SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Banter

POWERSTROKE

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only model I ever go with now is the GFS after that mess last week. Clearly it was on to something when it was forecasting 33 and rain most of the event while all the other models were wild and exciting. It also does great with temps down here because you all said TWC uses the GFS and there temperature forecast are really accurate.

Unbelievable, SE NC gets another 1-2" event last night. Trying to figure out how they jackpot again next week. 1-2" for central NC is like a miracle but PGV gets them when they yawn.

The strange thing about it .... the same locations will probably hit it again tonight aswell.

What a screwed up year this has been.

It is king compared to the GFS mid range. The GFS has been pure crap in this time frame all winter imo. The Euro has it's sins & is far from perfect, but it is worlds ahead of the GFS (aka waffle model king) for mby. But to each his own!.

Both models have been crap all season, but I will throw a bone to the Euro on its somewhat "consistency"  with next week's event.  The GFS is ying and yang every six hours.

Like someone said, the GFS should only have two runs a day.

Listen to the Ryan Maue video. You'll find out the Euro is certainly the king in the medium range as that's all they focus on. 

I am enjoying the video.  At around the 8-10 minute mark they start talking about the Euro and then Ryan goes into how he started running his model extraction and the computing power.  Good stuff!  Just skip the first few minutes that discusses the ineptitude of social media.

Listen to the Ryan Maue video. You'll find out the Euro is certainly the king in the medium range as that's all they focus on. 

Both models have been crap all season, but I will throw a bone to the Euro on its somewhat "consistency"  with next week's event.  The GFS is ying and yang every six hours.

Like someone said, the GFS should only have two runs a day.

At the end of the day, nothing will change the minds on either side. Ryan and several others have their views, just as Robert and several others have different ones.

Over the last 3 years, and I'm speaking on every season - not just winter - the Euro has not been spectacular in most cases.

If we are just talking mid-range, maybe I can concede a little. But even then, it's isn't "by a long shot".

As far as Euro vs GFS, they both have problems. The Euro is more consistent from run to run. It may be wrong with fantasy storms in the long range, but the run to run is still more consistent. The GFS might not show the fantasy storms as much in the long range, but it sometimes has wild swings from run to run (maybe because it runs 4 times a day instead of 2), and it is not as consistent.

As far as Euro vs GFS, they both have problems. The Euro is more consistent from run to run. It may be wrong with fantasy storms in the long range, but the run to run is still more consistent. The GFS might not show the fantasy storms as much in the long range, but it sometimes has wild swings from run to run (maybe because it runs 4 times a day instead of 2), and it is not as consistent.

Bigger risk: NW trend or storm vanish?

Archived