joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter

Vol Man

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carvers Gap, thanks for the great information as this storm unfolded! Of course, it's not over for us here in upper east counties. I'm currently getting moderate snow here near the south fork of the Holston, south of Bristol. Is it still snowing in the gap? I might have a shot at 10 inches total if this band can keep cranking. A nice finale. :snowing:

Carvers Gap, thanks for the great information as this storm unfolded! Of course, it's not over for us here in upper east counties. I'm currently getting moderate snow here near the south fork of the Holston, south of Bristol. Is it still snowing in the gap? I might have a shot at 10 inches total if this band can keep cranking. A nice finale. :snowing:

No sweat! The board did a great job of tracking the storm. What was your final total? Fish the SOHO all the time off Hickory Tree.

Anyone want to take a crack at Friday night's system?

Carver, Channel 11 mentioned tomorrow night on it's noon broadcast...said a little accumulation is possible for TRI and that this little system is starting to model a little more robust than originally thought...even said mountains could pick up 3-5, which really surprised me, because as late as Tuesday morning, that's about what they were saying for the mountains with the system we just experienced. 

Bastardi also mentioned in a tweet that there might be a little surprise with this one.

Seems they have lowered Saturday's high...11 said mid 30s, I haven't looked on MRX today.

I was surprised to see that at 5.9 inches this was officially the largest snow in Knoxville since 1996. I think you guys should petition the NWS to move the reporting station away from the airport and put it on the UT AG campus or something. 

It's no wonder that the average snow in Knoxville fell to 5.5 inches per year. I have to believe it's something to do with the head island effect and that it's in the SE part of the county. I have had more 10 inch + snows in the 2000s than TYS has had 5 inch snows in the same time span. It didn't used to be quite so far apart. 

I was surprised to see that at 5.9 inches this was officially the largest snow in Knoxville since 1996. I think you guys should petition the NWS to move the reporting station away from the airport and put it on the UT AG campus or something. 

It's no wonder that the average snow in Knoxville fell to 5.5 inches per year. I have to believe it's something to do with the head island effect and that it's in the SE part of the county. I have had more 10 inch + snows in the 2000s than TYS has had 5 inch snows in the same time span. It didn't used to be quite so far apart. 

I cant imagine much of the UHI out at TYS....seems far enough out not to cause to much of an issue. Downtown Chatt was perfect example of UHI effect...there were 3 inches max in spots but that was it even though it snow just as hard there as the 9" in East Brainerd.

LOL...I saw it but have not gotten hyped up over it...between this one and the board meeting this week I am SPENT...Looks like the misery we endured earlier this winter....unless you are in the mountains....

That is exactly what I thought...until I looked at how it behaved on the NAM and RGEM.  It basically dove way down south once past us, digs, and popped a 993 coastal(edit) low on one of the models.  Too tired to remember which model.  Crazy.  Anyway, RGEM does show cold chasing rain...but powerful little deal.  If it comes in at night...Anyway, I was intending to ignore it.  Now, I am not sure.

Stove and Reb...We need to pull out the "Dr. Yes" photo in the future for a little mojo.  Classic.  You all are becoming my favorite storm chasers.

Haha, I wish i had more time to do stuff like that.

Tapa-Talk is back!!  Whooo Hooo!!  They must have disabled the server plug-in during the high traffic.  I'm probably not alone when I say I'm nearly lost without it. 

I will say this, I hope to goodness the next storm we track will be a true southern storm, hitting no one north of southern VA.  This board was an absolute MESS for the last couple of days leading up to and even during the event.  Numerous outages, lack of tapatalk and the model suite most of the time. I am sure there were other features that I don't use that were probably on the "blink" too.  It was extremely frustrating.  I hope to goodness they put their 10,000 to good use in improving speed, but MOSTLY performance.

Stove, saw that...!  For February I will stick w/ my thinking of +2.5 F and above normal snowfall.  Looks like both will work out...But as for the -PNA and +NAO...the only reason I bucked the trend w/ that prediction(more snow) was the fact we had an active southern jet and cold over eastern Canada.  Normally, and I have said this before, I would say pack it in...but the cold in eastern Canada is saving our tails right now.  The +PNA delivered normal snowfall here in Kingsport along w/ the sixth coldest January on record.  So, I am not complaining about either - I'll take that all day long because I hate warm in the heart of winter.  If there was no cold over Canada w/ a -PNA and +NAO, we would be looking at a record warm Feb. without it.  But, it does go to show that it can snow in a warm(-er...than January) pattern. 

Went to Carvers Gap today...pics today or tomorrow.  Interestingly, other than the 3' snow drifts, they didn't have a ton more than the valley.  That could change tonight.  Enjoyed your footage from Towsend.  Have fished almost every inch of Little river...Elkmont and Treemont.  Very excited to see them restoring those cottages in Elkmont.

Carvers, I think that was only the 2nd hockey game I've ever watched from start to finish. One of the NBC stations is replaying it right now and they replay hockey games during off hours so maybe it'll get played again. I'll post the time if I see it.

John, that last play didn't work so well. The biggest thing was, Missouri was in bad foul trouble inside and they passed to Stokes once in the last 17 minutes of the game when he was in the post and not up above/at the FT line. And I think he was 6/7 or around there.

Edit: NBC's TV schedule says it replays at 4:30 tomorrow.

Archived