• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/28-1/30 SE Winter Storm OBS

NavarreDon

Thanks for the in-depth review, I haven't seen you post too much but you have been pretty darn accurate so far. We still have maybe 8 hours left?

21 degrees and a constant sleet. The roads are completely white...tomorrow is going to be interesting.

We wont see it end till late morning the good rates though will be over by 8-9am I think there is still a lot of stuff to the SW to work through here.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Negative.  I think we're about done, but we did better than most expected.  I've probably got around 2"... I'll measure after the snow shuts off in a little while.

Radar shows nothing here, but snow continues to fall.  Is it snowing at all there still?

EDIT: You know, the RAP gives us close to another tenth of liquid, but I'm not sure I buy that.

I think we can grab a few more flakes with that second band coming in over the mountains.

About the bold, I watched closely last night/early this morning to see if any of the forecasters had any guts to say "hey it might snow more than what we are showing tomorrow" but not a single one did. Not ken cook, surely not glen f'n burns, or anyone on 46 and 11. As usual, all they did was copy and paste what the nws is forecasting..virtually word for word..and of course follow their silly rpm model or whatever their crappy in house models show. It was frustrating at the time because we all knew that there was potential for more than a dusting north of town. I'm not saying they should have called for 2 to 4 inches or whatever but they could have AT LEAST pushed the idea that it COULD snow more than the half inch/dusting they were calling for and not just be robots (or parrots) with the forecast.

Like I said above though, what is especially troubling, if not just stupid, is ffc and the local mets went crazy the last 2 times there was a chance of rain ending as snow and advisories were issued. In the end, the roads weren't bad because the temps weren't that cold at first and they dried off before it did drop. In this case, the temps were way below freezing and common sense will tell you that there would be some melting and refreezing on the roads..even if there was a half inch. The inconsistency between the prior 2 events and this one does not make sense to me.

Yeah.  I think what should have been said was:  "Look this has the potential to be bad.  It's very cold, below freezing, and we know we will have precipitation.  So if you can have your employees work from home, you really need to do that."

Our superintendent of schools reacted within half an hour of it starting to fall and closed, but it was just too late to get the buses through all the routes and get the kids home.  And then there are the problems on the interstates and city streets. I'm listening to a GDOT employee on 11alive right now, and she is blaming the stuck/stranded drivers for the roads being bad, because they're "in the way of GDOT's crews".  Heh.

About the bold, I watched closely last night/early this morning to see if any of the forecasters had any guts to say "hey it might snow more than what we are showing tomorrow" but not a single one did. Not ken cook, surely not glen f'n burns, or anyone on 46 and 11. As usual, all they did was copy and paste what the nws is forecasting..virtually word for word..and of course follow their silly rpm model or whatever their crappy in house models show. It was frustrating at the time because we all knew that there was potential for more than a dusting north of town. I'm not saying they should have called for 2 to 4 inches or whatever but they could have AT LEAST pushed the idea that it COULD snow more than the half inch/dusting they were calling for and not just be robots (or parrots) with the forecast.

Like I said above though, what is especially troubling, if not just stupid, is ffc and the local mets went crazy the last 2 times there was a chance of rain ending as snow and advisories were issued. In the end, the roads weren't bad because the temps weren't that cold at first and they dried off before it did drop. In this case, the temps were way below freezing and common sense will tell you that there would be some melting and refreezing on the roads..even if there was a half inch. The inconsistency between the prior 2 events and this one does not make sense to me.

I agree with everything said here.....the thing is until the average person pays any bit of attention to weather, things like this will still continue to happen.  Just like with every EF-5 tornado, you still get the interviews with people who said it hit their house with no warning and you sit there and wonder how that could be?  Would better warnings help....how could they not have ANY IDEA this could happen?  The only thing that would prevent a day like this here is if at LEAST 24 hours in advance all the local media said...."do not got out, close everything, emergency situation".  I truly believe that's what it would take to avoid this.  Too many people are truly clueless about weather to avoid this and schools and businesses are not going to go out on a limb unless there is proof positive.

I think we can grab a few more flakes with that second band coming in over the mountains.

I had no hope for it, but it is starting to really book it east as it seems to be rebuilding on the lee side of the Apps, isn't it?  The radar looks better for NC_WX10's neck of the woods up towards Reidsville, but it does seem to be building south some.  We're down to borderline light snow/flurries here now.

LOL! Sorry for the meltdown earlier. Just frustrating seeing the snow so close. It finally came to Columbus, and boy did it! Here are a handful of pics I took from around the area: https://www.facebook.com/deborah.bellskolnick/media_set?set=a.10202054020524491.1073741879.1006068769&type=1&comment_id=6132628&ref=notif&notif_t=comment_mention#!/david.wrbltvmeteorologist/media_set?set=a.594767067260583.1073741825.100001818857750&type=3

My family in Columbia is reporting snow and already has a cartopper. I still can't believe some of the nightmares I am hearing about in here. 

Why were so many out on the roads?

