Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA and the MD Fringes - January Part III

MAG5035

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just checking in, putting yesterday in books as 4".

Brutal morning working outside getting our trucks cleaned and started. Had to shut our building down and sent all iffice people home as our main water line is frozen in our water pit. Not fun trying to unthaw and play with water at these temps and wind. Honest to god my eyes were watering from the wind and my eye lashes stuck together!

So I was looking at the New England forum last night. All bragging and blizzards, right?

Oh, my gosh no. You'd be about as wrong as the 84 Hour NAM with a virus. There was wailing and gnashing of teeth, mass freakouts, etc. because there were some that missed out on the storm.

You know, if I'd live in New England and missed this one, I'd be like you know what, not a prob, congrats to those who got it because I get my share. I am sure many of you'd be the same. I think those guys were freaking out more than the Mid-Atlantic DC people.

Anyway you slice it, that's crazy cake, man. Outright insanity.

Just checking in, putting yesterday in books as 4".

Brutal morning working outside getting our trucks cleaned and started. Had to shut our building down and sent all iffice people home as our main water line is frozen in our water pit. Not fun trying to unthaw and play with water at these temps and wind. Honest to god my eyes were watering from the wind and my eye lashes stuck together!

I've had the eye lash stick together thing and that really sucks. Feel for ya, brother.

So I was looking at the New England forum last night. All bragging and blizzards, right?

Oh, my gosh no. You'd be about as wrong as the 84 Hour NAM with a virus. There was wailing and gnashing of teeth, mass freakouts, etc. because there were some that missed out on the storm.

You know, if I'd live in New England and missed this one, I'd be like you know what, not a prob, congrats to those who got it because I get my share. I am sure many of you'd be the same. I think those guys were freaking out more than the Mid-Atlantic DC people.

thats funny stuff right there....crazy cake....:)  Agreed though.  Its not nice to hog all the snow.  Share the love....share the love.

Nut

Nobody outside of Jamie or Mag should get to excited over clippers.

He's in UNV so he can cash in as well. UNV qpf is .04, .11 and .19 for the clippers on 12Z so given how good ratios tend to be for clippers, I'd say only Thu is under an inch on the models, literally.

But I don't think with these things it's wise to focus on details until 48 hours out. Just that they are there. Models seem to have fits with them, as we've just seen and have seen in the past (both under and over predicting qpf)

good to know, something for me to go laugh at. hope you've been well :)

DT mentioned this morning that there are signals of something running from the south and hitting the cold air around the 4-10 of February.

I know some are seeming jaded about being missed but it's still January. There's plenty of time. HM said winter was over after New Years and look how that's worked.

good to know, something for me to go laugh at. hope you've been well :)

Pretty good actually. Hope you've been well.

DT mentioned this morning that there are signals of something running from the south and hitting the cold air around the 4-10 of February.

I know some are seeming jaded about being missed but it's still January. There's plenty of time. HM said winter was over after New Years and look how that's worked.

Do you mean Henry Marguisity or the real HM? As in, the HM who posts here. 99% of this board knows HM as our guy.

One thing to keep in mind for those wanting a big dog, February and March are the times you are most likely to see a double digit snowstorm in central PA. So, there's that. Valentine's storm of 2007, PD II, the Feb 2010 storms and March 2011 are examples.

One other item to note, is a little gem Eric Horst always told us during my college days.  Double digit snow falls (10" or greater) occur once a decade on average in Pennsylvania.  Just a tidbit that always sits in my head when see day 15 threats punch out 15: of snow on the GFS or 84 hour clown maps on the NAM.

One other item to note, is a little gem Eric Horst always told us during my college days.  Double digit snow falls (10" or greater) occur once a decade on average in Pennsylvania.  Just a tidbit that always sits in my head when see day 15 threats punch out 15: of snow on the GFS or 84 hour clown maps on the NAM.

Yeah, they are rarer than people think.

He's in UNV so he can cash in as well. UNV qpf is .04, .11 and .19 for the clippers on 12Z so given how good ratios tend to be for clippers, I'd say only Thu is under an inch on the models, literally.

But I don't think with these things it's wise to focus on details until 48 hours out. Just that they are there. Models seem to have fits with them, as we've just seen and have seen in the past (both under and over predicting qpf)

I would gladly take a fresh inch of snow on top of the current snow that will not be going anywhere for a while... I am at 18.8" for the season so 2" would surpass last year's totals...

official low at MDT this morning was 2 degrees so 2nd coldest morning of 2014

That now gives us 8 days with a daily low below 10 degrees for the month of January... While daily average and high temperatures are not near record levels, some of the coldest Januarys on record didnt have too many more than what we have currently...

January 1994 had 11 days with daily low temps below 10 degrees, but the all time record -22 really helps pull down the monthly

January

Archived