joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28-1/30 SE Winter Storm OBS

NavarreDon

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the back edge stretches all the way past Hickory.

If this snow keeps up at this rate, we're seriously good for like 4".  I don't know if it will, but it's pouring pixie dust out there.  The roads are a disaster.

The Triad has several more hours of snow to go, mostly light but pockets of heavier snow will be possible. I have ~1" on my deck right now and the snow is picking up. Very small flakes with slightly bigger ones mixed in now. The roads are HORRIBLE. My temp is 18degF. 

A nice little deform band is heading through the county. Total of less than 1/2".

Very nice in deed.

Definitely, Strong.  Very beautiful and more snow than I could have hoped for in the past couple of days.

I measured just over 3 cm on the back deck.

OK, fine, I'll use the units we're all more familiar with, but it doesn't sound nearly as impressive.  I'm just shy of 1.5 inches on the deck rail.  I'm sure if I measured in the grass, I could get 2+, but that's cheating.

The latest RAP model run has a band of precip bowing back over Atlanta for a few hours tonight before sinking south to central GA. Curious.

Radar and satellite has been intriguing this evening.  Just when it looked like it would quickly come to an end for me here between Atlanta and Athens, that big area of returns expanding up from the south has me glued to the laptop.  Nice to read there is some model support, and not just me wish casting for mby.

Still snowing. 

nice!  even though the heaviest have moved east, still getting stead, but light, snow falling.  it isnt pivoting/moving north from what i can tell in those frames, but its eastward move may have slowed own.  the RAP has shown one more band moving through parts of ga before the final end.  thats sort of what i am looking (hoping lol) for.

A nice little deform band is heading through the county. Total of less than 1/2".

Very nice in deed.

Definitely, Strong.  Very beautiful and more snow than I could have hoped for in the past couple of days.

I measured just over 3 cm on the back deck.

OK, fine, I'll use the units we're all more familiar with, but it doesn't sound nearly as impressive.  I'm just shy of 1.5 inches on the deck rail.  I'm sure if I measured in the grass, I could get 2+, but that's cheating.

Awesome sir!! Winding down now but I will call about 1/4". Seeing how I was not really expecting to see much, I sure am happy. Been snowing since 11:30.

Road are wreck here!

But I got my first jeb-walk in since a few years back!

Congrats to the lee side :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in wallace nc which is about 35 miles northwest of wilmington. I have over an inch of ice of my truck right now and its been sleeting hard for 2 hours now. I wish is would either rain or snow. Can't stand the ice!

Hey, Go down to the Mad Boar and have a beer on me!  Wallace is my hometown.

Radar and satellite has been intriguing this evening.  Just when it looked like it would quickly come to an end for me here between Atlanta and Athens, that big area of returns expanding up from the south has me glued to the laptop.  Nice to read there is some model support, and not just me wish casting for mby.

I am with you there.  I have right at 1" on my porch rail.  Seems we got more sleet than snow.  If we could be some big fluffy snow flakes than we just might make that 2 -3" mark.  I live in Loganville as well.

Measuring just barely 2 inches here on south side of FFC.  Awesome to get snow, but no real big deal IMHO.  Snow still really light. Saw nothing more than that all day.  I doubt we see anyone with more than 3 officially. Never saw the rates on radar to give anyone a real shot at that anywhere around the metro area at least.

The real story around ATL tonight and into tomorrow is going to be the traffic and school related nightmares that are ongoing. Most if not ALL the main interstates and secondary roads are completely gridlocked. Service and treatment vehicles are caught in the jams and cannot get to where they are needed. Roads are in horrible shape most places. The roads did not go downhill until this afternoon really as most surfaces were still warm(from last two days of torch) and they stayed wet with little accumulation until 3 or 4 oclock.

Now after sundown its all turning into Ice and the traffic cams around ATL are telling the story. You are either in gridlock and can barely move or the roads are deserted because of trucks jacknifed and vehicles all over the shoulders etc. Its a giant mess. I think that as the night goes on a lot of folks are going to run out of gas and they will leave their vehicles....its already started. Lots of students of many schools are either remaining at school overnight or are trapped in buses trapped in traffic. I do not recall seeing anything this bad in the last few big snow events of the last 20 years. Even the 93 Superstorm didnt result in this traffic situation unfolding.

This will be the legacy of this storm in ATL. Hopefully it does not end up being tragic. Folks just did not appear to think this through.

Archived