Yeah, you need to check out some of the Atlanta live feeds right now, it is the worst I've ever seen.  They just did an interview with a teacher at some school in Atlanta.....ALL of the students are still there and are there for the rest of the night.  No one can get to or from there.  She just remarked that parents had nothing to worry about since they have a fantastic "culinary program" so no one's going hungry.  This is surreal.  

The snow is still coming down at a steady rate here in Belmont. If you enlarge the radar, we are literally RIGHT ON THE EDGE and it keeps BARELY filling back in. The snow is still coming down though and the grass is totally covered. We are close to 2". The secondary roads are awful and they will be an ice rink in the morning. Good luck to the winners of the heavy snow bands out in NE NC and SE VA. GOOD LUCK to all the persons having to endure ice. I hate that for them. 

I agree with everything said here.....the thing is until the average person pays any bit of attention to weather, things like this will still continue to happen.  Just like with every EF-5 tornado, you still get the interviews with people who said it hit their house with no warning and you sit there and wonder how that could be?  Would better warnings help....how could they not have ANY IDEA this could happen?  The only thing that would prevent a day like this here is if at LEAST 24 hours in advance all the local media said...."do not got out, close everything, emergency situation".  I truly believe that's what it would take to avoid this.  Too many people are truly clueless about weather to avoid this and schools and businesses are not going to go out on a limb unless there is proof positive.

And there are some people who are smart enough and interested in weather enough to know it is coming, but if their employers won't let them WFH, they have to go in and just deal with whatever happens.  Most businesses won't even consider closing even if the schools close.  Yeah, I have a spouse who has been stuck in traffic for 7 hours and is still over 20 miles away.  Because he felt like he had to go to work even though we knew this was coming.  Grr.

I think the only thing that would change if the average person paid more attention to the weather is that some popular media weather forecasters would have more pressure on them to do it right.  Maybe.

I had no hope for it, but it is starting to really book it east as it seems to be rebuilding on the lee side of the Apps, isn't it?  The radar looks better for NC_WX10's neck of the woods up towards Reidsville, but it does seem to be building south some.  We're down to borderline light snow/flurries here now.

Yeah I definitely like the looks of it. But it is expanding to the south.

Yeah, you need to check out some of the Atlanta live feeds right now, it is the worst I've ever seen.  They just did an interview with a teacher at some school in Atlanta.....ALL of the students are still there and are there for the rest of the night.  No one can get to or from there.  She just remarked that parents had nothing to worry about since they have a fantastic "culinary program" so no one's going hungry.  This is surreal.  

That's the one bonus.  We didn't get ice (to break trees), and I haven't heard about any power outages.  The schools are well heated and the lunchroom freezers are well stocked.  They won't be cold or hungry.  The teachers will make sure they are ok.  (We don't appreciate teachers enough.)

Yeah I definitely like the looks of it. But it is expanding to the south.

Both the NAM and its Hi-Res counterpart do look good for another bit of precipitation.  The Hi-Res even backbuilds a little to clip us.  I'm not sure whether I believe that, but we may potentially not be done and whatever falls will obviously stick.  In any case, it's less than a tenth of liquid, but I'd imagine ratios are pretty good for us now.

I've actually got a lot of pixie dust flakes falling again with nothing on radar.

Both the NAM and its Hi-Res counterpart do look good for another bit of precipitation.  The Hi-Res even backbuilds a little to clip us.  I'm not sure whether I believe that, but we may potentially not be done and whatever falls will obviously stick.  In any case, it's less than a tenth of liquid, but I'd imagine ratios are pretty good for us now.

I've actually got a lot of pixie dust flakes falling again with nothing on radar.

The latest RAP gives us about .10 but idk if i believe that or not.

What in the world is up with Atlanta?

Still a few flurries but we're done with the snow; that's my obs for the thread.

If you could've heard the Georgia DOT spokeswoman on the news a bit ago she said "Pretreating roads doesn't help."  Also she said they didn't preposition the trucks because they didn't know where to go.

Here's a clue; bridges/overpasses/elevated roadways and the normal shady spots around here that ice up like on I-75 just North of Atl near Northside and Collier.

To be fair to FFC they had watches up last night; advisories for us up North didn't go until this morning; then the northern component of the snow caught folks off guard.  But if DOT would've been ready some of this mess could've been avoided.

Just hope nothing tragic comes out of this mess; just couldn't believe what that woman from DOT said...  It was incredible...

I think the only thing that would change if the average person paid more attention to the weather is that some popular media weather forecasters would have more pressure on them to do it right.  Maybe.

I do agree that it would help, but I still don't have any faith that it would help that much unless there was truly an apocalyptic storm that was 100% on the table.  There are just too many (not just individuals, but businesses etc....) that are clueless about current events in general.  I warned at least 3 people that it could get pretty bad here but no one listened to me......it's not that they think I'm stupid or anything, but it's out of sight out of mind..........oh yeahhhhh....snow...cooooll!  That mentality.  Of course more "forceful" forecasting may help, but then it's the old cycle of crying wolf if nothing happens.  

Archived