Newest Member
    joxey
1/28 - 1/30 Storm Thread II

burgertime

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To continue my thoughts from the other thread:

The trends look good for the south and east areas of the metro area. We need a 30 mile shift to get into quarter inch territory and an 80 mile shift for half an inch.

My guess is there is a very good chance that happens given the GFS last few runs. Euro should really come on board today as well. NAM will be rolling shortly so I'm excited to see if it keeps up with the northern energy digging more and that southern vort staying in tact. 

My guess is there is a very good chance that happens given the GFS last few runs. Euro should really come on board today as well. NAM will be rolling shortly so I'm excited to see if it keeps up with the northern energy digging more and that southern vort staying in tact.

I think climatology alone would suggest that shift but of course, time will tell.

On the ind members I am amazed at how many beasts there are, it's either feast or famine.

Let's hope the Euro and the rest follow the GFS today :-)

I think climatology alone would suggest that shift but of course, time will tell.

I am right at the sharpest part of the gradient. gfs gives me between 0.10 to 0.25. N. 30 miles northwest is almost nothing, while 30 miles southeast there could be 0.50 to 0.75. Nam is even sharper (and i'm right on the edge of accumulation. And that's the case all along the back edge. Literally the smallest of shifts either way will make or break it. . And that really goes for all of us right on the line from ga to nc. There will be some very heart broken folks no matter where it sets up while others are going to be jumping for joy just a few miles away. For those on the back edge, the good news is if we see a shift northwest comparable to what the 0z and 06z did, we/us will be in business. 

edit to say 09z sref looks like between 0.25 to 0.50 here.

Ugh I am so nervous. I haven't been this nervous in a long time. I feel like I'm 8 years old lol

Really good westward shift with the precip shield from 0 to 6z with the GFS and NAM, as was mentioned. I'm kinda surprised to see that big of a jump. One more jump like that would be a major hit for a whole lot of the area. We're go for Storm Mode.

It's closing in, I'm down to just needing 150 mile shift west. :o

I am right at the sharpest part of the gradient. gfs gives me between 0.10 to 0.25. N. 30 miles northwest is almost nothing, while 30 miles southeast there could be 0.50 to 0.75. Nam is even sharper (and i'm right on the edge of accumulation. And that's the case all along the back edge. Literally the smallest of shifts either way will make or break it. . And that really goes for all of us right on the line from ga to nc. There will be some very heart broken folks no matter where it sets up while others are going to be jumping for joy just a few miles away. For those on the back edge, the good news is if we see a shift northwest comparable to what the 0z and 06z did, we/us will be in business. 

Ugh I am so nervous. I haven't been this nervous in a long time. I feel like I'm 8 years old lol

You will love the SREF mean. 

The great play by play continues! Thanks to the mets and non-mets who give the rest of us insight as to what all the squiggly lines really mean. Your analysis is invaluable!

It's rare for me to be sitting in a potentially good spot to see some accumulating snow. All of the models currently give me 1-3", with the higher totals to my south and east. We'll see if a slight westward trend might yield some higher amounts for central Ga. Looking forward to Allen's discussion after lunch. He referenced a mix of Dec. '89 and Feb '73. I'm not sure what this area received in '89, but '73 dropped 15". I would be happy with just half of that!

I'm also looking forward to Delta's thoughts since I'm in his forecast area. Let''s hope the trends continue!

12z models will all have that new info in them correct?

This alert was generated by the National Weather Service

EMWIN (Emergency Managers Weather Information Network)

from messages received by DaculaWeather.com EMWIN server.

NOUS42 KWNO 261323

ADMNFD

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE

NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD

1321Z SUN JAN 26 2014

THE 12Z NAM HAS STARTED ON-TIME WITH 13 ALASKAN...30

CANADIAN...71 CONUS...9 MEXICAN AND 8 CARIBBEAN RAOB REPORTS AVBL

FOR INGEST.

This alert was generated by the National Weather Service

EMWIN (Emergency Managers Weather Information Network)

from messages received by DaculaWeather.com EMWIN server.

NOUS42 KWNO 261323

ADMNFD

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE

NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD

1321Z SUN JAN 26 2014

THE 12Z NAM HAS STARTED ON-TIME WITH 13 ALASKAN...30

CANADIAN...71 CONUS...9 MEXICAN AND 8 CARIBBEAN RAOB REPORTS AVBL

FOR INGEST.

Thanks Dacula as usual!!

Sure do..quite a bit wetter than earlier runs.

sref_namer_087_precip_p24.gif

I'm always a little confused about the black outlined areas .1, .25, .5 etc.. On the SREF compared with the colored areas for the same values. For example, RDU is in the .25 lined region but in the .5 colored region. I think it has something to do with the spread of the ensembles, but I'm not sure. Can someone clarify for me?

Archived