• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/28-1/30 SE Winter Storm OBS

NavarreDon

That is understandable, when you don't have the experience and the equipment , things become a mess. In our area which is only slightly better prepared for events cancels everything hours before the snowfalls. Nasa Langley was closed at 1 and my wife's company closed at 3. Snow started at 4.

Yeah, if they could stagger things, but it's a massive town, with no pre training on how to act.  Number one, don't clog up the whole interstate, then leave your car and wander off, lol.  It's amazing to me how that lesson was forgotten after the last fiasco like this one.  In the 90's.  Cold into the 10's, and it starts up in the daytime.  Roads immediately freeze, and all it takes is the hills, and interchanges.  People panic.  Traffic stops.  And some poor school kids are stuck in a bus like it's a New Jersey Bridge...and it's just one or two hills folks can't get up.  You know, if the Gov would issue a set of those tire socks along with the pretty new garbage cans, this could all be avoided.  Sure they wear out in a mile or two, but folks could get up those hills :)  It's sad and embarrassing that 2 inches of snow can shut a city down, but Atlanta has been famous for that as long as I've been around, and, I'm sure, will continue to be so :)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Atlanta traffic is often a parking lot in late afternoons anyway.  So, the snow and road conditions just exacerbated the problem.  It's nothing to be stuck in Atlanta traffic for a couple of hours on a normal work day.  All it takes is a small bump up or accident.

TW

Yeah, I did some jobs up in Alpharetta, and it would take 3 hours to get there in the morning, and 3 1/2 to 4 to get back at night..if there were no wrecks, or nekked ladies dancing on the side of the road, lol.  I've often said if a terrorist group wanted to shut down Atl, do something unusual on the side of every interstate going in to town.  Pole dancers, dancing bears.  Man on stilts.  The whole city would just collapse.  I got stuck down town during freaknik one year.  Folks having fun, going slow.  We used to do it at Daytona on the beach, these kids did it on the downtown interstates, lol.  It shut the city down.   I sat for 3 or 4 hours by the stadium and it was spring time.  No problems any where.  Just folks cruising, having a great time.

Too many people, too many cars, too many hills, too long a commute :)  Atl is ripe for this kind of disaster.  I've told Larry I think if Atl had to go through another ice storm like we had, lots, and lots of folks will die.  Every road impassible because of down lines and 4 trees down a block.  No one with chainsaws, no civil defense plans, people living up cul de sacs where they could be trapped for a week or more, and no one to get to them.  Atlanta was a city of less than a million then.  It's way bigger now, and way less prepared.  The saving grace is these things are rare.   Still, I did my part and moved out of town :)  I learned my lesson.   T

Flipped to snow southside of Greenville nice big flakes good rates and the radar makes me smile hard to say just how much we end up with but looks like solid snow for at least 4-6 hrs I hope.

Very close to downeast's report. Moderate snow on the south side of Greenville, nc with sleet already about a .5" on the ground. Hope it keeps going!

Strange, it's still snowing at my house in High Point.

Snow fired back up here for the past 20-30 minutes, Radar shows some back building echoes. Just watch last hour loop almost pushed back into the east and south side of Charlotte. maybe we can squeeze out another hour, should help prolong the triangle guys and help them get closer to their forecasted totals.

Just over 3" IMBY from this storm. Great day here! Beautiful day watching it snow all day! My thoughts and prayers go out to all of the people up around Atlanta that are still stranded or in shelters away from their families. It is truly unbelievable! I am very fortunate that my wife teaches at the local high school 1 1/2 miles from the house and both of our kids attend school there. I worked in my office from home today. No traffic jams in our area. Just slick two lane country roads.

I think the biggest problem in Georgia was not busted forecasts as much of the lack of understanding and informing about how even a small amount of snow can cause big problems when it falls with temps in the upper teens and low 20s. That should have been no surprise today, but is very unusual in Georgia. Temps are nearly always borderline and snow usually melts for awhile before accumulating. 1996 was the last time I remember it snowing here with temps this cold.

Well, looks like it was a pretty big bust for RDU. About 1.75" but was really hoping for at least 3". Hoping to be pleasantly surprised to another 1/2" when I wake up but not holding my breath!

I live in eastern nc and have yet to see any snow if that makes you feel any better lol. Things are supposed to change but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Archived