Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 3, 2014 Snowstorm Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, just wow!  Just got in, after dropping my son off at the train station, then an early doc's appt, then shoveling for the first time in this storm.  When I left the house at 7:00 am, we had 1" on the ground and it was falling moderately.  As of 9:00 am, we have 3.5" on the ground, which is a bit over 1" per hour.  If we hold onto rates like this for another 4-5 hours, we're going to get 8-10" of heavy, wet snow.  By mass, that's probably twice as much snow as we got with 10" on 1/21, assuming 8-10:1 ratios vs. 20:1 last time.

I see Mt. Holly put us in the 6-8" range on the map and extended the WSWarnings to Warren/Morris and they say that the snow/rain line is now from about Wilmington over to Belmar and sinking SE-ward, so everyone should get some snow, just about. 

WE HAVE DECIDED TO ISSUE A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR THE LEHIGH

VALLEY INTO MORRIS AND WARREN COUNTIES OF NJ. THIS WAS BASED ON

CONTINUING SNOWFALL IN THESE AREAS WITH RECENT REPORTS INDICATING

TOTALS WILL SOON BE AT LOW-END WARNING CRITERIA (SIX INCHES). THE

WINTER WEATHER FLAGS IN OTHER AREAS WILL REMAIN AS-IS OF NOW. THE

RAIN-SNOW LINE EXTENDS FROM NEAR KBLM SW TO JUST NORTH OF KILG.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=PHI&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=0&highlight=off

Wow, just wow!  Just got in, after dropping my son off at the train station, then an early doc's appt, then shoveling for the first time in this storm.  When I left the house at 7:00 am, we had 1" on the ground and it was falling moderately.  As of 9:00 am, we have 3.5" on the ground, which is a bit over 1" per hour.  If we hold onto rates like this for another 4-5 hours, we're going to get 8-10" of heavy, wet snow.  By mass, that's probably twice as much snow as we got with 10" on 1/21, assuming 8-10:1 ratios vs. 20:1 last time.

I see Mt. Holly put us in the 6-8" range on the map and extended the WSWarnings to Warren/Morris and they say that the snow/rain line is now from about Wilmington over to Belmar and sinking SE-ward, so everyone should get some snow, just about. 

WE HAVE DECIDED TO ISSUE A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR THE LEHIGH

VALLEY INTO MORRIS AND WARREN COUNTIES OF NJ. THIS WAS BASED ON

CONTINUING SNOWFALL IN THESE AREAS WITH RECENT REPORTS INDICATING

TOTALS WILL SOON BE AT LOW-END WARNING CRITERIA (SIX INCHES). THE

WINTER WEATHER FLAGS IN OTHER AREAS WILL REMAIN AS-IS OF NOW. THE

RAIN-SNOW LINE EXTENDS FROM NEAR KBLM SW TO JUST NORTH OF KILG.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=PHI&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=0&highlight=off

What's it like out there on the roads...gotta take my wife in to S plainfield to work...I have 4wd.

Astonished it is only an advisory here (near Sparta). We easily will exceed 6".

They obviously played it conservative up this way. I do not blame them and rarely nitpick there forecasts based on what's going on imby. I wonder how much snow Wantage or Montague have?

Daily Snowfall Records (2/3) for Select City:

Bridgeport: 5.7", 1996

Islip: 5.0", 1996

New York City:

...JFK: 6.0", 1961 and 1996

...LGA: 7.1", 1961

...NYC: 6.0", 1961 and 1996

Newark: 7.4", 1961

Thanks as always Don.  Some nice years to be in company with.  Will be close for some if not all of those.  Id wager NYC is beat.  Newark next best chance but will be close right around those amounts.

Same here neighbor!  Just hit 5" (a little over).  Still says 3-5" on the point and click.  Sussex county seems the neglected step child of Mt Holly!  Enjoy!

Nice to be on the right side of the finge this time!  Feel there is pretty decent gradient across our county and think Northern area probably have about 1/2 of what we have, heavy echos just reaching southern 1/3 of County.  Since they issue warning for whole county this is probably holding them back.  Enjoying this and looking with hopeful eyes to Tue night/Wed and Sun/Mon.

Archived