• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28-1/30 SE Winter Storm OBS

NavarreDon

About 5" here, really about 4" of SN with an inch of ice underneath.  Roads are a disaster, the IP till about midnight created more issues with the roads as opposed to if it would have been a straight SN event.  Kinda feel like it was a bit of a bust here, plinking lasted longer than I though it would, and we lost at-least 4" of SN as a result.  Still, I got my snow, happy, and cold.

Measured 4.5 in snow on a patio table outside that was protected from the wind. Guessing a total of 1 to 1.5 in sleet. Might try to make to drive to my dads hill to go sledding but the roads are really really bad.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About 5" here, really about 4" of SN with an inch of ice underneath.  Roads are a disaster, the IP till about midnight created more issues with the roads as opposed to if it would have been a straight SN event.  Kinda feel like it was a bit of a bust here, plinking lasted longer than I though it would, and we lost at-least 4" of SN as a result.  Still, I got my snow, happy, and cold.

When it packs down, it's the same either way. I'd rather have a sleet base or top to keep the snow around for longer.

Really, really surprised at the melted down ratio when I brought in the gauge to thaw. 5 depth measurements across the yard averaged out to 4.3", and the melted core watered down to .67" !!! I really expected it to be much less. Looking back, though, we did start out with a period of graupel for about a half hour- maybe a little longer.

1.5" at my house according to my wife, neighborhood is a sheet of ice but she says other areas aren't bad. Road was closed last night that our neighborhood sits off of according to friends. Anyone got the official measurement from KCLT? Want to see how it compares.

not 100% sure but i think I heard Brad P. says it was .9"

It was fun. I know a lot of folks on here will cry bust and make a bunch of dumb statements bout how horrible it was (which is justified for those in CHS, SAV, etc...). Let's just remember something, it was 19 and snowing. It was the finest driest snow I've ever seen here and that in it self was pretty awesome. Not to mention all the fun and excitement of tracking the storm. Some people need to remember to just enjoy what you get. Still better than the winter of 2012 even if you just got a dusting. 

Excellent post, Burgermeister!!  I heartily agree.

Sleet!

Congrats, Metalman!  Glad you're getting to see something wintry.

As I posted last night, we ended up with 1.5 inches here in NW Hickory.  Just got back from sledding on the roads with the kids.  There is zero traffic, and the roads are hard packed and slick as long as they stay in the shade.  Apparently, no plowing whatsoever is occurring in Hickory.  I suppose they've just decided to let nature takes it course, but with the forecasted temp only projected to get right around freezing, it may take awhile.  The sun's rays will do much more damage than any ambient temperature today.  So, where the road stays shady, it will be staying snowy.

not 100% sure but i think I heard Brad P. says it was .9"

Thanks, we are where hwy 27 crosses the river so SHOULD usually be what the airport reports, maybe a little more/less depending on how banding sets up in situations like yesterday. I think we are closer to the 1-1.25" mark looking at video she sent. But that was in the backyard and maybe I have the same type of trees that Widre does in the 170 acres our lot backs up to :P

As a kid, sleet under some snow is a win.  A streak of days off school and primo sledding conditions.

As an adult, sleet under snow stinks! Awful driving conditions and major compaction.

I have been asked by my sis in Atlanta if she will likely be able to go drive to a dinner elesewhere in the city tomorrow night without much problem? Any guess? Or will it still likely be hard to go just about anywhere?

Dry here at the moment in SAV after a couple of hours of ZR earlier. There is a a light glaze on above ground objects and the temp.s has gone no where (still 31). 31 at 1 PM here is quite rare. Still watching to see if we're done yet as precip. is lingering pretty closeby just to the S.

I have been asked by my sis in Atlanta if she will likely be able to go drive to a dinner elesewhere in the city tomorrow night without much problem? Any guess? Or will it still likely be hard to go just about anywhere?

Dry here at the moment in SAV after a couple of hours of ZR earlier. There is a a light glaze on above ground objects and the temp.s has gone no where (still 31). 31 at 1 PM here is quite rare. Still watching to see if we're done yet as precip. is lingering pretty closeby just to the S.

read the snow apocalypse thread.  absolutely positively NO unless atl gets fixed.  it is still gridlock at 130, cars stuck 24 hours

everything here has already closed for tomorrow.  23 no melting snow everywhere.  we dont want to end up like the atl nightmare

If we get the same sun tomorrow as today conditions will be even more dramaticallly improved; to me it depends on where you live and where you're going.  If it's all main roads and traffic cams look good shouldn't be an issue.  Back roads depends on where it is and how much additional melting and drying winds up happening tomorrow.

Unofficially around 2-3 inches in and around Johnson City, TN. (some higher amounts north and west of the city)  I only posted an OB on topic so I could say this.............

Way to go Larry, excellent recognition from a week out that something was brewing. I know some got less than anticipated, some got more, but your statistical analysis really kicked this time period off nicely.  Congrats and keep up the good work!  The value you bring to the southeast forum is very nice.

Archived