SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2/8 - 2/10 Winter Storm Threat

Heisy

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are just outside of the 12Z Nam Fire Weather range which did great with the last storm as far as qpf is concerned, but it looks like it brings between .25 and .5 by just following the map (again, that's a guess, for all I know it could be a dry slot).  The 12 NAM is between .1 and .25, so it will be interesting to see if it starts ticking up.  2-4" is certainly not out of the question, making this yet another plowable event. 

Is it true that it handles southern stream storms/ patterns better that northern stream ones.

It seems like the gap between it and other models is largest during el nino regimes, when the subtrop jet would be stronger. I have heard people call the gfs a northern stream model. The changes to modeling are coming faster and more furious, so even we looked back at 2009-10, neither model is the same. I wouldnt say the ECMWF has dusted the other models this season, but when you look at the QPF evaluations within 84hrs in our area, its still leading in most categories.

It seems like the gap between it and other models is largest during el nino regimes, when the subtrop jet would be stronger. I have heard people call the gfs a northern stream model. The changes to modeling are coming faster and more furious, so even we looked back at 2009-10, neither model is the same. I wouldnt say the ECMWF has dusted the other models this season, but when you look at the QPF evaluations within 84hrs in our area, its still leading in most categories.

Thanks Rainshadow. Every model has it's weaknesses, gfs too progressive, nam too wet and so on. I wonder at what point will we see that "jump" in model computing power and they begin to get highly more accurate.

Nam seemed to do just fine. Either way, aren't we talking about a .1 inch difference in qpf?

GFS, NAM and EC all gathered around 0.1", but it's clear that actual was closer to 0.2". Not a lot, but more than they had, same as the events last week and probably others. (1/3 comes to mind)

Archived