nassau county to Jersery City went from white to wet to white.  Total cakage in nassau but when i emerged from Penn Station in Manhattan there was barely any snow on the sidewalks or trees and the snow was borderline mixing with rain.  I then emerged from the Path train in Jersey City and its cakage all over again.

cctv19.jpg?math=0.6282831078860909

Bad luck. Haven't pinned one yet this year. 

10-4  HAHA.  No worries just me being lazy the other model thread is still being posted in with obs.

Anyway - I don't see how cnj doesn't get 8 -12 before it tapers off later in the afternoon...

What's it like out there on the roads...gotta take my wife in to S plainfield to work...I have 4wd.

County roads like 531 and 514 are snow covered, as is Route 27; didn't make it onto 1 or 287, but with the snowfall rates, I'd be surprised if they weren't getting snow covered (can check the traffic cams).  They're certainly passable, but traffic is moving slowly and I'm sure there are going to be plenty of fender benders. 

County roads like 531 and 514 are snow covered, as is Route 27; didn't make it onto 1 or 287, but with the snowfall rates, I'd be surprised if they weren't getting snow covered (can check the traffic cams).  They're certainly passable, but traffic is moving slowly and I'm sure there are going to be plenty of fender benders. 

Thanks and forgive the multiple quotes they aren't my fault; I'm heading out now. This stuff is thick and hard to get off the truck.

Yeah the diffence between nnj and nyc is pretty amazing. . Even when is really cold..snow doesn't stick that much there.. heat island for real.

There is nothing to stick to unless you are in Central Park.

Yeah the diffence between nnj and nyc is pretty amazing. . Even when is really cold..snow doesn't stick that much there.. heat island for real.

You need some pretty hefty rates for awhile to accumulate on the streets of Manhattan. 1/2" per hour or less is not going to get it done.

Awesome shot!!!  Finally we get a storm that accumulates on the trees

Thanks! I love the soft, relaxing feel of the pure fluff, but there is nothing like the wintry scene when the snow is heavy and wet. 

Since almost everyone is in this thread in the NYC Metro region, figured I'd post this here, so people don't miss it: NWS just issued winter storm watches for Tuesday night/Weds, for 2-4" of snow, followed by 0.1-0.25" of freezing rain, for all of NYC, NE NJ, and LI - I'm guessing Middlesex County, where I live will be expecting similar weather (as will much of the rest of NJ to the N/W of the NJ TPK, at least from about the Raritan River, northward.  Winter ain't over yet, lol.  Plus Bill Evans just said he thinks we could be getting a major snowstorm this weekend (mostly snow).  Could be an historic week...

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=NYZ074&warncounty=NYC085&firewxzone=NYZ074&local_place1=&product1=Winter+Storm+Watch

I work on the Upper West (66th & Columbus) and live down in Tribeca... The difference on the sidewalks is pretty ridic between the two areas... Snow viz was no more than 7 or 8 blocks on UWS... 

Since almost everyone is in this thread in the NYC Metro region, figured I'd post this here, so people don't miss it: NWS just issued winter storm watches for Tuesday night/Weds, for 2-4" of snow, followed by 0.1-0.25" of freezing rain, for all of NYC, NE NJ, and LI - I'm guessing Middlesex County, where I live will be expecting similar weather (as will much of the rest of NJ to the N/W of the NJ TPK, at least from about the Raritan River, northward. Winter ain't over yet, lol. Plus Bill Evans just said he thinks we could be getting a major snowstorm this weekend (mostly snow). Could be an historic week...

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=NYZ074&warncounty=NYC085&firewxzone=NYZ074&local_place1=&product1=Winter+Storm+Watch

Thanks..they were actually issued early this morning though