• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
How and when will this severe cold pattern end ?

Mikehobbyst

It is worth noting that each summer in succession since that torrid 2010 one has been noticeably cooler in the NYC area.

Thanks for posting this info.  I didn't have the data to back this up but I thought the last three summers were cooler than normal.  I hope the next few summers are below or near normal - I hate extreme heat

Will this cold snowy pattern end gradually within the next 2-3 weeks, or will a NESIS 5 storm likely end it and snap this pattern ?  Are there any signs of us getting into the 25-30 degree range on a steady basis after the two week pattern hardly making 20 for highs.  When is our next 40 ? When is our next cutter w/ rain. Is this 6-8 weeks away from happening ?  Just questions in my mind and to see if we have any chance of a mild up within the next four weeks, or no hope at all... Do any of you think we could have a 20 inch snowpack on the ground from 1/28 to 2/15 potentially ?  Are we in a 1 in 200 year type historical long duration freeze?  Once in a generation event unfolding right in front of us ?  I think we will shatter the following records between now and 2/28:  Longest subfreezing period since records began, for NYC might be upon us.  30-40 day subfreezing span looks likely from now till the last week in Feb as quite possible and viable with stable frigid pattern (-EPO, +PNA and P. Vortex parked in SE Canada for weeks on end..... I would love to have a summer with 65-70 highs with full sun. Would think after this coldest winter in many decades is over.  Spring may struggle 40-45 degree highs until Mid May. Back door season could be very brutal this spring.  I bet spring will be like March from April through Memorial Day, and this summer will be like early May weather at its worse.  It is just a feeling I have very strongly for this upcoming lack of warm season this year.  I bet our ocean water temps will be 15 degrees below normal for Spring and summer, meaning 40 degree water until late May and 55-60 degree water during the summer this year.  I bet this will happen... It just seems like we are in for a never before weather pattern that will taake us potentially into unchartered territory.  Mets is this maybe possible ?  This is definately a volcano responsible winter somehow, or some major force we have yet to learn ....

any thoughts on the Yellowstone super-volcano possibly erupting this year? 

Will this cold snowy pattern end gradually within the next 2-3 weeks, or will a NESIS 5 storm likely end it and snap this pattern ? Agre there any signs of us getting into the 25-30 degree range on a steady basis after the two week pattern hardly making 20 for highs. When is our next 40 ? When is our next cutter w/ rain. Is this 6-8 weeks away from happening ? Just questions in my mind and to see if we have any chance of a mild up within the next four weeks, or no hope at all... Do any of you think we could have a 20 inch snowpack on the ground from 1/28 to 2/15 potentially ? Are we in a 1 in 200 year type historical long duration freeze? Once in a generation event unfolding right in front of us ? I think we will shatter the following records between now and 2/28: Longest subfreezing period since records began, for NYC might be upon us. 30-40 day subfreezing span looks likely from now till the last week in Feb as quite possible and viable with stable frigid pattern (-EPO, +PNA and P. Vortex parked in SE Canada for weeks on end..... I would love to have a summer with 65-70 highs with full sun. Would think after this coldest winter in many decades is over. Spring may struggle 40-45 degree highs until Mid May. Back door season could be very brutal this spring. I bet spring will be like March from April through Memorial Day, and this summer will be like early May weather at its worse. It is just a feeling I have very strongly for this upcoming lack of warm season this year. I bet our ocean water temps will be 15 degrees below normal for Spring and summer, meaning 40 degree water until late May and 55-60 degree water during the summer this year. I bet this will happen... It just seems like we are in for a never before weather pattern that will taake us potentially into unchartered territory. Mets is this maybe possible ? This is definately a volcano responsible winter somehow, or some major force we have yet to learn ....

So is leaf out going to be in May or June this year?

