• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
SE Snow Totals Since 2009/2010

packbacker

I am interested to know if this is really unusual for RDU. What I mean is, the deficit could easily be made up in two big ticket events over the next two years. I have always assumed that Raleigh's yearly average is boosted by such events that occur say every 5-10 years, on average. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's the way I've always seen it.

I sure like that Red in Avery County.

Home sweet home!

RYcFlXH.jpg

cSjrlMR.jpg

Must be nice!  :snowing: 

GSP has had only 17.8 inches over the 5 year period - much less than the 32.5 average you indicated. And that is counting 2 inches from last year that almost nobody else around got. 09/10, 10/11 were certainly not epic outside of the mountains, here in the upstate they were just a little over average, as we were on the edge of several big snows. The last 3 years have been really pitiful in the snow department, one of the worst 3 year spans since the upstate has been keeping records. Oh how I long for the snows of the 80's  :cry:  :snowing: 

Heck, CAE has had 15.8 in the same time frame, well above their average and nearly as much as us. From a statistical standpoint, the piedmont sections are really due. 

2009-2010 was honestly a north-and-west-of-I85 winter. It seemed like the Triad was right on the edge with every storm. It was a decent winter elsewhere, but it was the best winter in over a decade here.

09-10 (5.3") was the best KATL winter since 1982-3 in terms of # of inches of S/IP (and was exceeded by 10-11). However, on much of the northside, 92-93 probably exceeded 09-10 due to the blizzard. Also, going by # of inches is deceiving when considering the density of IP. There was 4.2" of mainly IP in 87-88. That is equivalent to ~8" of S being that there was 0.82" of liquid.

09-10 (5.3") was the best KATL winter since 1982-3 in terms of # of inches of S/IP (and was exceeded by 10-11). However, on much of the northside, 92-93 probably exceeded 09-10 due to the blizzard. Also, going by # of inches is deceiving when considering the density of IP. There was 4.2" of mainly IP in 87-88. That is equivalent to ~8" of S being that there was 0.82" of liquid.

Wow, I had forgotten how well Atlanta did that year. I guess they got in on the February 2010 Deep South Snowstorm?

I was mostly talking about NC. RDU and CLT still finished slightly above average, IIRC, but it wasn't nearly as good. The December 2009 storm was one where the Triad was the dividing line. Also, the Triad and points north and west got a few inches from DC's Snowmageddon before it changed over to 33 and rain for the remainder.

It seems like the recent years have been good for the cities that get less snow on average. Atlanta, Columbia, Greenville (NC), Wilmington, and even the Outer Banks have done well recently while more inland and/or northern areas have not.

Is there a good site that has historical snowfall statistics for various cities?  I've looked for one in the past, but came up empty.

I found this site: http://weather-warehouse.com/WeatherHistory/PastWeatherData_RaleighDurhamIntlArpt_Raleigh_NC_January.html

Based on the data there, which looks correct since 1996 at least, I can't see that we've ever been close to our average, except for 5 year moving averages in the years following 2000. The highest 30 year moving average is 2.98 in 1982 and again in 1983. The data for, e.g., 1980 looks suspect. It has 2.2 inches, but I know we got in the 9-12" range from March 1980 alone.

I found this site: http://weather-warehouse.com/WeatherHistory/PastWeatherData_RaleighDurhamIntlArpt_Raleigh_NC_January.html

Based on the data there, which looks correct since 1996 at least, I can't see that we've ever been close to our average, except for 5 year moving averages in the years following 2000. The highest 30 year moving average is 2.98 in 1982 and again in 1983. The data for, e.g., 1980 looks suspect. It has 2.2 inches, but I know we got in the 9-12" range from March 1980 alone.

Yeah, 2010 is almost certainly wrong, too, as it only shows 5" when the Boxing Day Storm must have dropped 7"+ and there were a couple other light events in December.  That's the problem I often run into with these data sets.  There's often missing data or something to screw it up.

From what I can tell, since 2000 RDU has had above averages winters in 1999-2000, 2001-2002, 2003-2004, 2009-2010, and 2010-2011.  You might be able to throw 2008-2009 in there, too, but there was a pretty sharp cutoff with the Inauguration Day Storm, so I'm not sure if RDU got into the 6" that the city actually got or not.  The main problem is that the below average years are just dreadful  You've got a handful of years with snow totals of <1" and more with <2".  If the past events page is right, one winter RDU might have reported only a trace (2005-2006).

Yeah, 2010 is almost certainly wrong, too, as it only shows 5" when the Boxing Day Storm must have dropped 7"+ and there were a couple other light events in December.  That's the problem I often run into with these data sets.  There's often missing data or something to screw it up.

Maybe I should email RAH and ask them for data so that I can use it to make myself feel bad about the screwjobs we've been getting.

I believe that person has things a tad mixed up.

CAE had nearly 9" (8.6") on February 12-13, 2010.  I'm guessing he or she made a mistake with the March, 2010 totals.  The other totals sound about right.  As, we all know totals can differentiate depending where you reside in the city (I know this synopsis are about totals in the heart of the city). 

Thank you for correcting this.  

So CAE has had roughly 16" in the past five years.

Does anybody have snowfall totals for SC and NC from the January 25th, 2000 storm?

The 1973 storm was a great one as well.

I think it is safe to say at this point, CLT, GSO and HKY are going over 100% avg for the period dating back to 09/10.  ATL will make a run at CAE for 200% but may fall just short.  RDU is still the seller dweller, but gets slight bump, PGV remains virtually unchanged save an inch or two, CAE's total does not take into account ZR unfortunately.  

CAE - 19.2" (9.5")   = 202%

PGV:  31.9"  (20")   = 160%  (Note:  I believe PGV's seasonal average is 4")
ATL -  15.4" (10.5") = 147%
AVL:   109"  (74.5") = 146% (Note:  I used AshevilleDon's #'s)
GSO:  37.8" (46")    = 82%
HKY:   28"    (35")    = 80%
CLT:  19.6"  (29")     = 68%
RDU:  20.9" (38")    = 55% 

• 2 months later...

Thank you for correcting this.

So CAE has had roughly 16" in the past five years.

Does anybody have snowfall totals for SC and NC from the January 25th, 2000 storm?

The 1973 storm was a great one as well.

For KCHS on Jan 25th 2000, 1.0" fell (slushy snow/sleet). The next morning, a s/w disturbance dumped a small swath of snow overnight amounting to 2" at the airport.

February 1973, KCHS received 7.1".

February 12-13th, KCHS received 3.4".

Archived