• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter

POWERSTROKE

Watch Matthew East's video.  He breaks down the GFS, Euro and Canadian runs from last night.

Watch Matthew East's video.  He breaks down the GFS, Euro and Canadian runs from last night.

Did he bring up how the Euro missed the phase and the 0z GFS was almost a whiff?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NW trend.

A.] It's always there. B.] If it IS as organized and tilts around GA as "king" Euro depicts, would it not also begin to pivot N anyway?

Yeah, that's my feeling too. Also.....Is this storm ever going to move inside of 6-7 days? It seems like it's been stuck at the 144-168 hour mark for 3 days now.

Well, to say the euro bothers me a bit would be an understatement.  EURO would hammer us here in mid ga with nearly 1" QPF of ZR.  Now, is this ultimately going to right, IDK, but that wedge looks pretty dang strong.  850's are even pretty cold as well, which tells me the depth of the cold will be more than suffice.  This IS in the euro's wheelhouse right now.  I would suspect, if the euro keeps this general solution, its all systems go and the GFS will eventually come back around in a day or 2.  

This is one time that I hope we're too far south for any freezing precip.  33 degrees and rain would normally leave me disappointed...not this time!  1" of ZR would be a potential disaster for this area.  I've been in middle GA since 1998 and I can only recall a minor icing event back in the mid-2000's.  It will be interesting to see the trends as we draw closer to the event.  I'm rooting for a cold rain for me and for Tony to get a half-foot of sleet!

Did he bring up how the Euro missed the phase and the 0z GFS was almost a whiff?

I don't remember to be honest.  My impression is that he thinks the GFS has been waffling a bit more than the other models due and shouldn't be entirely trusted. He cuts the video right as the 6z gfs comes out so he shows the differences between it and the 0z. It's a good video presentation.  

I don't remember to be honest.  My impression is that he thinks the GFS has been waffling a bit more than the other models due and shouldn't be entirely trusted. He cuts the video right as the 6z gfs comes out so he shows the differences between it and the 0z. It's a good video presentation.  

Yep...all hail the EURO. :weight_lift: Like a boss.

I have some training today from 10:30 to 12:30. Why they schedule this during lunch time is beyond me. But it's also during the next GFS run. They told us to turn off our phones for the training. Yeah, right! I need to follow the GFS play-by-play!

Is it "how to read a weather model" training? :)

Bigger risk: NW trend or storm vanish?

I think Matthew East stated it well in his video, the biggest risk is the storm doesn't ramp up and it just peters out.  Flat, fast flow, instead of slowing down and making a nice storm.  The lack of any ridging in the west does worry me.  You'd think the storm would just scoot by to our south.  

On the other hand, I like hearing Robert say that the baffin ridge teleconnects to a SE Low many times....so there's that. 

I won't buy into this thing until tomorrow and the EURO, GEFS, and ENS are still on board.  But I'm a weenie and seeing the models right now sure does look good... :pepsi:

I think Matthew East stated it well in his video, the biggest risk is the storm doesn't ramp up and it just peters out.  Flat, fast flow, instead of slowing down and making a nice storm.  The lack of any ridging in the west does worry me.  You'd think the storm would just scoot by to our south.  

On the other hand, I like hearing Robert say that the baffin ridge teleconnects to a SE Low many times....so there's that. 

I won't buy into this thing until tomorrow and the EURO, GEFS, and ENS are still on board.  But I'm a weenie and seeing the models right now sure does look good... :pepsi:

Well, the last one kinda peetered out, so that's a legit concern.  I'll be onboard Monday, if it's still there. :)

Well, the last one kinda peetered out, so that's a legit concern.  I'll be onboard Monday, if it's still there. :)

Yep, this weekends fail is certainly in the back of my mind.  However there seems like so much more agreement in the modeling for an even longer time.  Plus the NWS depts are picking it up and putting it in their forecasts. 

Off topic, I wonder why there's the pepsi logo on the drinking emoticon.  I would prefer coke.....or Sam Adams. 

Yep, this weekends fail is certainly in the back of my mind.  However there seems like so much more agreement in the modeling for an even longer time.  Plus the NWS depts are picking it up and putting it in their forecasts. 

Off topic, I wonder why there's the pepsi logo on the drinking emoticon.  I would prefer coke.....or Sam Adams. 

Because pepsi is better than coke  :P 

As far as Euro vs GFS, they both have problems. The Euro is more consistent from run to run. It may be wrong with fantasy storms in the long range, but the run to run is still more consistent. The GFS might not show the fantasy storms as much in the long range, but it sometimes has wild swings from run to run (maybe because it runs 4 times a day instead of 2), and it is not as consistent.

How can you say this when you have never looked at the model ever?

Archived