joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monday Mauler or Monday Bawler? part II

DDweatherman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think upping precip totals is the biggest trend. All guidance is a close call on temps. I may be far enough nw but I'm still close as heck to pain. With that said, I can totally live with heavy wet snow and 34-35*. That seems worst case for me as of right now. A bit anxious for the gfs. Nam bounces around too much outside of 48 to feel confident with any solution when riding the line.

Same here. The increase in QPF is pretty astonishing, and if we can get those rates, those of us a little north and west of the cities and with just a little elevation may do OK. I hope the city folk do well, but we're all walking a fine line.

Yes, let's all check off a period of heavy snow from the list. I did well on 1/21 but it was pulsing. This has downpour potential. I'm in.

Gonna be some heavy thermo staring all evening and night tomorrow.

This isn't as cold of air mass coming as that one was.  I too did well but this one i think is trickier than that one. 

Feel bad for the local DC mets on this one.    "It might be a lot of snow. Or some snow.  Or some snow and some rain.  Or a wintery mix.  Or just a lot of rain." 

Question for those far wiser than I: Do we need to consider the fact that each of the last two meaningful snow events had featured across-the-board modelling which was significantly off the mark (to the low side)?  My gut reaction when I see models spitting out 31s and 32s for DC is to assume those are going to end up being 35s and 36s.  But I have no scientific basis for that.

This isn't as cold of air mass coming as that one was. I too did well but this one i think is trickier than that one.

I'm nervous for sure but totally digging the trends towards a mini-precip bomb now. As long as the heaviest period falls as snow I can deal with melting potatoes on contact. My post my mostly about the possibility of a few hours of low vis heavy snow. Stickage is a whole different discussion.

Feel bad for the local DC mets on this one. "It might be a lot of snow. Or some snow. Or some snow and some rain. Or a wintery mix. Or just a lot of rain."

Question for those far wiser than I: Do we need to consider the fact that each of the last two meaningful snow events had featured across-the-board modelling which was significantly off the mark (to the low side)? My gut reaction when I see models spitting out 31s and 32s for DC is to assume those are going to end up being 35s and 36s. But I have no scientific basis for that.

Again, they need to forecast like they do in Alaska.

Chance of rain and snow. Highs 30-45. Chance of precip 60%. Snow accumulations 1-12 inches.

That forecast would probably nail Monday.

Feel bad for the local DC mets on this one.    "It might be a lot of snow. Or some snow.  Or some snow and some rain.  Or a wintery mix.  Or just a lot of rain." 

Question for those far wiser than I: Do we need to consider the fact that each of the last two meaningful snow events had featured across-the-board modelling which was significantly off the mark (to the low side)?  My gut reaction when I see models spitting out 31s and 32s for DC is to assume those are going to end up being 35s and 36s.  But I have no scientific basis for that.

Every weather system is different so no, its not wise to assume that...At this time, the main factor is dynamical cooling..DC will almsot undoubtly be upper 30s in the dawn hr time period BUT the heavy rates could make it 32 by 10am.

Fwiw, 1/2 was colder than modeled. Precip was supposed to start at rain but instead was all snow.

hmm, just checked soundings at READY and it does NOT have the warm layer at 48 hrs at 800 mb like that other link

I wonder

1013.    51.    0.3    0.1    22.2     4.2 1000.   156.   -0.3   -0.4    29.6     7.1  975.   358.   -1.7   -1.9    40.6    10.3  950.   565.   -1.9   -2.2    46.0    10.0  925.   777.   -1.8   -2.0    45.5     7.1  900.   995.   -1.5   -1.6    36.7     6.3  875.  1219.   -0.9   -1.0    18.8     4.8  850.  1451.   -0.8   -0.9     9.0     1.6  825.  1690.   -0.3   -0.3   203.9     4.8  800.  1936.   -0.5   -0.4   220.8     8.7  775.  2190.   -0.8   -0.8   229.6    13.0  750.  2452.   -0.9   -0.9   230.8    17.3  725.  2723.   -1.1   -1.2   232.3    19.7  700.  3003.   -1.7   -1.8   237.0    21.1

Archived