Will this cold snowy pattern end gradually within the next 2-3 weeks, or will a NESIS 5 storm likely end it and snap this pattern ? Are there any signs of us getting into the 25-30 degree range on a steady basis after the two week pattern hardly making 20 for highs. When is our next 40 ? When is our next cutter w/ rain. Is this 6-8 weeks away from happening ? Just questions in my mind and to see if we have any chance of a mild up within the next four weeks, or no hope at all... Do any of you think we could have a 20 inch snowpack on the ground from 1/28 to 2/15 potentially ? Are we in a 1 in 200 year type historical long duration freeze? Once in a generation event unfolding right in front of us ? I think we will shatter the following records between now and 2/28: Longest subfreezing period since records began, for NYC might be upon us. 30-40 day subfreezing span looks likely from now till the last week in Feb as quite possible and viable with stable frigid pattern (-EPO, +PNA and P. Vortex parked in SE Canada for weeks on end..... I would love to have a summer with 65-70 highs with full sun. Would think after this coldest winter in many decades is over. Spring may struggle 40-45 degree highs until Mid May. Back door season could be very brutal this spring. I bet spring will be like March from April through Memorial Day, and this summer will be like early May weather at its worse. It is just a feeling I have very strongly for this upcoming lack of warm season this year. I bet our ocean water temps will be 15 degrees below normal for Spring and summer, meaning 40 degree water until late May and 55-60 degree water during the summer this year. I bet this will happen... It just seems like we are in for a never before weather pattern that will taake us potentially into unchartered territory. Mets is this maybe possible ? This is definately a volcano responsible winter somehow, or some major force we have yet to learn ....

I have an eerie feeling between 1/28 and 2/1 we have a PV complete phase in with a southern stream impulse for a Miller B HECS, NESIS 4+ event. Something that could potentially bring 18-24 inches of snow to the NYC and LI area with 50 knot winds. Severe blizzard event. I am riding this out until I am proven wrong. I just have an extra sense feeling we will have 40-50 inch snow depths, drifts to ten + feet and temps below zero for a once in generation event to close out January for our immediate area. Pattern has the earmarks for something very special and extreme. Looks like the only way it will break or snap back to normal cold. Please consider the possibility being not impossible. Let's critique this post when the dust settles and revisit.

And I've gotten slapped for one or two of my posts? Lol

Even though this thread is a joke, it did get me thinking that I read a while ago that there has been a sharp decrease in sunspot activity. There has been a few recent articles (from the past couple of weeks) that did mention this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25743806

Now I'm not going to pretend that I am a climatologist by any stretch, I would put stock in this winter being somewhat contributed by the lack of solar activity.

Will this cold snowy pattern end gradually within the next 2-3 weeks, or will a NESIS 5 storm likely end it and snap this pattern ?  Are there any signs of us getting into the 25-30 degree range on a steady basis after the two week pattern hardly making 20 for highs.  When is our next 40 ? When is our next cutter w/ rain. Is this 6-8 weeks away from happening ?  Just questions in my mind and to see if we have any chance of a mild up within the next four weeks, or no hope at all... Do any of you think we could have a 20 inch snowpack on the ground from 1/28 to 2/15 potentially ?  Are we in a 1 in 200 year type historical long duration freeze?  Once in a generation event unfolding right in front of us ?  I think we will shatter the following records between now and 2/28:  Longest subfreezing period since records began, for NYC might be upon us.  30-40 day subfreezing span looks likely from now till the last week in Feb as quite possible and viable with stable frigid pattern (-EPO, +PNA and P. Vortex parked in SE Canada for weeks on end..... I would love to have a summer with 65-70 highs with full sun. Would think after this coldest winter in many decades is over.  Spring may struggle 40-45 degree highs until Mid May. Back door season could be very brutal this spring.  I bet spring will be like March from April through Memorial Day, and this summer will be like early May weather at its worse.  It is just a feeling I have very strongly for this upcoming lack of warm season this year.  I bet our ocean water temps will be 15 degrees below normal for Spring and summer, meaning 40 degree water until late May and 55-60 degree water during the summer this year.  I bet this will happen... It just seems like we are in for a never before weather pattern that will taake us potentially into unchartered territory.  Mets is this maybe possible ?  This is definately a volcano responsible winter somehow, or some major force we have yet to learn ....

Gonna keep a running tab on this..

Yes, today.  And today.  Cutter?  Probably in the next week or two.

Not looking good for a 20" snowpack either.  We are down to a few inches here in the city.

Even though this thread is a joke, it did get me thinking that I read a while ago that there has been a sharp decrease in sunspot activity. There has been a few recent articles (from the past couple of weeks) that did mention this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25743806

Now I'm not going to pretend that I am a climatologist by any stretch, I would put stock in this winter being somewhat contributed by the lack of solar activity.

But wouldn't that effect the entire globe? I believe the Northern Hemisphere as a whole has been warmer than normal this winter, with much of North America being the obvious exception.

Archived