• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and the MD Fringes - January Part III

MAG5035

Good time for a new thread as the storm has exited the area. Tonights 0z guidance continue to suggest a plethora of northern branch disturbances the next several days that for the most part could deliver mainly light snowfall to PA (especially western PA). GFS and Euro have been suggesting a better clipper traversing the region around hr 126-132 (Sun night into Monday morning) and that might be our next more widespread threat. GFS hung a nice stripe of snow on the folks that largely missed out on the brunt of Tuesday's storm, while the Euro low was further north and had more snow in northern and western Penn. 

Both models continue to be wall to wall cold for the eastern US. In the case of the GFS it's amazing how it's like the anti 2001-2002.. where it forecasted all kinds of cold in the longer range that never materialized. This winter pretty much every time it's occasionally showed a major warm up, it's either been muted or never happens. 

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Temps have really crashed tonight, looking at mesowest most stations in the LSV are in the low to mid single digits, with even a couple below zero here and there. Downright frigid in some parts of the central and west, with a couple -8 stations in the southwest below Pittsburgh (fresh snow), -5 in Clearfield, -8 in Punxy,  -6 at Indiana, and -4 at Johnstown. Most State college mesowest stations are below zero with the Stormstown one reporting -7. 

-1 here. 

-2.1 here today.

I am dealing with some medical issues here so I didn't get much of a chance to participate in the last non snow event here: less than.5 inch in  Wilkes-Barre PA. most k-12 schools are delayed due to weather. the college I teach/work at closed early yesterday due to poor weather. (lots of students commute from Lehigh valley)

Medical issues: I injured my back a few years ago and now have a spinal cord stimulator to manage pain. it is time to replace it. during the pre op testing, a couple of things popped up. most of those things are minor, but one did require more tests.  I am waiting for the test  results. (small mass in my lung--most likely scar tissue from a previous illness)

it would really be nice if one of these storms would deliver the axis of heaviest snow a couple hundred miles farther to the north and west. I'm pretty sure Philly and NYC have at least doubled my season snowfall so far. it's starting to remind me of '09-'10 all over again.

Temps have really crashed tonight, looking at mesowest most stations in the LSV are in the low to mid single digits, with even a couple below zero here and there. Downright frigid in some parts of the central and west, with a couple -8 stations in the southwest below Pittsburgh (fresh snow), -5 in Clearfield, -8 in Punxy,  -6 at Indiana, and -4 at Johnstown. Most State college mesowest stations are below zero with the Stormstown one reporting -7. 

-1 here. 

amazing now that twice this January LSV region has fallen to near 0 degrees not on nights with high pressure overhead and calm winds but with windy conditions... its so cold my snowblower and outdoor temperature sensor both decided they don't feel like working today...

Low of -4° at my apartment in Bellefonte.  My car thermo dropped as low as -7° in the stream valley south of town and it generally reads high.  Lots of frost and steam from the Logan Branch of Spring Creek.

My boss just got in and he had -15° at his house in rural Clearfield County outside of Houtzdale.

-1 here. 

amazing now that twice this January LSV region has fallen to near 0 degrees not on nights with high pressure overhead and calm winds but with windy conditions... its so cold my snowblower and outdoor temperature sensor both decided they don't feel like working today...

Tried starting my blower last night...nada.

Looks like several opportunities for snow over the next 10-12 days. HM says to keep watching the 29th to 31st period.

Saturday's clipper looks pretty healthy for western and northern PA on the 06z NAM and GFS.  If we get enough clippers to move through, one usually over-performs up here.

Saturday's clipper looks pretty healthy for western and northern PA on the 06z NAM and GFS.  If we get enough clippers to move through, one usually over-performs up here.

Yep. UNV's winter could have been even worse than 19" if it weren't for two overperforming clippers.

We got to -8.3 this am for the low, currently -5.6

Archived