joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28-1/30 SE Winter Storm OBS

NavarreDon

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charleston still basically shut down. The malls are closed. Fast food restaurants are closed. Starbucks isn't open. The Ravenel Bridge has been closed for over 18 hours. All the school districts in area out for a second day tomorrow.

And this was for a quarter inch of ice in most spots and a small amount of snow and sleet. If it had been 1/2 inch of ice, which was predicted earlier, the town would be shut down for the rest of the week.

Charleston still basically shut down. The malls are closed. Fast food restaurants are closed. Starbucks isn't open. The Ravenel Bridge has been closed for over 18 hours. All the school districts in area out for a second day tomorrow.

And this was for a quarter inch of ice in most spots and a small amount of snow and sleet. If it had been 1/2 inch of ice, which was predicted earlier, the town would be shut down for the rest of the week.

Just drove from West Ashley by 526 to my office on King Street, outside of a half sleet covered Ashley River Bridge, I only experienced wet roads.  There's a couple places open to eat, but mostly everything is shut.

I'm going to head out of my early to avoid black ice issues though.

My sister who is staying at my father's house on Fripp Island (a sea island some 15 miles east of Beaufort, SC) said that she is "iced in."

I was down there earlier this week (my father's had a stroke) and decided (wisely, it turns out) to leave 6 AM yesterday to drive back to DC. Stayed well ahead of the storm all day and I was thinking maybe I could have stayed through yesterday morning and helped her more to get my pop's affairs in order (doubtful he'll be able to go back to living by himself). Evidently I made the right decision.

If it's like that out on Fripp Island then the conditions in Beaufort (and farther inland into the Lowcountry) must be treacherous indeed. (Point-and-click for Fripp itself, when I checked it on Monday night, mentioned "little to no (frozen) accumulation" which was not the case with the P&C for Beaufort.)

If we get the same sun tomorrow as today conditions will be even more dramaticallly improved; to me it depends on where you live and where you're going.  If it's all main roads and traffic cams look good shouldn't be an issue.  Back roads depends on where it is and how much additional melting and drying winds up happening tomorrow.

Thanks. She'd be going from Buckhead to Inman Park after dark tomorrow.

read the snow apocalypse thread.  absolutely positively NO unless atl gets fixed.  it is still gridlock at 130, cars stuck 24 hours

everything here has already closed for tomorrow.  23 no melting snow everywhere.  we dont want to end up like the atl nightmare

NEGa,

Thanks. She wouldn't need to take any highways. I'm wondering if many of  the surface streets are also gridlocked.

Unofficially around 2-3 inches in and around Johnson City, TN. (some higher amounts north and west of the city)  I only posted an OB on topic so I could say this.............

Way to go Larry, excellent recognition from a week out that something was brewing. I know some got less than anticipated, some got more, but your statistical analysis really kicked this time period off nicely.  Congrats and keep up the good work!  The value you bring to the southeast forum is very nice.

Thank you very much, sir!

This series of storms isn't definitely 100% done. The coastal sections need to watch GOM wave #2 (about which I've posted), which will move across S FL tomorrow, and make sure it is going to keep its sig. precip. offshore tonight and tomorrow morning as any precip. would be wintry. It will be very close per the model consensus. Some have it scraping the coast, but local forecasters are sort of downplaying it although they're watching it.

Meanwhile, temp.'s here in Savannah have remained around 31 since around 8 AM! Some bridges have become slick again. Now with nightfall, temp.'s have begun to slowly drop. So, even light precip. could cause an increase in slippery spots. The skies are thickly overcast.

NEGa,

Thanks. She wouldn't need to take any highways. I'm wondering if many of  the surface streets are also gridlocked.

lol sorry i must have misread when she was going - i thought it was today haha.  at some point they have to get the streets back up and running. once all the abandoned cars have been picked up should be ok

Unofficially around 2-3 inches in and around Johnson City, TN. (some higher amounts north and west of the city)  I only posted an OB on topic so I could say this.............

Way to go Larry, excellent recognition from a week out that something was brewing. I know some got less than anticipated, some got more, but your statistical analysis really kicked this time period off nicely.  Congrats and keep up the good work!  The value you bring to the southeast forum is very nice.

+ one on Dr. FeelGood.

You did pretty good up there, for a storm that was going to have less scope.  Funny how things nearly always end up north.  T

CAE put this image on their fb page......just under 4" imby with .30 in sleet/ice   :wub:

attachicon.gif1014398_575404939202777_373637951_n.png

Thank you for posting, this thing appears to be dead on.  I received exactly 2.5"

On a side note, anybody else watching this precip move back over Florida and South Georgia right now?  Intriguing. 

32 with sleet and freezing rain. Decent batch of precipitation about to enter the state. They have 2 hour delay for school down here.

Thanks for keeping us updated down there.  I'm very interested in this second round of precip down there, I didn't realize this was going to happen.

Snowfall Totals from NWS GSP

Mountains and Foothills

Thank you for posting, this thing appears to be dead on.  I received exactly 2.5"

On a side note, anybody else watching this precip move back over Florida and South Georgia right now?  Intriguing. 

ditto - that map was spot on for this area as well....although it has compacted some today (dang it lol) just measured as the sun was going down and about 1.5" left.  most things closed tomorrow here as well.  three people tried to get into the neighborhood and all three turned around unsuccessful.  the sun did melt parts on the roads not in the shade but they have already frozen over.  no melting in the shade (in the 20s all day here)

edited to add:

duh, just went to check on the updates for lows tonight and saw the advisory out til in the morning for driving and black ice (schools were closed here yesterday and bet they dont want to risk an atl event :)

Thanks. She'd be going from Buckhead to Inman Park after dark tomorrow.

They usually keep Piedmont clear, and if she goes down to Monroe, then over to Ponce, and down to Briarcliff, she'll be on roads traditionally kept clear...at least when I lived both places.  But no promises.  Still with heating tomorrow, she'll probably be fine on those main roads.  T

They usually keep Piedmont clear, and if she goes down to Monroe, then over to Ponce, and down to Briarcliff, she'll be on roads traditionally kept clear...at least when I lived both places.  But no promises.  Still with heating tomorrow, she'll probably be fine on those main roads.  T

Thanks, Tony. I'll let her know. And the +1 makes Dr. Feelgood feel good himself lol.

Archived