• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter '13/'14 Banter/Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

This post is more banter than complaint lol. Even though most people are beyond sick of snow, for some reason, the last few weeks everyone is asking me questions. Its getting to the point where even I am getting tired of talking about it at times lmaosmiley.gif Leave it to my mom to give me the best food for thought. She was just talking about how crazy its been this winter from start to finish. And she brought up a very good point. She said some winters you have that defining moment. This winter the whole winter has been that moment. In any other year, our polar vortex with -50F wind chills from early January would have been the moment everyone remembers, similar to how everyone remembers the blizzard of '78 (forgetting the rest of that winter after the storm was frigid but with very little snow). But by now its like a footnote because so much has happened since. I then told her how I worried next winter was going to really suck, and I couldnt get the record warm, snowless winter of 1881-82 out of my head. Not to mention I have heard for years from my dad how it was 60+ degrees on Christmas '82 and the winter was so warm after the brutal 1981-82 winter. So those two examples of paying dearly the following winter after a doozy stick out, especially after 1880-81 is under the spotlight these days. She said...everyone says we will never see a winter like this. But wouldnt it be something if next year comes and we have ANOTHER one just like THIS!!! Go Mom!!!!

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This post is more banter than complaint lol. Even though most people are beyond sick of snow, for some reason, the last few weeks everyone is asking me questions. Its getting to the point where even I am getting tired of talking about it at times lmaosmiley.gif Leave it to my mom to give me the best food for thought. She was just talking about how crazy its been this winter from start to finish. And she brought up a very good point. She said some winters you have that defining moment. This winter the whole winter has been that moment. In any other year, our polar vortex with -50F wind chills from early January would have been the moment everyone remembers, similar to how everyone remembers the blizzard of '78 (forgetting the rest of that winter after the storm was frigid but with very little snow). But by now its like a footnote because so much has happened since. I then told her how I worried next winter was going to really suck, and I couldnt get the record warm, snowless winter of 1881-82 out of my head. Not to mention I have heard for years from my dad how it was 60+ degrees on Christmas '82 and the winter was so warm after the brutal 1981-82 winter. So those two examples of paying dearly the following winter after a doozy stick out, especially after 1880-81 is under the spotlight these days. She said...everyone says we will never see a winter like this. But wouldnt it be something if next year comes and we have ANOTHER one just like THIS!!! Go Mom!!!!

Several of us at work were just talking about the record snowfall.  While people are tired of winter they all now want to break that DTW record.   I find it kind of funny that even the snow haters now want more snow to break the DTW record!!  :lmao:

The hard part even a normal winter (or above normal) will be tough for us on this board.  Your mom is right about most winters having there defining moments.  Next winter will likely do just that.   Heck the signals are with the pending el nino that next winter could be decent.  We just have to not try to compare anything we get to 13/14 winter.

I also said (for fun) that if we do have another winter that competes with this 13/14 winter the words "Pending Ice Age" will be heard... :pimp:

Several of us at work were just talking about the record snowfall.  While people are tired of winter they all now want to break that DTW record.   I find it kind of funny that even the snow haters now want more snow to break the DTW record!!  :lmao:

The hard part even a normal winter (or above normal) will be tough for us on this board.  Your mom is right about most winters having there defining moments.  Next winter will likely do just that.   Heck the signals are with the pending el nino that next winter could be decent.  We just have to not try to compare anything we get to 13/14 winter.

I also said (for fun) that if we do have another winter that competes with this 13/14 winter the words "Pending Ice Age" will be heard... :pimp:

Yes I know tons of snow haters who want the record lol.

I will temper my expectations next winter...and will be ok with a normal winter. Im just talking I hope we dont have like a ridiculously terrible winter like the above mentioned 1881-82 :lol:. One thing going in our favor is the snowy regime of late...it just wants to snow no matter what. 2011-12 was the worst possible winter imaginable for snow opportunities and we still managed 26". I mean, yeah it was terrible, but we probably should have had 10" lol. then of course the rest of the time from 2007 to now speaks for itself. El Nino alone doesnt forecast a winter, but generally speaking a strong el nino means a mild and dry winter is likely (not without its storms of course) and a weak el nino is cold/snowy.

lolé I wander outside to air the dog here on the South Side, home of God's greatest baseball team the 2005 World Champions, the Chicago White Sox and for a few minutes we had ~1000m visibility in a light to moderate snow against all my range markers and meanwhile, a clear view of a near full moon overhead. This winter rules.

Today is the first day that it hit me that we don't have many snow chances left.

And as you say that, there is a chance for a few snow showers late Wednesday afternoon and someone in the area could see some snow next Monday with a clipper. Clippers in late March. What the heck?

Some people I have talked to and just now on the news, say that the song bird population isn't where it should be right now. I think there might be a few less right now, but not a big decrease. Anyone else notice fewer birds for this time of year?

Well it's not like crazy green but the colors have changed drastically.. I know it sounds funny but i'm being honest lol

I mean obviously there are spots that have pale green in them...but the snow JUST melted after a brutal winter. The frost is very deep, the ground has been covered in snow for over 3 months....one day of 50F wont turn it green lol. You may be confusing the dark colors of snow mold for green grass :lmao:

So next week is going to be bitter cold by late March standards with little chance of any measurable snow while the East Coast gets a storm. As Alek would say, worst climo.

30s are good for nothing in late March. EURO warming it up later in the week though.

So next week is going to be bitter cold by late March standards with little chance of any measurable snow while the East Coast gets a storm. As Alek would say, worst climo.

I think they may be getting a bit ahead of themselves as far as that east coast storm threat goes. JMHO

Yeah maybe it will be something significant for the Canadian Maritimes but probably not along the coast.

Hard to say but the door is wide for this one.. All about timing and how far south that PV comes.. Last time models showed the kind of bomb the euro has been hinting at this far out it ended up nailing us vs them and thus see Jan5th which like this was modeled to be a big east coast bomb. NOT saying the same thing happens with this. Just saying i would not get too worked up this far out if i were there or anywhere else for that matter.

Hard to say but the door is wide for this one.. All about timing and how far south that PV comes.. Last time models showed the kind of bomb the euro has been hinting at this far out it ended up nailing us vs them and thus see Jan5th which like this was modeled to be a big east coast bomb. NOT saying the same thing happens with this. Just saying i would not get too worked up this far out if i were there or anywhere else for that matter.

Well, I'll just be passively watching, because there's nothing else to watch except maybe more cold records for the subforum.

This is Severe Weather Awareness Week in Indiana, so I've been super busy training spotters, programming radios for the public, coordinating siren tests, assisting with emergency plans, etc.  Something to do to pass the time until we see some real spring action.

While the Euro and GFS seem to be hinting at a warm up, there remains no 70 degree day forecast for the next 16.  I'm not sure I can remember getting into April and never having seen 70 degrees.  It probably has happened but not recently. 

Your memory is getting worse. ;) It happened last year...no 70º+ temps entering April.

Using IND (since 1943), here's the years that had zero 70º+ temps before April (Jan-Feb-Mar):

1947, 1955, 1958, 1965, 1970, 1980, 1984, 2001, 2008, and 2013

1943-2013 average for IND is 3.0 days for JFM. 

Archived