Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 3, 2014 Snowstorm Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The heaviest snow is mostly south of where the nam had it at this point that's all. Doesn't necessarily mean it will end up that way.

Maybe for down there but whoever was expecting more than 4" up here was setting themselves  up for disappointment. I think its going according to plan for these parts. 

Snow is underway here in Metuchen with a light coating on the ground already, as temps have dropped to 33F at the surface, allowing accumulations to occur. I seriously hope this helps people let go of the myth that snow will have a hard time accumulating after a warm day, as snow will accumulate, even at marginal temps, if the rate is high enough, plus the surface temp cools to freezing quite quickly with falling snow. Going to be a tough morning commute with 1-2" per hour rates through much of rush hour. NWS finally upgraded Somerset and Hunterdon to WSWarnings, by the way.  Let's hope the 4-8" predictions verify...

Wow, just wow!  Just got in, after dropping my son off at the train station, then an early doc's appt, then shoveling for the first time in this storm.  When I left the house at 7:00 am, we had 1" on the ground and it was falling moderately.  As of 9:00 am, we have 3.5" on the ground, which is a bit over 1" per hour.  If we hold onto rates like this for another 4-5 hours, we're going to get 8-10" of heavy, wet snow.  By mass, that's probably twice as much snow as we got with 10" on 1/21, assuming 8-10:1 ratios vs. 20:1 last time.

I see Mt. Holly put us in the 6-8" range on the map and extended the WSWarnings to Warren/Morris and they say that the snow/rain line is now from about Wilmington over to Belmar and sinking SE-ward, so everyone should get some snow, just about. 

WE HAVE DECIDED TO ISSUE A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR THE LEHIGH

VALLEY INTO MORRIS AND WARREN COUNTIES OF NJ. THIS WAS BASED ON

CONTINUING SNOWFALL IN THESE AREAS WITH RECENT REPORTS INDICATING

TOTALS WILL SOON BE AT LOW-END WARNING CRITERIA (SIX INCHES). THE

WINTER WEATHER FLAGS IN OTHER AREAS WILL REMAIN AS-IS OF NOW. THE

RAIN-SNOW LINE EXTENDS FROM NEAR KBLM SW TO JUST NORTH OF KILG.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=PHI&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=0&highlight=off

Archived