Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 3rd Snowstorm

earthlight

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also...to continue discussion from prior thread:

If I lived in Southeast NJ I would be really worried about a significant amount of taint from this system. The high resolution forecast models are showing the 925mb low passing overhead there and during heavy precipitation the temperatures actually increase from 0.5 to 1.0 at that level. The 925mb low doesn't really close until it passes southeast of there, and by that time the best lift for heavy precipitation is streaming off the coast. 

I think areas Southeast of MT Holly and along the SE New Jersey shore could be really disappointed. It is easy to ignore this when looking at the models but it doesn't look very good there. 

Long Island looks to get really lucky with this system as the front sags just south of that latitude and the 925mb low is far enough south so that the wind direction helps to avoid any taint at all. 

Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

337 PM EST SUN FEB 2 2014

DEZ001-MDZ008-NJZ016>020-026-027-PAZ070-071-102-104-106-030930-

/O.UPG.KPHI.WS.A.0004.140203T1100Z-140203T2100Z/

/O.NEW.KPHI.WS.W.0004.140203T1100Z-140204T0000Z/

NEW CASTLE-CECIL-SALEM-GLOUCESTER-CAMDEN-NORTHWESTERN BURLINGTON-

OCEAN-COASTAL OCEAN-SOUTHEASTERN BURLINGTON-DELAWARE-PHILADELPHIA-

EASTERN CHESTER-EASTERN MONTGOMERY-LOWER BUCKS-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WILMINGTON...ELKTON...PENNSVILLE...

GLASSBORO...CAMDEN...CHERRY HILL...MOORESTOWN...MOUNT HOLLY...

JACKSON...LONG BEACH ISLAND...WHARTON STATE FOREST...MEDIA...

PHILADELPHIA...WEST CHESTER...KENNET SQUARE...NORRISTOWN...

LANSDALE...MORRISVILLE...DOYLESTOWN

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM TO 7 PM EST MONDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WARNING FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT

FROM 6 AM TO 7 PM EST MONDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER

IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...THE FAR NORTHEAST PORTION OF MARYLAND AND

SOUTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA THROUGH NORTHERN DELAWARE AND SOUTH

CENTRAL NEW JERSEY INCLUDING PHILADELPHIA AND WILMINGTON

DELAWARE.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW...HEAVY AT TIMES.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 6 INCHES.

* TIMING...PRECIPITATION BEGINS PROBABLY AS RAIN EARLY MONDAY

MORNING AND THEN STARTS TO CHANGEOVER TO A RAIN AND SNOW MIX

DURING THE MORNING COMMUTE. THE FINAL TRANSITION TO ALL SNOW

SHOULD TAKE PLACE BY LATE MORNING. THE SNOW COULD BECOME HEAVY

AT TIMES BY LATE MORNING THROUGH MONDAY AFTERNOON.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 30S TOMORROW DROPPING INTO THE TEENS

AND LOWER 20S TOMORROW NIGHT. ANY LEFTOVER MOISTURE TOMORROW

NIGHT WILL FREEZE TO MANY UNTREATED SURFACES.

* IMPACTS...ROADS AND WALKWAYS COULD BE SNOW COVERED AND SLIPPERY

DURING THE MORNING AND AFTERNOON, CREATING HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS.

* WINDS...NORTH 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 MPH.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW...

SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO

POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.

still don't understand why Ocean County is under a winter storm warning with 2 -4 forecasted and middlesex county just gets a winter weather advisory at 4- 6 inches forecasted - having lived in both places doesn't make any sense to me - basically the same type of folks and the same amount of snow removal equipment etc etc

http://kamala.cod.edu/nj/latest.fpus51.KPHI.html

Winter Weather AdvisoryURGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

NJZ009-013>015-PAZ101-103-105-030930-
/O.UPG.KPHI.WS.A.0004.140203T1100Z-140203T2100Z/
/O.NEW.KPHI.WW.Y.0007.140203T1100Z-140204T0000Z/
HUNTERDON-WESTERN MONMOUTH-EASTERN MONMOUTH-MERCER-
WESTERN CHESTER-WESTERN MONTGOMERY-UPPER BUCKS-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...FLEMINGTON...FREEHOLD...SANDY HOOK...
TRENTON...HONEY BROOK...OXFORD...COLLEGEVILLE...POTTSTOWN...
CHALFONT...PERKASIE

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM TO 7 PM EST
MONDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM TO 7 PM
EST MONDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...THE FAR NORTHERN AND WESTERN SUBURBS OF PHILADELPHIA
AND PORTIONS OF CENTRAL NEW JERSEY.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW...HEAVY AT TIMES.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 6 INCHES.

* TIMING...PRECIPITATION BEGINS PROBABLY AS A RAIN AND SNOW MIX
EARLY MONDAY MORNING AND THEN STARTS TO CHANGEOVER TO ALL SNOW
BY THE MID-MORNING TIMEFRAME. THE SNOW COULD BECOME HEAVY FOR A
FEW HOURS LATE MONDAY MORNING.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 30S TOMORROW DROPPING INTO THE
TEENS AND LOWER 20S TOMORROW NIGHT. ANY LEFTOVER MOISTURE
TOMORROW NIGHT WILL FREEZE TO MANY UNTREATED SURFACES.

* IMPACTS...ROADS AND WALKWAYS COULD BE SNOW COVERED AND SLIPPERY
DURING THROUGHOUT THE DAY, CREATING HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS.

* WINDS...NORTH 5 TO 10 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 MPH.

still don't understand why Ocean County is under a winter storm warning with 2 -4 forecasted and middlesex county just gets a winter weather advisory at 4- 6 inches forecasted - having lived in both places doesn't make any sense to me - basically the same type of folks and the same amount of snow removal equipment etc etc

Different criteria by the NWS, Ocean's WSW is for 4-6, really what's the difference anyway.

