Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter

POWERSTROKE

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coming out of lurking for over 4 years. I thoroughly enjoy these forums and all of the information. You guys are great! I am just a weenie and not well-versed in interpreting the maps and models, so I thank you all! Most of my posts will more than likely be limited to this banter thread, but "HEY Y'ALL!" :)

Hoping for an exciting week ahead.

Coming out of lurking for over 4 years. I thoroughly enjoy these forums and all of the information. You guys are great! I am just a weenie and not well-versed in interpreting the maps and models, so I thank you all! Most of my posts will more than likely be limited to this banter thread, but "HEY Y'ALL!" :)

Welcome Kimmie     :sun:

Four years!  Congrats on your Bachelor of Lurking degree.

Welcome Kimmie.

Your area, as shown during the current model runs, might be ground zero...

Post often!

GSP snow map???? Do they have a crystal ball that we haven't seen yet. I would think after seeing all of the other models for the last 24 hrs, we should be seeing way more than 0.9 inches of snow.

Just like last time , they will be inching those totals constantly! Every hour they went up a few tenths when they came out and we were at best going to get 3 inches. They started out showing .9 inches in the morning, their last map was around 2.3 . They might be looking at the GFS!? Lol

They never get it right around here. The only way I ever know what's coming is by reading these forums and checking wxsouth's and Matthew East's weather page. Our local guys are worthless when it comes to Winter. THis seems to be shaping up very well. Someone referenced the Jan 88 storm earlier. I was fresh out of the Navy and working in a carpet factory near Travelers Rest. We stood on the roof waiting for the snow to start. It was around 4-5 am when it started here and the tail end of the snow was still in Texas according to some guys talking on Short Wave Radio. I measured 14" on Roper Mt. when it was all said and done. Charlie Gertz on channel 4 actually called that one.That was a memory for sure.

Welcome aboard! Hopefully, we'll all get some snow. :)

Well, I'm still having trouble believing that it's possible to track a winter storm continuously modeled for our area from 8-10 days out. Could that really be happening?

It's happened before. Run after run shows great stuff and then last minute north shift, or south shift, and we get screwed. How about March 2009? March 2010? Or, for me, February 26, 2004.

It's happened before. Run after run shows great stuff and then last minute north shift, or south shift, and we get screwed. How about March 2009? March 2010? Or, for me, February 26, 2004.

No, I meant track it continuously and then it actually panned out. I don't recall a time when that's ever been the case. I hope this one is the first....at least that I've experienced.

No, I meant track it continuously and then it actually panned out. I don't recall a time when that's ever been the case. I hope this one is the first....at least that I've experienced.

I don't either, I will say the last one I remember for this area was Jan 2002, I remember reading about that storm potential days out. Also, all the MA big storms of 2010 were modeled far out, but they have great blocking and not as fast a flow. We have so much energy floating around that I won't be all in until after tomorrow's 12z's.

Yes, January 2002 was probably the last that happened. Maybe the January 25th, 2004 CAD event as well.

I am with you, I am trying to decide how this misses us, but I guess we are probably to far north for the first wave and to warm for the 2nd. I think we are 1-2" with a cold rain after that, CLT/HKY/AVL get 6-10", then the MA gets 8-12", almost like a Jan 2011 miss. That would be funny.

They never get it right around here. The only way I ever know what's coming is by reading these forums and checking wxsouth's and Matthew East's weather page. Our local guys are worthless when it comes to Winter. THis seems to be shaping up very well. Someone referenced the Jan 88 storm earlier. I was fresh out of the Navy and working in a carpet factory near Travelers Rest. We stood on the roof waiting for the snow to start. It was around 4-5 am when it started here and the tail end of the snow was still in Texas according to some guys talking on Short Wave Radio. I measured 14" on Roper Mt. when it was all said and done. Charlie Gertz on channel 4 actually called that one.That was a memory for sure.

Charlie was a solid meteorologist.  He used to love forecasting snow, and he had some good storms to forecast in his years at WYFF.  "Charlie said it would!"

I don't either, I will say the last one I remember for this area was Jan 2002, I remember reading about that storm potential days out. Also, all the MA big storms of 2010 were modeled far out, but they have great blocking and not as fast a flow. We have so much energy floating around that I won't be all in until after tomorrow's 12z's.

Yes, January 2002 was probably the last that happened. Maybe the January 25th, 2004 CAD event as well.

I remember the 2002 storm well, but I wasn't tracking these things too closely then. I do remember hearing about it sooner than most, though.

I'm with you Pack....if we continue to have broad agreement after the 12Zs tomorrow, I'm all in too. No more skeptisizm.

Here is my take for metro atlanta. I haven't felt good about this storm for us yet. The setup screams significant winter event for the area but for some reason the models don't translate like I think they should in the end. This also has a sneaky feel to it for my area as well. I would hate to be a forecaster at FFC after how badly the city did during snowjam, I think FFC did great but fact is they will be looked at carefully by lots of people if Atlanta does get hit.

So shocked the usual pessimists are pessimistic with this. There is a huge amount of evidence pointing to this being a big winter event for NC.

That's what we thought [1-28] when the models were showing 4-6 for RDU, 6-10 for FAY...what did RDU end up with 1.5? Fay at 4? Fool me once...

Archived