Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter

POWERSTROKE

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This guy's a met?!?! smh

If the CAD is strong enough it wont matter that Atlanta starts off at 38 or 39 degrees. Cold air advection would do the trick. I remember well in 1987 waking up to rain and 38 or so and a forecast for more rain and a steady temp. Well by around 3 that afternoon we had a temp of 24 with around 2 inches of sleet.

Anybody from Upstate SC missing the met. Andy Wood from Fox Carolina? He would have been all over this! His blogs and comments were so much fun. Where did he go? BOOM!

I guarantee he would have dropped a boom goes the dynamite either tonight or tomorrow !! He moved back to TN a few months back. The local I like the best is mike justice, I think? The weekend guy on wyff. You can tell he's a snow weenie. I watched him at 6 and will again at 11. He already had me in medium impact area 3 days out, that's unheard of

Anybody from Upstate SC missing the met. Andy Wood from Fox Carolina? He would have been all over this! His blogs and comments were so much fun. Where did he go? BOOM! 

Chris Justus from WYFF is doing a good job with this storm.  Check out his Facebook and his Youtube.  He did grow up in the area, so I put a lot of stock in what he says.

If the CAD is strong enough it wont matter that Atlanta starts off at 38 or 39 degrees. Cold air advection would do the trick. I remember well in 1987 waking up to rain and 38 or so and a forecast for more rain and a steady temp. Well by around 3 that afternoon we had a temp of 24 with around 2 inches of sleet.

Exactly. A New Yorker has no clue how a CAD event sets up and works in these parts. Also taking a shot at ATL at the end of the post was bush league.

Nobody's every "doing a good job" with a storm until the day after the storm.

Fair enough.  But at least he's been following the obs and the guidance and keeping his viewers up to date on the possibilities as opposed to just reading whatever AccuWeather gives him like some other TV weather folks do.

Check out wyff.com , and watch Chris Justus video, and check out the in house model run in his video! If you live in the upstate, it will make you smile

Yea that is pretty cool..........a sharp gradient in snow  accumulations until you hit the NC state line.

Just because it was such a great dream run on the 18z nam, I checked the cobb bufkit data:

Winston-Salem: 14.5"

Greensboro: 14.7"

Charlotte: 9.6"

Hickory: 12.8"

Raleigh: 12.7"

Asheville: 15.3"

Here's a link if you want to check another site:

http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/cobb/cobb.php?model=namm&site=krdu

A triad special would be awesome if I got thumped as well.  I feel like the Triad hasn't had a "big" one (1'+) in a long time.

A triad special would be awesome if I got thumped as well.  I feel like the Triad hasn't had a "big" one (1'+) in a long time.

January 2000 and January 2002 were quite close (10-12" and 12"+ for some areas in January 2000).  I think you have to go back to 1987 to get the last 12"+ event at the airport.  Of course, areas in the southern Triad got 12"+ in February 2004, as well, but the airport only got 6" or 7", IIRC.

The 18z NAM is a total NC special,  pretty much everywhere except extreme eastern regions get hammered.  More NAMing incoming in a few mins :axe:

We'll never get another TV met like Charlie Gertz  in the GSP/AVL area though. None of the mets now are even close to being that good. 

Charlie was not afraid to call it. He was probably the last one we could depend on in this area! I wish I had saved my "Charlie said it would" umbrella!

I think you've been disqualified from any further input. 

How's that drought coming along by the way? And I guess you've noticed that - yet again - the storm came back despite your confident (and wrong) projections.

I guarantee he would have dropped a boom goes the dynamite either tonight or tomorrow !! He moved back to TN a few months back. The local I like the best is mike justice, I think? The weekend guy on wyff. You can tell he's a snow weenie. I watched him at 6 and will again at 11. He already had me in medium impact area 3 days out, that's unheard of

Andy is hesitant for the upstate to be anything other than...

Chris Justus from WYFF is doing a good job with this storm.  Check out his Facebook and his Youtube.  He did grow up in the area, so I put a lot of stock in what he says.

...what Chris Justus has said about it. In fact, Andy thinks Chris has about as good a grasp on it with the available information.

Get the wings!! I love their wings!

Yeah, thy are great. They don't have the sauce but the dry rub, and it is very tasty.

Now, as far as the upcoming winter storm, I don't think there is any doubt the trends today have been very good. In fact, the Euro ensembles are even better and the GFS is coming around. It looks like all the models are coming on board with a pretty big event. And then thereis the NAM, the glorious NAM. I thi k a mix of all the models and trends would give a big winter storm for NC.

You know it's almost too much to bare having the models run every 6 hours. Especially when your in the (general) sweet spot and really all it can do is get worse.

LOL, right now I consider the CLT to FAY the sweetspot, per the Euro/GEFS.  Hopefully the overrunning precip doesn't shift south.

Archived