• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA and The Fringes - February 2014

PennMan

I knew once you fully switched over, you would get thumped. You and 83 Blizzard are in the mega weenie band right now. I'm still ripping an 1"/hr up here. Very pleased

approaching 3" when I just measured. dumping snow. the band doesn't seem to be going anywhere

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you measuring every 30min? lol.  No time for compaction.  Also decks inflate snowfall accum.  You get a "staduim effect" as NWS calls it with snow hitting off the side of house increasing amounts plus whatever comes off the roof.  Maybe this is your only location to measure.   

Driveway away from the house too.  I will do multiple measurements when it stops for accuracy sake.  It is a solid 6 at least.  Pouring snow.

We've actually got probably almost 2" here so far (estimation looking out my window :P ). However, I'm sure there's a sharp cutoff (per radar) just north of Centre County.

And I was trying to figure out that car pic, too. I think the guard rail must end not far beyond the truck, so it probably slid off the road before the guard rail and then rode it up.

That's just embarrassing, that driver should have their Subaru license revoked.

I have to look at that next time I go past there because we were trying to figure that one out here at the office. 

I agree on the earlier comments, the radar looks strange. 

yup.  that was for the pictures sake it tilted when I moved to take the shot so it looks higher.  6 is what it was when I kept it aligned.  It is just piling up insanely though. 

hey, seriously... probably best to stop posting in the MA forum. if enough people b**ch about it, randy or ian may do something

Okay, been snowing heavily here for the past 30 minutes.  Just measured 3.1" on the board and have cleared it off (it's been 6 hours since the start of accumulations).  Just heard the turnpike is closed here at the Carlisle exit (Middlesex) and westbound to the Newburg/997 exit.

Temp holding at 32.2 degrees and pressure is steady to slowly rising actually.

Did anyone look at the 6z text from the GFS for Wednesday storm?  Was just reviewing it and it appears to give KXCY close to 5" of all snow, then a changeover to some freezing rain, with about 0.4" of ZR, then change to rain at very end with surface of 33.  I can't see the other layers however...just 500, 850, and 925 and the surface which are all zero or below.

Any met opinions??

hey, seriously... probably best to stop posting in the MA forum. if enough people b**ch about it, randy or ian may do something

I'm not posting in there unless one of these three things happen:

1) They are getting hit hard as well

2) I'm home giving an observation instead of in Pa

3) Reporting a road condition

That's about it. I like Ian and Randy because they know it's weather and you can't control what it does, but some people do get way too hurt about it. If you live in DC, you should never expect snow. Ian mentions that all the time. If you are in Baltimore, that's different. I know my city does work out a bit more favorable for snow especially away from beltway. It can be so frustrating at times. There are a lot of guys I like on that board, but some get on my last nerve. Bob Chill, HM when he pops in, Ian for his analysis and humor, Randy for the same as Ian, Ravensrule for his humor, Phineas for his humor, and I could go on, these guys are my favs. I like this board because there are no complainers and if anyone has a right to complain, these guys do over the last 5 years in a snow type area watching bombs to the south, east and North of them. They will cash in this week and I will enjoy watching them post about it. 

Back to the weather, it's still coming down great here. I see 6-8" final totals easy. Enjoy your snow Mapgirl

Archived