• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 4-5th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

Southwest corner of PA at 192 hours, on the 12z Euro. Though, again...it looks to have a few different lp centers.

It's not fully consolidated in the frames before that and there's still a large stripe of .5-.75" of 6hr. QPF running from IL into Western OH. If there's a better LP with this open gulf there's going to be some ridiculous precip totals. 

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not fully consolidated in the frames before that and there's still a large stripe of .5-.75" of 6hr. QPF running from IL into Western OH. If there's a better LP with this open gulf there's going to be some ridiculous precip totals. 

That's a pretty good 6 hour total though. 

You can tell this is going to be a "big dog" where ever it goes. When the models got this kind of look long range, you know something big is coming. May outclass the early January storm no matter the geographical location.

I agree about potential.  The model consensus on showing something big is pretty impressive given that's it's a week plus away.

euro really presses in the high pressure ahead of the big dog, as a result all of ohio except for the extreme south eastern edge remains mostly in the 20's thru the whole event.

absolute mess here in central ohio....probably smelling snow during an icestorm.   Love to see those highs keep modeling stronger....or weaker.

Winter loving Geos is back! Happy to see that. First call...18" for the mountain top? :D

If it can track like the GFS and not come out in pieces like Alek said, I should be good for at least a foot! 

Like to see ratios between 10-13:1. Powder is boring now.

Sure you would, Alek.  Don't  worry, Chicago and south is locked into a good shot at this storm, especially if the weekend storm is strong enough (though that's currently showing a weakening trend on the models).

I'm not exactly waivering (see page 1)...we've all read this book before. SW ejecting into an explosive plains baroclinic zone with a wide open gulf (look at those massive southerly waa vectors) and southeast ridge = amped. Not saying i'll get rain or anything, i'm just saying I favor stronger/nw solutions at this point.

Feb 3-4 can take a rest, but Feb 5 looks very much like a widespread 10-15" snowstorm for this forum. And that includes Toronto. A storm in 1863 dropped 18" around the same dates (Feb 5-6) in T.O., so if U.S. members can find any weather records from that winter, might be interesting.

here ya go:

Another good snow, though not nearly so great as that in January, hit Cincinnati and other sections of Ohio on February 5, 1863.  Totals at various Cincinnati locations ranged from 8.3 inches to 14 inches with one person there reporting 9.5 inches of snow from 4:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. that day while temperatures hovered between 30 and 34 degrees all day.  Urbana in ChampaignCounty got 8.25 inches from February 5-6.  College Hill in Cincinnati reported 5 inches more snow on February 22.  Cleveland received 18.6 inches of snow for the entire month of February, 1863 and 14 inches more in March of that year.  Seasonal snowfall for 1862-1863 came to 80.6 inches at Medina and a whopping 103.5 inches at Millersburg in HolmesCounty.

Archived