The south and east press of colder surface and 850mb temps really seems to slow and then stop over southeast NJ.  South and east of a line from Salem County to the Seaside area (central Ocean County) could be in for a long delay before a changeover at the end.  I am thinking I will rain here in southeastern Monmouth until the heavier precip arrives around 7am or 8am.

Different criteria by the NWS, Ocean's WSW is for 4-6, really what's the difference anyway.

yes I agree - also if the gfs comes in at 18Z with higher qpf and all the models hold on to the higher qpf at 0Z everyone will be under a winter storm warning

The issues I have with forecasting higher snowfall amounts are ratios, snow growth and surface temperatures. As ridiculous as it may sound after weeks of temperatures well below freezing, we have to remember that we're well into the 50's everywhere today. These frontal boundary to snow events are always a little difficult to forecast and we're going to have to really carefully watch if precipitation starts as rain especially south of NYC. All of that aside, a few things to remember.

First, ratios are going to be low and crappy. It is easy to look at 0.75" of liquid and say "MECS" but that isn't the case here I can promise you that. This will likely end up being a solid moderate snowstorm -- and don't get me wrong, has the potential to be significant too -- but isn't quite a layup yet. When you consider 0.50 to 0.75" liquid with 10-12:1 ratios, you get 3-6/4-8" of snow tops and I think that is what we're looking at.

Many areas especially near the coast and urban locales are going to lose some liquid to non-sticking snow. I love snow falling as much as the next guy but when we're talking accumulations it is very important to take this into account. Finally, snowflake production on most soundings is good...but borderine...the newest model runs are better in shifting the best lift into the snow growth region and that adds some confidence. But it remains an uncertainty.

I think we see 4-8" amounts in the heaviest bands which should stream northeast just to the north and west of the stalled frontal zone which will be over Southeast NJ and just S of Long Island. This will bring the best stuff from SE PA in to North-Central NJ by Monday afternoon and then moving into NYC. There are some indications of weakening lift over Long Island as well so that is something to consider moving forward. 

The areas underneath those bands are likely to experience the heaviest snow and best growth as well as highest accumulations. Areas south of those bands are more than likely to see lighter snowfall amounts with fluctuating precipitation types especially SE  of Mount Holly. I ultimately think the 2-5" will be relatively uniform in this CWA over Northern NJ and CT where steady light to moderate snow will accumulate faster as colder air funnels in throughout the atmospheric column. 

Just some thoughts moving forward. 

Middlesex criterion is 6" for WSWarning, while Ocean's is 4".  Still surprised Mercer/Hunterdon/Monmouth are warnings and Middlesex/Somerset are advisories, when all have the same 6" criterion for a warning. 

12hrsnwwrng.jpg

12hrsnwwrng.jpg

The issues I have with forecasting higher snowfall amounts are ratios, snow growth and surface temperatures. As ridiculous as it may sound after weeks of temperatures well below freezing, we have to remember that we're well into the 50's everywhere today. These frontal boundary to snow events are always a little difficult to forecast and we're going to have to really carefully watch if precipitation starts as rain especially south of NYC. All of that aside, a few things to remember.

First, ratios are going to be low and crappy. It is easy to look at 0.75" of liquid and say "MECS" but that isn't the case here I can promise you that. This will likely end up being a solid moderate snowstorm -- and don't get me wrong, has the potential to be significant too -- but isn't quite a layup yet. When you consider 0.50 to 0.75" liquid with 10-12:1 ratios, you get 3-6/4-8" of snow tops and I think that is what we're looking at.

Many areas especially near the coast and urban locales are going to lose some liquid to non-sticking snow. I love snow falling as much as the next guy but when we're talking accumulations it is very important to take this into account. Finally, snowflake production on most soundings is good...but borderine...the newest model runs are better in shifting the best lift into the snow growth region and that adds some confidence. But it remains an uncertainty.

I think we see 4-8" amounts in the heaviest bands which should stream northeast just to the north and west of the stalled frontal zone which will be over Southeast NJ and just S of Long Island. This will bring the best stuff from SE PA in to North-Central NJ by Monday afternoon and then moving into NYC. There are some indications of weakening lift over Long Island as well so that is something to consider moving forward. 

The areas underneath those bands are likely to experience the heaviest snow and best growth as well as highest accumulations. Areas south of those bands are more than likely to see lighter snowfall amounts with fluctuating precipitation types especially SE  of Mount Holly. I ultimately think the 2-5" will be relatively uniform in this CWA over Northern NJ and CT where steady light to moderate snow will accumulate faster as colder air funnels in throughout the atmospheric column. 

Just some thoughts moving forward. 

Good points, but keep in mind that either way we’re getting decent snowfall and in reality, even for places that get 5-6” of snow it’s going to be a heavy wet snow with about 0.5-0.6” liquid equivalents (10:1, snow:liquid ratio), as compared to the 8-12” we got in the last storm, which also featured about 0.5-0.6” liquid equivalent (at 20:1 ratios) – i.e., even though snow depths may be half of the last storm, snow masses would end up being the same. It's a little arbitrary to say that the first storm was twice as bad as the latter one, if it works out like that.  The biggest difference, to me, with regard to impacts will likely be that we get more melting, especially during the day and on major highways vs. the 1/21 system, and no drifting; on the other hand, trees will likely be weighted down much more, which could lead to some power outages where 6"+ falls. 

Middlesex criterion is 6" for WSWarning, while Ocean's is 4".  Still surprised Mercer/Hunterdon/Monmouth are warnings and Middlesex/Somerset are advisories, when all have the same 6" criterion for a warning. 

Mercer/Hunterdon/Monmouth are all advisories right now, not warnings. 

Archived