Newest Member
    skat322
WeatherFox

February 3, 2014 Snowstorm Observations

Glen Oaks, NY (eastern Queens)

Temp: 31.1

Snowfall: 2.2 inches

Conditions: Ripping

Snowing HEAVILY here since the changeover at 5:00AM. What has surprised me there was and is absolutely no issue with warm grounds. As soon as the changeover occurred, ALL surfaces immediately began to cover. I really expected a fight to go on with the snow and warmer grounds with temps modeled to hover around freezing. 

this has been truly a remarkable winter with the surprise snowstorms, extreme cold and continued storm chances. I can not imagine Wednesday and what it could bring. Yeah - yeah, I know… snow to ice to rain. But can you blame me for saying let me see it to believe it! I won't be surprised if the colder trending of the models for Wednesday continues and we get more snow than expected!

Lets not even discuss Sunday/Monday… I don't have the ability to imagine that well. Lol

4k NAM has snow lasting until about 0z for NYC. But the heaviest intensity is now through early afternoon.

I think it wraps up early too. By 2-3 the heaviest is gone and then maybe some lighter stuff for an hour or 2.

Well that's the heaviest snow band and should remain....norristown, pa to Princeton to old bridge....just switched to snow and will be 2-3"/hour. Was expected and the HRRR is gradually pulling it's heaviest accumulations south through that area 12"+

This is clearly going to overperform big time for the entire region. Storm is only a few hours old...just getting started. Heaviest is still to come!

is that heavy stuff going to come north at all? I'm in Somerset county and already have 3+ inches and snowing pretty heavily

it's bright banding caused by wet/melting snow